Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We're looking at replacing our existing 40 gallon water heater to a slightly bigger one. Our current heater works just fine but since we've remodeled our master bathroom and added a Jacuzzi Whirlpool tub, it takes all of the hot water so we're looking at maybe a 75 gallon water heater.

I've heard a lot of good things about the tankless water heaters and I was wondering if anyone here has one and would like to hear your opinions on them. Can I install it myself or does it require a pro to install it? Or should I just go with a bigger tank model?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
We are stuck with using heating oil which costs an arm and a leg out here so we have gone to the TOYO tankless model and it not only works great it saves us a ton of money over a boiler or traditional holding tank system that you are looking at replacing. There are some gas models that are worth looking at as well, I am guessing you have gas down there and that would be cheaper than the TOYO oil system.

Down side: Toyo systems are spendy up front bet the saving adds up fast and they are simple.

Walt

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
IMHO, having had tank-type, electric tankless, and now gas tankless, I can wholeheartedly endorse gas tankless as the ONLY way to go.

We cut our electric bill by over 40% just switching over, they are very efficient, and we have endless hot water.

They are not difficult to install, but get a good one! We have both Rinnai and Rheem units on our home and rental properties. The others, including the Bosch units are not rated as well as the Rinnai and Rheem units.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Our house has two propane tankless heaters, Rinnai R85's, and we are pleased with them. No issues and quick hot water when needed. Note that our house was built with them as original installations. I believe that the gas flow rate for the tankless geaters is higher than that of a similarly "sized" conventional one so I suggest you confirm your exising gas line is adequate for the required flow. Ours each have key pads that allow temp setting and diagnostics. I have no clue as to how difficult they are to install.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
We're looking at replacing our existing 40 gallon water heater to a slightly bigger one. Our current heater works just fine but since we've remodeled our master bathroom and added a Jacuzzi Whirlpool tub, it takes all of the hot water so we're looking at maybe a 75 gallon water heater.
Yeah, the Jacuzzi requires an 80 gal. tank.. We had to install that when we remodeled and added our Jacuzzi..

I've heard a lot of good things about the tankless water heaters and I was wondering if anyone here has one and would like to hear your opinions on them. Can I install it myself or does it require a pro to install it? Or should I just go with a bigger tank model?
IMVHO, tankless is great for bathroom basins, kitchen sinks etc., but it will not work for filling a bathtub - and certainly not a Jacuzzi..

Maybe the newest ones and/or additional offerings re: sizes can actually do it.. Oh, and if you do it, GAS is the way to go. The electrics just can't keep up (from those around here who have 'em)..

Last edited by Redneck; 09/21/12. Reason: added

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had one Rinaii in rent house a couple years ago. I was real unimpressed with it, as in the master bath, you turn on the hot water and then wait a few minutes before you eventually get hot water.

My new house came with a Rinaii, to my surprise (and objection). I think because it's new it may work a little better. It maxes out at 120 degrees, which is something else I don't like.

An upside is, if you have several people in the house, or a lot of hot water usage, then you don't run out of hot water.

They do require occasional cleaning/maintenance, otherwise the heat exchanger can get plugged, which reduces its efficiency.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've sold and installed Rinnai units and recommend them, but I suggest you take a hard look at he Eternal brand tankless. They have a lot of great features including an all stainless heat exchanger/tank.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a guy that installed a gas tankless heater from a car wash supply house. It's an industrial/commercially rated unit designed to operate 365/24/7 that supplies his needs and cost half as much as the popular residential units.

Denny.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info so far guys, appreciate it!

Our current setup uses natural gas and we are sticking with that and i'd like to install it myself if it's not that diffcult. It would be in our crawl space where our current tank heater is installed.

Redneck, why won't the tankless work for filling the Jacuzzi tub?

Steelhead

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
IMHO, having had tank-type, electric tankless, and now gas tankless, I can wholeheartedly endorse gas tankless as the ONLY way to go.

We cut our electric bill by over 40% just switching over, they are very efficient, and we have endless hot water.

They are not difficult to install, but get a good one! We have both Rinnai and Rheem units on our home and rental properties. The others, including the Bosch units are not rated as well as the Rinnai and Rheem units.

Ed

a big 'ol +1, as he hit it right on the head...

