Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I hear ya.

Besides the Trapper 30-30, I've 'gifted' A Rem 788 308Win, and a Marlin 1895 45-70, under the same circumstances.

I guess I'm either generous, or......

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I gave a Mossberg 835 with Aimpoint to the son of a friend when they moved away. Gave a Smith 4506 and a Beretta 21 to two other friends. And I wasn't under any orders. You only live once, and you can't take this stuff with you. I do sometimes miss that Beretta 21, though.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Politics make for strange thinking, and those that dwell on politics excessively seem to come up with strange ways.

In our society today, it seems that many who clamor for the permission of the state to carry concealed are considered conservative.

A hundred years ago, or so, it was conservative men who legislated handguns off the street as a nuisance and a threat to peaceful society.
Of course, 100 years ago, the liberals hadn't jacked our society around to the point where any and all behavior was accepted as "normal".

most Americans today have the right to be issued a permit from the state to carry a weapon, and given the nature of some of our urban areas, i'd probably do so if i spent much time there.
Still, the idea that a man without a handgun is completely defenseless and helpless simply doesn't jibe with my sense of reality.

If you're heading out for a hiking trip and feel the need for a gun, by all means, take one if you feel like it.

having carried guns and packs in a few places inclines me otherwise, at least in rural or semi-rural America.
but that's just me...

The congo, south central honduras, or lake shore drive might be a different story...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well it's pretty late in the thread but I thought I might share my choice based on hiking around Eastern Kentucky which is pretty similar to the AT. My two carry revolvers seem to center around my s&w model 14 K38 and my model 43 stainless kit gun the later seeing the most use besides a ruger 22 std auto. So far I have pot shot 2-3 squirrels but mostly my ammo has been consumed shooting walnuts buckeyes and hickory nuts that I lined up on a stump or log. In this part of the country a 22 is an excellent choice as it is cheap, a box of ammo easily slips into a pocket and they are just darn fun. As to protection I have never really felt under gunned as a 22 is still a very deadly weapon. As to snakes the few I have walked up on ( Intrepret nearly stepped on) I can honestly say drawing my pistol and neatly shooting it in the head was not the first reaction I had when I finally saw it. After leviating in mid-air running or broad jumping 20-30 feet while richocheting off a couple of trees & riding down several saplings the size of my wrist I figured there is no use going back to find it and shoot it as I am out of striking distance by the time I remember my pistol.

Last edited by bangeye; 09/24/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
As I said to the OP dumbazz (speking of reading impaired), you'd better be thoroughly and properly trained if you're going to carry in terms of the two-legged variety. I'd be willing to bet most that have posted here AREN'T. If not, you're better off with Mace and a knife.

But you're one of the penis impaired macho azzholes that seem to dominate this forum as a rule.

Just reading through. Some good points, some funny, some bizarre...

This comment stood out though. Not sure how someone with out "thorough and proper" training is supposed to fair better in a knife fight than they would would in a situation where they could spray an azzhole and then shoot if he's still a threat?

I'll take a can of spray and a pistola, thanks. If the sub 2lb pistol becomes an issue I'll leave the Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife at the mall ninja shop.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
As I said to the OP dumbazz (speking of reading impaired), you'd better be thoroughly and properly trained if you're going to carry in terms of the two-legged variety. I'd be willing to bet most that have posted here AREN'T. If not, you're better off with Mace and a knife.

But you're one of the penis impaired macho azzholes that seem to dominate this forum as a rule.

This comment stood out though. Not sure how someone with out "thorough and proper" training is supposed to fair better in a knife fight than they would would in a situation where they could spray an azzhole and then shoot if he's still a threat?

I'll take a can of spray and a pistola, thanks. If the sub 2lb pistol becomes an issue I'll leave the Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife at the mall ninja shop.

I've often thought about Brad's point regarding training and proficiency with a handgun. I shoot a lot of pistol and see the majority of folks at the range have difficulty shooting reasonable groups at even poker table distances. IME, pistol shooting is like my golf game, if I take time off from it, my accuracy suffers. I wonder how effective the average person would be in a SHTF scenario considering what I've observed in benign range settings. It does seem like a pepper spray option may be better than a handgun for some.

I've always looked at SHTF scenarios like other emergency situations like home fires, car accidents, etc. How much insurance do I need given the conditions and worst case scenario probability. Hiking, climbing, day hiking, etc., the cost of a firearm is generally weight. In terms of the coverage and security it provides, it's based mostly on proficiency. I guess if you feel like you can get it done under the pressure of a life-threatning scenario, go with the firearm. If you have doubts, maybe other options are more suitable (situation deterance, pepper spray, etc.).

I prefer a rifle or pistol (if anything at all), but like some, I'm school and real-world trained in their use. I don't tell people what car insurance policy they should get, so I won't tell them what they should do here. I would probably suggest that they really guage their proficiency with a firearm before choosing that option. I'm sure some never give it this much thought at all.

As to the original question...for some strange reason I like revolvers in a .357 Mag flavor for woods and trail carry. I rarely carry unless I'm really out there with my family or friends. I find I can avoid most SHTF situations with common sense and awareness, but that's road I travel. Yours may be different.

Interesting discussion and a fun read!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner

You're making WAY too much sense here. I wonder if big-dick Brad has ever read about the AK guide who closed in on a moose in order to shoo him into the open for a client. His plan would have worked but for the fact a huge griz closed in on him and charged him from behind. The bear took him down face first but not before he drew his Freedom Arms Casull. Unable to turn over/around he stuck the pistol behind his head (where the bear was) and squeezed off a shot. The beat chomped down on the muzzle as it discharged. Result? Dead griz, mauled but alive guide with hellacious bar scars, and the guy didn't say anything about whether or not he felt being able to shoot a handgun to Tier One/Seal Team 6 standards played a role in his survival.

The guide sent the gun back to FA and supposedly they offered him a brand new one for it as they felt the tooth marks on the barrel from a grizzly made for quite a display piece.

I wonder (not really) how hot sauce would have worked for him? I'm sure Big Dick will be along to enlighten me/us.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 09/24/12. Reason: spellin'
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The majority of us on the fire have supported the second A to the point of being legal to protect ourselves. A club does afford some measure of protection, as does the ability to run. I can't believe the posts on here discouraging not carrying when legally feasible.
If more people carried, the world would be a better place. Better safeR than sorry.

Remember, if you ever need a gun and don't have one, you will never need one again.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Now we need to worry about the dangers of carrying for protection.

In my opinion, don't drive if you are tired, wear your seatbelt and watch out for drunk drivers.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm reminded of the classic...

"How often do people really get killed around here?"

"Only once."

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.