Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have a pre 64 100 and am thinking of refinishing the stock. The bluing is good but I'd rate the wood around 80%. I know these are not top shelf collectors but don't want to completely mess it up. Is there a refinishing process that would give it the original look?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am an avid collector and speaking for myself and others I know, we would never touch a refinished stock. I have never seen the need to refinish a gun simply because it has a boo boo. But if refinishing is the only option, sandpaper is the ultimate evil. Chemical stripping the old finish is the only option I would ever consider. Sandpper has ruined so many stocks, I have lost count. Winchester used a special dye on their wood. There is a company that reproduces this dye. When finish is applied, Winchester didnt use an oil finish but instead used a sprayed on varnish. One thing to remember, that once an action is taken it can never be undone.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If the stock is 80% I would agree that leaving it alone would be the best thing to do. However, if you do decide to refinish, strip the original finish with a chemical stripper. If you do decide to sand, leave the checkering alone! Sand as little and as lightly as possible, and final sand with a fine grit sandpaper.

All in all, 80% isn't too bad on a rifle of that age. I'm guessing you're going to hunt it, and if that is the case, it's probably going to get another boo boo or two anyway. I would say that if there is a chance you're going to sell it down the road, enjoy it the way that it is, and remember there is a story behind each mark on that stock.

P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just re-read the original post, an original pre 64 stock, I would not touch unless it was bordering on junk. Especially if the caliber was right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a very good alternative to refinishing, even if the finish is flaking. Here it is: re-point the checkering and then artificially darken it to look old. Then go over the entire stock with a 400 grit wet sand. After that, apply a few coats of the red Winchester oil that used to be sold by Winchester Restorations. You can still buy it on eBay I think.

This will put a soul back into an old looking/feeling gun. After I point up the checkering I sometimes lightly go back over it with the 400 grit so it is not quite so sharp.

Last edited by Cartod; 09/19/12.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another point not often thought of when refinishing an 80% stock or any percentage, when done you will have a 0% stock afterwards. Antique guns are apprased on percentage of ORIGINAL finish. When removeing the original finish or rebluing you end up with a shiney gun with 0% valuation. That doesnt mean they are worthless, it simply limits the number of potential buyers.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
rub a little tung oil into the bare parts of the wood to protect it from the elements while hunting...maybe put a good coat of wax on the whole stock after the tung oil has set....this still preserves the original finish and protects the wood from further deteroration....

gunut
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with gunut on just using some oil. I used linseed based oil on the "light" part of the 70 -80% stock on the 1950 Mod 94 I got over the summer. My reading and research indicated 94's left the factory with a linseed oil-based finish. So I figured using linseed-based oil wouldn't hurt anything. "First, do no harm." Hippocrates.

I learned the oiling would not be a one shot fix. Just a thin, hand-rubbed coat every now and then, feathered in to the good part of the finish. It's healing up real nice. I still a few coats to go.

I don't know what the factory finish was on Model 100's. Perhaps you can find something on-line, on Amazon, or in your gun library about that. That way you would know the original look for sure.

An 80% wood pre-64 Model 100 is a nice rifle. My stock was 70 to 80%, so not that far off yours. We're talking 50+ year-old tools here. I don't think I'd take sandpaper to it at all, but I like 'em original. I've still got 80% of my hair and teeth and I'm more than happy with that.

If dressing up the your old girl makes you happy and you're not worried about collector value, go for it. If you want to hedge your bet, research a little. Maybe the oil treatment will do what you need, leave your options open and not hurt anything.

That's my long-winded 2 cents. Good luck.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I did some nosing around on original finish on the Model 100.

Chuck Hawks seems to think original finish appears to have been lacquered. I don't know how much weight to give that.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_100_rifle.htm

This fellow left a phone number for selling his original finished 100. You might call and ask.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rifle-classifieds/101859-winchester-model-100-284-winchester.html

There also appears to be a Model 100 carbine restoration thread at The High Road, but I don't think their server is answering right now. Here's the link, FWIW.

www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-398493.html

Presumably you know about the firing pin recall referenced in this (you'll have to scroll down a bit)

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/winchesterl_88_100.htm

Don't know how much help this is.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any refinishing at all will hurt whatever collector value it has.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A fellow down in this thread refinished with boiled linseed oil. He links in his post to pictures.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338667

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.