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Redneck,

The newer models have no problem filling a large tank with hot water, much less a bathtub. We have done this on several occasions.

Tex_n_cal, we have the types mounted on an outside wall and plumbed into the house instead of having the unit indoors.

They DO require a 3/4" gas line instead of a smaller line, and the temperature CAN be raised beyond 120F. There is a sequence of operation to allow this, but the water heater MUST NOT be operating to do it, and you can go to at least 140F with them. They are set with a default 120F to prevent scalding.

The smaller units come with thermocouples preset to certain temps and you just install the one that you want, the larger units can be changed via the keypad.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I've had one Rinaii in rent house a couple years ago. I was real unimpressed with it, as in the master bath, you turn on the hot water and then wait a few minutes before you eventually get hot water....
How far from the bathroom was the heater? If not right in the bathroom, it takes time for the hot water to get through the pipes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
We just replaced our 1975 boiler and 1995 water heater (both gas) with a new high-efficiency boiler and side-arm water heater. The water heater is only a 40-gal unit, but it gives us more hot water at the tap than the old 50-gal stand alone unit did.

The tank temperature on the new water heater is held at 160 degrees and the outgoing water goes through a mixing valve that drops it to our desired setting. This makes the tank of hot water go a lot further than its 40-gallon capacity suggests. We can also add a programable thermostat to the water heater, to further reduce our gas consumption by letting the water tank cool down during periods of low demand. We haven't done that yet, though.

We're really happy with the new setup, and we've noticed that we no longer have to adjust the water temp while taking a shower. The shower temp stays pretty constant now, and we don't run out of hot water while the showers and washing machine (or dishwasher) are running at the same time.

We debated about putting in an on-demand water heater, but we got too many mixed reviews from people that had them. Of the folks we talked to, some loved them and others hated them. Everyone that had a side-arm water heater/boiler setup raved about it, though, so we went that route.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The tank temperature on the new water heater is held at 160 degrees and the outgoing water goes through a mixing valve that drops it to our desired setting.
Water is expensive to heat. Usually it's the most expensive energy use in the house. Why would you heat it hotter than you need just so you can cool it down to use it? I think you'd save money by not heating it any hotter than your max use, like 120 to 130.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is just a guess but it sounds to me like they do this to make more hot water.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another vote for the Eternal hybrid gas unit. It has a small (two-gallon) tank that it keeps hot; that eliminates any "lag" when you turn on the tap. By the time that's gone, the unit can keep up. We have ours set at 130� and for a hot shower, the mix valve in the shower is right in the middle. We bought the unit sized for a family of four, with a thought to eventual sale of the house. We can run two showers and the dishwasher at the same time with no loss of hot water.

Cost to run? Our natural gas bill since we installed it in February has been $12 a month. The estimated cost sticker on the side of the unit says it will run for $192 a year and so far, we're a good bit under that. It has a 20-year full warranty.

I'll never consider having anything else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Redneck,

The newer models have no problem filling a large tank with hot water, much less a bathtub. We have done this on several occasions.
Very good to know.. Thanks for the update.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Yeah, the Jacuzzi requires an 80 gal. tank.. We had to install that when we remodeled and added our Jacuzzi..

IMVHO, tankless is great for bathroom basins, kitchen sinks etc., but it will not work for filling a bathtub - and certainly not a Jacuzzi..

Maybe the newest ones and/or additional offerings re: sizes can actually do it.. Oh, and if you do it, GAS is the way to go. The electrics just can't keep up (from those around here who have 'em)..

I had a plumber give me an estimate on a Rinai 2 years ago when our Heater went south. The only reason I did not buy it was the very expensive insulated tubing that would have to be ducted thru our roof from the garage otherwise it was a done deal.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
January last year, I had a Rinnai RV53 installed. I am very happy with it. Yeah, it takes a few moments to get the hot water to the tap, but after that, it just runs and runs.

Sam......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't know about the other mfg's, but Takagi was highly recommended to me by the folks I bought my Pex and circulators from, and I'm using one of their largest tankless propane-fired units to heat the concrete floor in a 2800 square foot shop. I raised the default temp to its max via dipswitches on the PC board.
I see no reason why these couldn't handle all the needs of a residence; they're pretty awesome units.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
784 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 81 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,708
Posts18,400,128
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.