-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
use some moeling clay or plumbers putty to fill in any of the spots that look like they could cause a mechanical lock then apply your release agent.

Ed

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are two common "PVA"s. PVA (polyvinyl alcohol) is the stuff in Brownell's blue paint on release agent. It's water soluble and leaves a soft, thin vinyl-like film that comes off easily particularly if encouraged with a little denatured alcohol. One of its common applications is as a mold release for epoxy.

PVA (polyvinyl acetate) is the basis of common glues like Elmer's white glue. Don't think I'd want that.

The spray on stuff Brownell's sells would be a whole lot more convenient.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SNO-SEAL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I worked with a buddy who was a master with fiberglass, and if you think getting a barreled action stuck is something, it's nothing compared to sticking a car body or 30' boat in a mold.

What he taught me was to put on a couple coats of paste wax, buffing it between coats, and then spraying on a thin coat of PVA (poly vinyl acetate)

Honestly I don't think what you use is so imporant with a barreled action compared to making sure you use something and get it on all surfaces that will be exposed to the bedding compound, and making sure you don't have mechanical problems with zero or negative draft.

Where does one go to find Polyvinylacetate? Sounds like an interesting idea to try.

Any good fiberglass supply place should carry it, my favorite supplier as we don't have a local one with good prices is Fiberglass Supply, here's the link to their release products page. Look at the partall, that's PVA (and I guess I got the A part wrong) http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Release_Agents/release_agents.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have found the Brownell's blue stuff to dry in a layer that is too thick, thus not producing as good of action to stock fit when removed. I prefer One Shot and feel I get a better finished product. I gunsmith I know gets a wonderful finish with the release agent he uses, but will not tell me what it is. Only that it is a "proprietary mold release agent".

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I use Certified Labs T-Lube plus. 80% Teflon spray. It dries with a thin white coating. Cleans off easily with bore solvent and its thin white color makes it easy to see any missed spots. Superior dry lubricant as well. I have used Brownell's products before and I like this T-Lube Plus better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Malm
We haven't all been there. I use Johnson's Paste Wax, have done from day one. Never seen a need to change. Never stuck an action. That said, any wax, paste or liquid should work fine. The old canned shoe polish would work. If it will dry, or film over, I wouldn't have any problem using it. Certainly the Brownell's spray on release agent will work. If it didn't, they wouldn't sell it. The key is covering everything with the stuff. Even places you don't expect the epoxy to go.
What he said - to a T...

When it comes to removing the action I use a rubber mallet and give a few gentle-to-medium taps under the barrel while holding the fore-arm.. I do this about one inch over a terrycloth towel in case it comes out rapidly.. Usually I'll see it begin to move and then a bit of wiggling gets it out.. I use a headless action screw to keep bedding out of the receiver and it's important (obviously) to remove that before attempting to remove the action. If you're doing it that way, ensure you wax the screw too - all the way down...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you use clay filler the Brownells spray has the advantage of allowing you to apply the agent without distorting your clay dams.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 1234
use some moeling clay or plumbers putty to fill in any of the spots that look like they could cause a mechanical lock then apply your release agent.

Ed

+1 Using clay on the front side of the recoil lug seems to make removal lots easier.

Failure's always an option
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I hate clay. Nasty stuff to clean out. I use beeswax. If you are having a problem with Brownell's release agent (2 coats) being "too thick" (WHAT????) you are obviously doing something wrong. Or your perception of proper clearance is warped, IMO.

I've used most of the products mentioned - even Crisco. They all work, but I keep coming back to Brownell's blue stuff...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 53 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.