Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's the thing, here or up north, the weather is a bigger threat than anything else. If it's in the summer. insects are just as likely to kill you as is a bear! I've been in mosquitos so thick that the idea of closing my eyes and running blindly off a cliff was not unattractive!
Last year, on a hike at the north end of the Rocky Mountain trench, The 22 I carried for grouse was of much greater value than was the 35 Whelen carried for big game. After a couple of weeks, I would have happily swapped the Whelen for it's weight in Kraft dinner (We were low on grub)! Anyway, while I do occasionally carry a pistol, a 22 is the best choice for me. To tell the truth, I can feed myself much better with a sawed off 22 rifle (I use an old, cut down, Model 67 Winchester. Light, accurate, and durable) than with any pistol.
If I was on the Appalachian trail, I would count on my age and homely appearance to protect me from molestation and I think I'd be OK. I figure my old, wrinkled, butt wouldn't arouse even the most depraved hillbilly! GD

BP-B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
He had some gear. I think a bag and tent. He was hiking the Bob from west to east. Had apparently been out for a couple weeks, and only had about 18 miles to go.

I'll see if I can dredge up the news story.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK,so who here has walked the damn thing? This is the A trail and I've walked from NC thru Va and the only thing I came across was a stray dog and a small pot patch...I carried a S&W M15

there before we run all 4 wheels of the road on this thing....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rifle
OK,so who here has walked the damn thing? This is the A trail and I've walked from NC thru Va and the only thing I came across was a stray dog and a small pot patch...I carried a S&W M15 ....

Hah! The first time I walked a section of the AT, south of the NOC, I carried a S&W M15, and I felt distinctly over-gunned. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rifle
OK,so who here has walked the damn thing? This is the A trail and I've walked from NC thru Va and the only thing I came across was a stray dog and a small pot patch

Your experience is statistically [bleep] meaningless. I've hiked a couple hundred miles of the GA/NC AT and most of the Benton McCaye Trail. I carried a pistol every step and will do so next trip. I don't expect to get mauled but neither did this guy:

http://m.missoulian.com/news/state-...ca4df02-010b-11e2-8f2f-001a4bcf887a.html

Black bears in the Bob are bad asses just like black bears in GA can be. I've seen WMA signs made out of thick metal (like highway signs) lagged bolted 7ft off the ground with the top corners bent down like a paper airplane. They do that out of boredom.

In the GA counties the AT runs through there are probably a dozen bears killed WAY over 350#, with a few near 500# every year.

I've skinned out an 8ft Hinchinbrook AK brownie and a small 200# GA blackie. Even that little blackie was one powerful looking beast when I peeled the hide off of him.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Wow, I was right there at Moose Creek near the wall about a month ago. It was 90F every afternoon. Amazing how fast the weather can change in that country. I remember seeing humongous cornices (in JULY) still hanging 20-30ft over the top of the Chinese Wall. Beaucoup snow last winter for sure. I'm sorry for that guy and his family.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good God.. a handgun on the AT? Seriously?

Drama queens.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Might need one for two legged critters.......generally the only thing you need to be afraid of in the woods anyway...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Might need one for two legged critters.......generally the only thing you need to be afraid of in the woods anyway...

Yep, or Fido. Also, I have to drive to get to the AT, through and or around the "Ring Around the Congo" as truckers call I-285. I tend to have a G19 with me, and I don't leave guns in cars. Might be okay in MT, hell, I've noticed people don't even lock their cars in MT. Don't try it if you coexist with the descendants of Ham.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Brad

Drama queens.

Shush. This thread is hilarious.

Did you buy your BFR yet?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave

Drama queens.

Shush. This thread is hilarious.

Did you buy your BFR yet?

Travis

I'm going to buy two, that way I'm balanced. Ya just never know when you might need the extra ammo.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Drama queens.

I'll bet the Emersons still wish they had their Queen:

http://investigation.discovery.com/investigation/bizarre-cases/blood-mountain/blood-mountain.html

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A neighbor recently saw a "350 lb" black bear just up the river from our place.

After reading this thread and realzing how dangerous it is out in the real world, I'm not leaving the house without at least one 45-70 strapped to my hip.

On second thought, the bear might break into my house, I'd better sleep with one in each hand. whistle

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Or maybe the descendant of that 850lb monster griz that's mounted in the FS office in Lincoln will just rip your ass in half next time you take out the trash.

I think you oughta get an HPG Kit Bag and put a Claymore in it. Remember, "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY". We wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you when you squeeze the clacker.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Drama queens.

Why not have a light handgun, Brad?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, you ever been on the AT? It's not grizzly country where at least there's a potential reason to carry.

A "light" handgun is a minimum of 3/4lb with ammo... most are far more. Personally I carry as few pounds as possible, and most serious about the pastime are looking for ways to lose pounds, not add them.

But internet backpackers are different...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeff, you ever been on the AT? It's not grizzly country where at least there's a potential reason to carry.

A "light" handgun is a minimum of 3/4lb with ammo... most are far more. Personally I carry as few pounds as possible, and most serious about the pastime are looking for ways to lose pounds, not add them.

Yes, they are. I used to hang out over at Whiteblaze where all those [bleep]' girly men spent all day babbling about how to get their base weight from eight pounds down to seven. They didn't like me when I told 'em to get a [bleep]' barbell or at least a testosterone patch.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 09/17/12. Reason: spellin'
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
[I told 'em to get a [bleep]' barbell or at least a testosterone patch.

Well, you personally are on the right track thinking medication...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thinkin' I got scarred for life by Deliverance.......

My perspective on these things changed when I had girls. Me solo? Meh. What could happen, really. Me and my ladies? That's 3/4 pound I'll pack happily.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.