Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
As far as extra burden goes, I don't see a huge difference between carrying a handgun, or carrying a can or two of bear spray.

A typical can of bear spray with 10-12 oz of net content, must weight about 16 oz with the can and all. A lot of spray carriers carry two cans. That's roughly two pounds.

Depending on what type of handgun one might choose, he could come in about the same overall, or even lighter.

I call that a wash.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's Brad's way, or your an idiot....

Pretty much....

I have lived and worked in Bear country my hole life and never once thought of Bear Spray and do not know one person who chooses it over a firearm.

I have been charged by a Black Bear after it got into our horses not knowing it was wounded previously and believe me,bear spray was not on my mind at all as a well placed shot from the .270 made him stop in his tracks/spin around swiping at his wound to fall deader than a door nail a few feet from me.

I also want a fighting chance if attacked not relying on someone else's opinion or studies knowing a bullet ends it all to 2 legged or 4 legged critters.....

I never want to see something like this........The Bear was coated with Bear spray and his paws were loaded with blood...Just happened in the Bob Marshal from a black bear.

Jayco

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Brad

Another aspect of arrogance, is totally ignoring the vast preponderance of evidence that bear spray is FAR MORE effective on bears than a handgun.

Really?

I'd appreciate you citing some sources for that.

Here's what I know: Herrero et al published a peer-reviewed paper last year that was the best and largest study to date looking at firearms vs spray, and their data suggested that pepper spray was only about 6% more effective than firearms (88% for firearms, 94% for spray, IIRC). The study was flawed in that it didn't differentiate types of firearms used, nor did it differentiate between shooters who were experienced/trained with them, and it didn't rule out bear attacks that were initially stopped by spray but then resumed when the bear had recovered from the initial shock of being sprayed. There were a lot of flaws in that study.

Gary Shelton, who is in many people's opinion the most experienced and knowledgeable bear defense expert in Canada quite pointedly does NOT endorse pepper spray over firearms. He does make the caveat that people who are going to carry firearms for bear defense really should take training in the use of same in order to fully utilize the advantage that a firearm can give you, but he doesn't recommend carrying spray rather than a gun. He DOES recommend that everyone in the party carry TWO cans of spray, and have training in their use, however.

I've had at least half a dozen up close and personal encounters with grizzlies. I'm still in the bear spray camp if forced to chose. That's based on reality, not some limited sense of my own manhood and a Freudian-like fixation with phallic symbols that go bang in my hand.

I've had about 2 dozen more close encounters with bears than you've claimed, Brad, but I have no illusions that this makes me a bear behavior/defense "expert". I have used bear spray once and a firearm twice against aggressive bears in my lifetime, the remainder were handled by avoidance training. But I certainly don't claim that this limited experience grants me any expertise.

I carry bear spray in bear country, but I also carry firearm(s) whenever feasible. The circumstances under which either should be used are not easily defined. But I've reached a point in my life where the only time I do NOT carry a firearm in bear country is when it's prohibited by law. FWIW, I don't have much faith in handguns as bear medicine, I much prefer a rifle or slug shotgun. I do carry a magnum revolver in black bear country at times, but even then I've done a lot of fishing with a slug gun slung over my shoulder.

And yes, I've had the training in the use of firearms for bear defense from authorized trainers. It's not rocket science, and it's not firearms wizardry beyond the grasp of the average hunter/rifleman.

Last edited by DocRocket; 09/19/12. Reason: handgun vs long gun comment

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I appreciate traveling light as much as anyone.

My typical springtime day on the hill. Small pack, extra layer, some food, some water, and on that day a 45-70 stoked with 405gr cast.

[Linked Image]

(and the self-propelled bear detector....grin)
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the only bears I worry about are those that walk upright. I don't like anyone enough nor am I agreeable enough to participate in some crap on a hiking trail.

Last edited by jimmyp; 09/19/12.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DocRocket,

Thanks for that intelligent post, and sharing your personal experience, which is far more than some of the self-appointed experts that have contributed(?) to this thread.

Not referring to you Doc, but reading this whole thread, the thought also occurred to me that it seems that frequently the first sign of arrogance is when a poster labels anyone else that doesn't agree with him as "arrogant". I think I may be onto something here.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What I have read on bear spray is always shoot down wind. If it blows back in your face you are fcked up and the bear would have a tasty meal. I don't think a firearm is that wind sensitive at close range. JMHO

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I could be guilty of arrogance now and then, but I honestly am not bothered if others agree with me or not.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep Doc...that was good...

Now just don't go arrogant on us because you are " The Most Interesting Man in the World"....

Stay thirsty my freind.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I hike in griz country, I carry bear spray. When I camp in a campground in griz country, I take a 44 Mag to bed with me at night. Black bears don't worry me. If you spend most of your time on the AT and just hit towns to get food etc then people prolly won't be a prob. If I wanted to carry a piece on the AT, it would prolly be a .38 snubbie..small, light, adequately effective.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WildWest
What I have read on bear spray is always shoot down wind. If it blows back in your face you are fcked up and the bear would have a tasty meal. I don't think a firearm is that wind sensitive at close range. JMHO

Do you suppose the bear will patiently wait until you move around to his upwind side so you can spray him? smile

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Hint, this thread is STILL about the Appalachian Trail,

I bagged a pair of peaks (just over 10 miles) today with a good portion of it on the AT (branched off at one point to go up the Flume Slide but looped back on).

