Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not worried about black bears much at all. Only cougars around here are of the human variety. Have hiked several stretches of the AT in NC with numerous females. Gary Michael Hilton killed a couple not far from where I trout fish. I hike and camp a lot in the back county in WNC. I carry a pistol with a minimum .40 when I am out, humans bother me way more than any critter we have around here. Never had the need for bear spray, have been glad I had a pistol several times. And, Yes I have the mind set and training to use it.

Carry what you want, it is your personal decision that you have to live or die with. Never met Montana Marine, but have never known him to be arrogant or give bad advice.

BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I suppose I can continue to have an opinion as I have done "SUMMER-[bleep]-TIME BAKCPACKING" on the AT (disclosure: all in New England so far).

That said, I will continue to carry on my trips. It doesn't bother me if you, or anyone else, chooses not to do so in order to cut down weight. I made a decision a long time ago relative to off-duty carry and I stand by it.

Out of curiosity, how often do you carry in general?

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

But you're one of the penis impaired macho azzholes that seem to dominate this forum as a rule.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

I don't care who you are that schit is funny. laugh

Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Originally Posted by raverym14
There is a very slim chance of black bear, which are fairly small in the Southern Mountains, and cougar.

More worrisome are the two legged rats on the trail.

I had a cousin and her boyfriend murdered in their tent on the trail back in the 80's. No rape, no robbery, just shot in their sleep for the @#$$ of it.

A spray can of hot sauce is not the answer to this question no matter how much you want to justify your decision to let fate rule your outcome. Ease off the granola. laugh

and a handgun would have prevented them getting shot in their sleep? wow.

I doubt it and so did the OP. A spray can of hot sauce would not have saved the day, either.

My handgun (phallic symbol) will go a long way to preventing me from getting shot while I am awake. Nothing will save you if you are sleeping when you should be awake and proper precautions go a long way keeping you from being a victim.

Some choose to go through life hoping a �reason� for a pistol never shows up, our friend Brad is the classic example, others choose to live in a more proactive manner.

Roll the dice and takes your chances. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
then some people choose to go through life hoping a "reason" for a pistol does show up...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

Carry what you want, it is your personal decision that you have to live or die with. Never met Montana Marine, but have never known him to be arrogant or give bad advice.

I've met him and he's a good dude. Be happy to share a camp with him. Others on here, maybe not so much.

MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Some choose to go through life hoping a �reason� for a pistol never shows up, our friend Brad is the classic example, others choose to live in a more proactive manner.

I go through life hoping a "reason" for a pistol never shows up as well......but I prefer to be prepared just in case....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
then some people choose to go through life hoping a "reason" for a pistol does show up...

Prezactly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Prezactly.

Count me in. laugh
Here is 7.5 inches of throbbing power.
[Linked Image]

Only 5.5 inches but hey if 6 is average then that really isn't bad. Is it???

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of small penises, you never saw a thread you didn't want to choke with hero shots... tiny bears BTW. Should've let them grow up.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep Doc...that was good...

Now just don't go arrogant on us because you are " The Most Interesting Man in the World"....

Stay thirsty my freind.... grin

Yep, that's me... arrogant, and thirsty.

Most Interesting, I dunno... although I do tend to hang out in a tuxedo with my tie undone with hot younger chicks a lot more lately than I used to...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of small penises, you never saw a thread you didn't want to choke with hero shots... tiny bears BTW. Should've let them grow up.

Damn, those are my big ones. laugh It only goes downhill from there but luckily the pistols stay big and �turgid�.

I could post a pic of my truck if that would help. It is also kinda big.

I must be compensating for something.

One thing is for sure Brad at least you have your 50 year old good lady friend to hide behind when the boogey man shows up, that must be comforting.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, one thing's for sure, you were the ugly kid that couldn't get laid in HS and has made a career out of that frustration.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by McInnis

Another aspect of arrogance, is totally ignoring the vast preponderance of evidence that bear spray is FAR MORE effective on bears than a handgun.

