-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
First off I should say that I find a good hatchet to be a very valuable tool to have around.

As a builder for many years I also came to be impressed by the ruggedness of Estwing hammers, sledge hammers, and most importantly the Sportmans hatchet. I've used one for over 20 years and cant find a bad thing to say about them. Built to last a lifetime, great handle, perfect size for having in camp or a vehicle, and easy on the pocketbook. It's even made in the USA! I will say that it doesn't come as sharp as it could, but a little work puts it right where it needs to be.

So, while I don't really need another hatchet, (especially a expensive GB) they have me intrigued. I will say that I am not looking to have a collection, I'm only interested in a better tool if that's the case. I've never handled one so I can't compare them.

If any of you GB owners have ever handled a Estwing hatchet, tell me what you think.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have an Estwing that I bought in 1969 and used on BCFS fire lookouts and other such demanding work for many years. I used it one night to pry open the back "staff door" to the old BC Penitentary- it was closed and I was security there for months, good job, too, as I was attending university- and it is still perfectly serviceable.

I also had an Estwing Camper's Axe, the blue plastic handled type for years, until it was stolen with my Toyota 4x4. I found this to be a poor chopper even in soft Birch and would never own another.

I have used GB axes, superb, but, I bought Wetterlings as I know how to choose the handles and sharpen and modify the heads of an axe. I would FAR rather have the GB Hunter's to ANY Estwing, but,the older Estwings were OK, if you can find one.

My favourite axes/hatchets are Oxhead and Wetterlings for utility and value and GB seems a little over-priced to me...I have LOTS of highend, costly gear, but, I will never pay for "the name" and that is, IMO, a part of GB's prices.

HTH, they will all work if you know how to use and maintain them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have all 3 sizes of the eastwing and they have been thru 2 grandchildren and myself,I find then to be a super product and resonabley priced and MADE IN USA

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a comparison of a GB and Estwing from the same site Kaleb referenced....

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/12/estwing-sportsmans-axe-e24a-review.html

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheDude
Here is a comparison of a GB and Estwing from the same site Kaleb referenced....

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/12/estwing-sportsmans-axe-e24a-review.html

Not much love for the Estwing on that blog! But I'm definitely going to be buying a Husky hatchet.

I'm still an Estwing fan, like Kutenay mentioned, when you can use it as a pry bar and it still works great whats not to love laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both, I like both and would pretty much agree with the review. Nothing wrong with having a backup or three...

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I stopped by Home Depot a couple of years back. I bought a new Estwing hatchet.
When I got home, I found that the edge was lopsided, ie, the edge was skewed to one side.
I took it back to exchange it, and found that 4 out of 5 were the same way.
I got a refund, and sent a letter to Estwing to explain my findings.
Never heard back from them. I will never buy anything from them after that.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a peek at Council Tools Hudson Bay Velvicut. A little pricey but made in America as well.

http://www.counciltool.com/DisplayCategories.asp?pg=displaycategories&category=77

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
T
T
I have had a Gransfors Bruks Hunter's Axe for at least 15 years. I love it. It can be sharpened to a shaving edge. I think it handles wonderfully. I have primarily used it to trim branches when putting up a tree stands or blinds. It stays in my hunting pack all season. You never know when it might be needed to clear a path for something. It will be going to Colorado in October on an elk hunt. I know they are pricey compared to the Estwing's, but I think that would be an comparing apples to oranges. Btw, I own a couple Estwing hammers and love them. I like quality knives and I think the Hunter's Axe fits in well. Just my two cents.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have several GB's they are over priced but to me not so overly priced not to be worth it.

I use to frame when I was younger and all a swung was Estwing. I have a Hatchet it is ok but falls far behind the GB in my opinion.

With that said the Estwing will get the job done. So to give you an honest answer no you most likely don't need it. However if you decide to get one you will never regret it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 77 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.