Between the two, only an idiot would chose a firearm over the spray

There has big jump in "nuisance bear" issues at/around the Liberty Spring Tentsite. I guess my pard and I can both be labelled as idiots based on what we were carrying. I don't worry much about bears, though.....

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You guys do realize, don't you, that Ravery, the OP, hasn't posted since the day he started this thread and he hasn't been on-line for more than a week?

this line got me good--a real good laugh !

i note he was online on the 8th, so he may have garnered a juicy tidbit or two out of all the informative posts.

i could reckon he'll be well armed with info when the ap hike is done though...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Another aspect of arrogance, is totally ignoring the vast preponderance of evidence that bear spray is FAR MORE effective on bears than a handgun.

Really?

I'd appreciate you citing some sources for that.

Doc, check out the current issue of "Sports Afield". There is an article that discusses a recent report that was co-authored by five experts in the field of Bear Defense. They studied 269 incidents involving bear/human conflicts in Alaska over a 26 year period.

I found the article very interesting, but I doubt if it will change the minds of many people here, most of which have never seen a grizzly bear in the wild.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I'am on the AT I carry a keltec .380, Don't plan on getting in any firefights up there. As for the black bears I encountered, they don't hang around long enough to get sprayed. They don't like humans, they associate them with loud bangs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I carry bear spray in bear country, but I also carry firearm(s) whenever feasible.

The POINT TO REMEMBER about THIS THREAD is IT'S ABOUT SUMMER-[bleep]-TIME BAKCPACKING... not horsey packing, not dayhiking. It's about an already BURDENED person adding what many of us consider UNNECESSARY additional SUMMERTIME weight when one's trying to pare away ounces everywhere.

That many non-backpackers have chimed in here is arrogant and funny. You have no reason to have an opinion. OK, you can have your opinion like your azzhole, but not all opinions are created equal.

I've had a pile of pistols from a FA 4-3/4" 454 Casull to the S&W 63 22lr. I like pistols. I'm a decent handgun shot.

ON SUMMERTIME BACKPACK TRIPS I FIND AS PISTOL AN UNNECESSARY BURDEN WHEN SPRAY IS DOCUMENTED AS MORE EFFECTIVE AND IS LIGHTER.

In the fall when hunting things change. In a bear encounter I'll take a rifle over any pistol, and bear spray over any pistol. I pack a Ruger Security Six with hard-cast 180 LBT's when packing out dead elk... it's right there with spray but as a backup to the spray.

Were I bowhunting again I'd be packing a pistol and spray... a bowhunter is doing everything he shouldn't be doing in terms of having a bad bear encounter.

For [bleep] SAKE people, read the damn thread in context... this one is about summertime backpacking.

And the point about taking a human life stands as someone that's been there... you can blow your macho-[bleep] mouth all you want about taking a life, but it's a terrible thing.

And BTW Shane, even in a menopausal rage, I could hike your azz into the ground, and that's no guess.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ON SUMMERTIME BACKPACK TRIPS I FIND AS PISTOL AN UNNECESSARY BURDEN WHEN SPRAY IS DOCUMENTED AS MORE EFFECTIVE AND IS LIGHTER.

In the fall when hunting things change. In a bear encounter I'll take a rifle over any pistol, and bear spray over any pistol. I pack a Ruger Security Six with hard-cast 180 LBT's when packing out dead elk... it's right there with spray but as a backup to the spray.

Were I bowhunting again I'd be packing a pistol and spray... a bowhunter is doing everything he shouldn't be doing in terms of having a bad bear encounter.

For [bleep] SAKE people, read the damn thread in context... this one is about summertime backpacking.

Brad,

Heed you own advice there hero. Because you seem to be reading impaired I took the trouble to pare down the OP so you could figure out what the grownups are discussing.

Originally Posted by raverym14
There is a very slim chance of black bear, which are fairly small in the Southern Mountains, and cougar.

More worrisome are the two legged rats on the trail.

I had a cousin and her boyfriend murdered in their tent on the trail back in the 80's. No rape, no robbery, just shot in their sleep for the @#$$ of it.

A spray can of hot sauce is not the answer to this question no matter how much you want to justify your decision to let fate rule your outcome. Ease off the granola. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I said to the OP dumbazz (speking of reading impaired), you'd better be thoroughly and properly trained if you're going to carry in terms of the two-legged variety. I'd be willing to bet most that have posted here AREN'T. If not, you're better off with Mace and a knife.

But you're one of the penis impaired macho azzholes that seem to dominate this forum as a rule.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Originally Posted by raverym14
There is a very slim chance of black bear, which are fairly small in the Southern Mountains, and cougar.

More worrisome are the two legged rats on the trail.

I had a cousin and her boyfriend murdered in their tent on the trail back in the 80's. No rape, no robbery, just shot in their sleep for the @#$$ of it.

A spray can of hot sauce is not the answer to this question no matter how much you want to justify your decision to let fate rule your outcome. Ease off the granola. laugh

and a handgun would have prevented them getting shot in their sleep? wow.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Is it really that hard???

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1234, 16penny, 63 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,274
Posts18,448,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.