24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get you on that. It just seems kind of 'greenhorn' to bash a wolverine, but maybe that's just me. I don't like being within spitting distance of critters with their attitude.

And while I always like to tap winter-cut birch into halves at -20�, I can't imagine using the stuff to replenish a woodpile that has been burned through with more weeks of heat yet needed. Dead standing dry spruce sure isn't any harder to cut cold than warm and I imagine that's what they were after - or should have been. Either that or some of the millions of trees that topple into the river when the banks are eaten away during the summer.

Discovery did a nice job with Flying Wild, but that probably had a lot to do with the help of the folks they chose to center their show around. Most real "Yukon Men" wouldn't put up with the nonsense of having a camera crew traipsing in tow - or having to constantly drag their sorry asses out of the trouble they would be sure to get into. That's too bad. It could be an enlightening thing for many folks.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BP-B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Me personally, I'd be fine with a .22 short to the ticker and hope for no exit hole.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You want reality. I watched this yesterday and thought it was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVB0cpEPVA

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
M
Mfs Offline
M
Great post Northern Dave,
I had all of the same thoughts when watching the show. What about when the kid was yanking on the birch tree to pull up the beaver? Wouldnt it be much easier just to pull up the pieces of wood that had the snares (and beaver)? Does anyone know if the charachters get paid? I cant imagine they do this for free.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Welcome to the campfire, I see this is your first post.

What brings ya? How did you find the forums?

Something clever here.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've noticed quite a bit of the same thing pointed out in this thread. I actually enjoyed watch the Alaska guy and the Montana guy from "Mountain Men" a bit more than the "Yukon Men" show. Tom seems like a genuine guy that was more than likely told he needed to say "dangerous" and "it could kill us" to make the show.
Survivor Man is a good one IMO as was The Wild Within. I thought Steve was on to a sure thing with that show.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave,

You have a shop and some cool car projects. WTF were you doing wasting your time watching wanna be movie star poser "mountain men" on the idiot box?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I thought they were gonna give a bunch of people a pocket knife and a can of Beanie Weenie,...dump 'em on an Island, and the last one who hollered for his mama won.

LMAO

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I get you on that. It just seems kind of 'greenhorn' to bash a wolverine, but maybe that's just me. I don't like being within spitting distance of critters with their attitude.

And while I always like to tap winter-cut birch into halves at -20�, I can't imagine using the stuff to replenish a woodpile that has been burned through with more weeks of heat yet needed. Dead standing dry spruce sure isn't any harder to cut cold than warm and I imagine that's what they were after - or should have been. Either that or some of the millions of trees that topple into the river when the banks are eaten away during the summer.

Discovery did a nice job with Flying Wild, but that probably had a lot to do with the help of the folks they chose to center their show around. Most real "Yukon Men" wouldn't put up with the nonsense of having a camera crew traipsing in tow - or having to constantly drag their sorry asses out of the trouble they would be sure to get into. That's too bad. It could be an enlightening thing for many folks.

I trap and carry a leaded pipe about 3 foot long with about 12 inches of lead in a 1" black pipe.Stoves their skulls in one hit.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Dave,

You have a shop and some cool car projects. WTF were you doing wasting your time watching wanna be movie star poser "mountain men" on the idiot box?

I gotta lay off that stuff now and then too lott, I love a good reuben sammich too but I'd hate to ruin that for myself by eating em 3 times a day every day. grin

It's good to build a little hunger for your hobbies, it keeps the hobby fun and hobby-ish.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thin_man
Survivor Man is a good one IMO as was The Wild Within. I thought Steve was on to a sure thing with that show.

I believe a disgreement over content rights brought down The Wild Within. Steve wanted more rights to the content and the producers wouldn't budge, so he left and started Meat Eater.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good for him. I haven't seen a single episode of Meat Eater because I don't get the channel. I don't watch too much TV in general but that's one show I may have to pony up and buy.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Dave,

I gotta lay off that stuff now and then too lott, I love a good reuben sammich too but I'd hate to ruin that for myself by eating em 3 times a day every day. grin

It's good to build a little hunger for your hobbies, it keeps the hobby fun and hobby-ish.

Just funnin you. My garage is so full of crap I can't work on projects, so I guess I was just expressing some grief over that situation.

I used to get into project mode and just work night after night after night until the project was done. Don't know if I'm wiser or just older, but I can appreciate taking ones time and taking a break now and again.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
If it's something new to me, something I'm learning on and challenging my mind with, yeah then I can't walk away either, I gotta go until it's done.

But I can't run that hard all the way to completeion on "it's gonna be cool when it's done" anymore.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Body work and especially paint prep just plain suck!

I'm been halfheartendly looking for an early 70's skidoo tnt on craigslist as a restoration project. Not that I need another project, but they're pretty cool sleds and a small enough project that it won't drag out too long.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Right, vintage sleds can be a little quicker reward project wise, byt I know some guys that know how to stretch them projects out too, making the sleds WAYYYYY better than they ever were originally.

We have a 72 ski jet I need to restore, father inlaw purchased it new.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I tried to watch that "Survival" show a few years ago. I thought it may have potential.

Then I found out that people could be voted off the island.

What kind of survival is that?

I thought they were gonna give a bunch of people a pocket knife and a can of Beanie Weenie,...dump 'em on an Island, and the last one who hollered for his mama won.

Instead,...people were "voting".

It would have been fun if the producers had stumbled upon some *real* nutcase survivalist and gave him a part.

As soon as the first vote was cast against him, he'd club the cameraman upside the head with a coconut lashed to a stick of bamboo then eaten the liver of the person who voted against him.

My wife still doesn't understand why I was so upset when we were watching the very first episode of the very first Survivor season.

I thought they would leave some dumbasses from NYC on an island until they begged off and quit. Last one to stay wins. Then they started the popularity contest...and I started drinking...

M
Mfs Offline
M
Thanks Dave,
This site is great! I actually found the forums just by Google, one of the search results was one of your posts. More like Campfire Big Kahuna if you ask me ; )

F
F
This show should be retitled "Yukon Wimps." To trap small animals in metal leg trap should be illegal. It is cruel and inhumane. I realize nature itself is cruel at times in the way animals die so that others may live. That is part of the cycle of life and death.
These so called men who trap animals the way they depict on this TV show is hypocritical on the Discovery Channel's part.
These guys ought to get a real job.
On the one show where he attempts to club a trapped wolverine over the head and then shoot it is pathetic. He barely knocked the thing unconscious and then when he attempts to shoot it in the head to finish it off, his gun jams. Give me a major league break. Then he says that these are very rare animals (meaning the wolverine), then he kills the poor thing. Any wonder why they are extremely rare? That's why I say it is hypocritical. It's like those commercial fishermen fishing out groups of fish and then complaining about how there aren't many fish left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GFY

- Rogue
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
386 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.