Really?

I'd appreciate you citing some sources for that.

Doc, check out the current issue of "Sports Afield". There is an article that discusses a recent report that was co-authored by five experts in the field of Bear Defense. They studied 269 incidents involving bear/human conflicts in Alaska over a 26 year period.

I found the article very interesting, but I doubt if it will change the minds of many people here, most of which have never seen a grizzly bear in the wild.

I'll check it out, if I can find it on the newsstands... but keep in mind that I now live in West Texas, where the more popular outdoors mags run along the lines of Helicopter Hoghunter and Dynamite-Fishing Digest... so I might not find a copy easily...
grin

But the story you describe is probably based on the Herrero et al. study.

Like I said, I'm a confirmed pepper spray guy in bear country, regardless whether black or grizzly. Studies show it works most of the time, and any encounter with a bruin that leaves him/her and me alive is a win/win as far as I'm concerned. But I've had to sling lead twice in this lifetime on bruin and as far as I'm concerned there is NO replacement for displacement. As in, large projectiles displacing large volumes of cardiovascular organs in the target organism.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
The AT runs from Georgia on up through Maine. Hard to imagine the whole thing is 'in town'.

[Linked Image]

Looking at where that trail runs I have to believe there are places there you could not even legally carry a hand gun. Especially if you crossed a State line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OSB
The AT runs from Georgia on up through Maine. Hard to imagine the whole thing is 'in town'.

[Linked Image]

Looking at where that trail runs I have to believe there are places there you could not even legally carry a hand gun. Especially if you crossed a State line.

In MA you'd be arrested.

Another reason not to live back East.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brad, from what I've seen you post, I would say you are a very knowledgeable hiker and backpacker including the things associated with those activities such as clothes and equipment. I would also guess by your pictures you can combine those skills with elk hunting and do it successively.

IMO, that's where you are at your best here. No need for the animos where there is a disagreement. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSB

[Linked Image]

In MA you'd be arrested.

Another reason not to live back East.

And that, sadly, I agree completely with.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Brad, from what I've seen you post, I would say you are a very knowledgeable hiker and backpacker including the things associated with those activities such as clothes and equipment. I would also guess by your pictures you can combine those skills with elk hunting and do it successively.

IMO, that's where you are at your best here. No need for the animos where there is a disagreement. smile

George I wouldn't disagree. I'm a bit worn-thin (30 days in a row with 1 day off) and am tired of the lazy, macho, reading impaired, do-nothings on this forum that make a living sniping on others heels.

That wouldn't include you in any way BTW... you are the voice of sound, actual wisdom, and I'm going to sit on my hands from here on.

Bless you man... thanks for your kind thoughts.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
...And BTW Shane, even in a menopausal rage, I could hike your azz into the ground, and that's no guess.

That's good to know.

Since backpacking is a passion of yours, I would hope you can get up a hill.

I did the human pack mule thing more than once or twice, but that isn't a passion of mine.

And if you look at the title of this thread it says HIKING. That can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

The funny thing is, I do read many of your posts and admire most of the stuff you have recounted here. Your actions are worthy of respect. It's YOU who is a strange bird.

Have a great day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
...And BTW Shane, even in a menopausal rage, I could hike your azz into the ground, and that's no guess.

That's good to know.

Since backpacking is a passion of yours, I would hope you can get up a hill.

I did the human pack mule thing more than once or twice, but that isn't a passion of mine.

And if you look at the title of this thread it says HIKING. That can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

The funny thing is, I do read many of your posts and admire most of the stuff you have recounted here. Your actions are worthy of respect. It's YOU who is a strange bird.

Have a great day.

Shane, I will have a great day. And I've said to my friend Dober, there's one guy I'd love to spend a day with to learn a few things, and that's you. You may find that hard to believe, but I mean it. I could learn a LOT in a few hours shooting with you.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.