24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spray on moly based mold release agent; 25 years, not a problem; wipe off easily with WD40.

Paste waxes are not even in the same discussion; next best choice is Brownell's spray release agent.

MM

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Mark, i have used Johnsons Pate wax for the last 6 stocks i have bedded.

+1
I've been using the same can of paste wax for almost 15 years and have never had a action stuck in a stock, cleans up fine with a little mineral spirits and a clean rag or paper towels.

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This discussion proves, there's more than one way to skin a cat... laugh

DF

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Kiwi, very thin and works great

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i use turtle wax, works great

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think, at this point, that I will be using a combination of Kiwi wax and a coating of the Brownells spray on release agent. Mostly I have to make double sure that I do not create a mechanical lock up with my bedding compound. I think this has been my nemisis in the past.

THANKS again to all who offerd intel and ideas. Much aappreciated. Follow up report to follow when my supplies get here from Brownells.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
You're a belt AND suspenders kind of a guy... laugh

Not a bad way to be.

DF

Kind of like when someone asks you which you prefer, blondes or redheads?

Both!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We use Johnson paste wax.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mark,

Add me to the Johnson's Past Wax crowd. I've done a dozen rifles with it with no problems. I did have to put one in the freezer for a couple hours but it was because I missed getting some on just forward of the receiver on the barrel. After a little chill down it popped right out.

I used vaseline on the first one I ever did, way back in my 20's. It worked fine.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
...... what do YOU all use as a relaible and easy release agent when glass bedding a rifle?

MARK

A 2x4 and a hammer....I am sorta ham-fisted eek

Seriously I use bowling alley wax.

But the 2x4 and hammer aren't far away.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
iv'e only used pam cooking spray

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by safariman
I think, at this point, that I will be using a combination of Kiwi wax and a coating of the Brownells spray on release agent. Mostly I have to make double sure that I do not create a mechanical lock up with my bedding compound. I think this has been my nemisis in the past.

I'm not sure I'd go that route Mark...A couple few years ago I got my first "stuck" bed job by using a "combo" of one shot & Johnsons paste...& I was only bedding the barrel channel & like you, I wanted to "be sure" it came apart easily...it didn't, & even freezing it a couple times didn't help.

Eventually I ended up knocking about a 1/4 X 2" chunk out of the fore end of the stock...

I've never used the Kiwi polish but Johnsons has worked fine by itself as has the oneshot...I'll never try to "combo" them up again...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I used the "combo" method of Johnson's paste wax and PAM cooking spray on my last stock bedding job. It did not work all that well.

I have had no problem with two coats of PAM in the past.

Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used the Accraglass blue stuff. It works, but is messy. Now I use the Brownell's accra-eze spray-on. It is almost too easy, and has never given me a problem.
The way you describe pulling apart a bedding job is about the hardest way to get the job done. At least it seems that way to me. I just lay a folded towel at the edge of the table, then holding the rifle as you normally would, give the barrel (close to the fore-end) a downward smack on the towel. You normally hear a pop, then you can easily work the barreled action out of the stock. Be sure to remove the action screws first - don't ask. Then I knock the bottom metal out from the top. I haven't had any difficulty with this method at all... Good Luck!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Johnson paste wax works great. Brownell's spray great. Pam is terrible!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I use is the Brownell's spray can stuff, never had a problem with that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use kiwi neutral.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Acra-release is ''the stuff'' and it only takes a little bit. I bet I'll never need another can of it and will never go back to the stuff in the kit or paste wax. Doesn't take much. On the other hand.... if you only do one or two stocks, might not to be worth the $32 plus shipping. Probably costs 12-14 bucks to ship being an aerosol.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THANKS for all of the tips! Mine (spray on accra release) just arrived here today, along with the other gunsmithing goodies like a tube full of light guage springs, large shop sized kit of the Brownells Accrglass materials, and other fun stuff.

I am trading glass bedding jobs, trigger jobs, thourough cleaning and lubing, ammo loading and Dyna Bore coating on three rifles for to landowner for predator hunting rights. His land is literally tens of thousands of locked up private, secure timber and hunting property that is just plain ovverrun with black bears and cougar. He is retaining for now all deer and elk hunting for family, Quite OK by me, but who knows, I might get permision for those someday as I build the relationships. Got 'em all cleaned and Dyna Bore coated and lubed, tommorow we do the bedding and start on the loading of ammunition with Moly Coated (by me) Barnes TTSX bullets.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
Mark, i have used Johnsons Pate wax for the last 6 stocks i have bedded.

+1
I've been using the same can of paste wax for almost 15 years and have never had a action stuck in a stock, cleans up fine with a little mineral spirits and a clean rag or paper towels.

+1, I've used this as well and it works great. I also use Hornady one shot case lube too....for those hard to reach areas grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
204 members (160user, 257 mag, 3333vl, 163bc, 338reddog, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,297 guests, and 585 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,465
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.