Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
'Slave, if those are medium sized mule deer bunks then mine was a dink.

Those are.

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you eaten any yet?

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Jeff, as I said, I'll take your word for it. I'll bet that this incident will keep you from forgetting your camera next time. I hope you find a blacktail worthy of pictures.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mistake #1 - Not taking a spotter or big eyes.

At 500 yds, a 8x30 set of binocs just showed enough horn to get a newbies rocks off on opening morning.

Ground shrinkage then reared it's ugly head.

Then with no plans to take care of a kill, it aged on a barren hillside..

Lessons learned? I doubt it.

Sometimes, seriously, I really wonder about this place...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jeff,
Did you enjoy the Blitzen? What did you catch the trout with? Looks like a pretty good all around experience to me.

Charlie

Last edited by chas05; 10/08/12. Reason: didya eat in Frenchglen??

IC B2

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Good job and any deer you have to carry on your back is a good one. I shot a dink fork this year and am with it. I passed on some and this one was a shooter because of my time crunch. You worked for the deer and that is what matters. I see no pride in a deer shot from a truck window in a farm field that you drive up to and load with a tractor.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
True, but you busted both your deer and your camp out on your back in one trip in the dark by headlamp the night after you killed it so you must have a thing or three figured out about this stuff!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Mistake #1 - Not taking a spotter or big eyes.

At 500 yds, a 8x30 set of binocs just showed enough horn to get a newbies rocks off on opening morning.

Ground shrinkage then reared it's ugly head.

Then with no plans to take care of a kill, it aged on a barren hillside..

Lessons learned? I doubt it.

Sometimes, seriously, I really wonder about this place...

Specially when it lay in the rocks, @80+, flies galore, no bags, hide on, till the 3rd day.
If all that is true (and I am using Jeff-O's account of the event here) I find it very hard to believe there was much good meat left.
He packed up his "mtn. camp" the second day(according to him) while his deer lay on the hillside. Unbelievable. Came back for the animal on day 3. Sweet.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It won't be a problem for him. He's a liberal in Eugene, OR. so most, if not all, of his friends are Vegans.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JHC...give it a rest already, looked like a decent trip to me. If the OP has bad meat in the freez (or not) it's not your prob...yer hard-on for the OP is depriving yer Rosey.

Charlie

Last edited by chas05; 10/08/12. Reason: fergot an "e"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chas05
JHC...give it a rest already, looked like a decent trip to me. If the OP has bad meat in the freez (or not) it's not your prob...yer hard-on for the OP is depriving yer Rosey.

Charlie

Charlie, thanks for your concern. No big deal if game is wasted, hell, let's just cut off the horns and go home. A "decent trip" to you sounds like a cluster [bleep] to me. Good luck in all your endeavors, to bad it won't be so wonderful for the resource you take.
Next time you shoot or catch one, take a pic at least, before you head home or to the bar.

Chit happens sometimes and game it lost. I can deal with that.
It will happen a lot more often if you wait for the third day on purpose.

Have Dog

Will Travel

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
GFY...it was packed, butchered, packaged, and frozen...GFY, u and yer small minded, "I do it it better than JO" bullshit. Dood had a great trip and u got a take a schidt on it.

GFY

Charlie

out...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta agree with Charlie. The guy's out there getting it done and all you guys wanna do is berate anything he does or says. At least with him we know he's being honest. I'd rather share camp with a guy who can admit to his mistakes than a guy who thinks he's always right.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chas05
GFY...it was packed, butchered, packaged, and frozen...GFY, u and yer small minded, "I do it it better than JO" bullshit. Dood had a great trip and u got a take a schidt on it.

GFY

Charlie

out...

Yes, it was, 5 or 6 days later and not cooled or skinned.
Go hang a steak outside your house for 3 days, wrap it, re-freeze it and eat it sometime.
Then get back to me.
That steak will be perfect by your standards.
Maybe you and Jeff should have a kum-bye-yah moment, he needs all the support he can get. You can rub each others vaginas.

Have Dog

Will Travel

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Carrion: Its not just for the birds!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
Gotta agree with Charlie. The guy's out there getting it done and all you guys wanna do is berate anything he does or says. At least with him we know he's being honest. I'd rather share camp with a guy who can admit to his mistakes than a guy who thinks he's always right.

I haven't read one post where anyone said they were always right.
I have seen years of Jeff-o posts about dinks, does and cow elk he has killed........
Did he waste those too?
If he has killed game for years, why do you give him a pass for not having a clue all of a sudden? So who's honest?
He either has had a clue in the past or has ruined game animals for years. Which is it?

Have Dog

Will Travel

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I guess most folks don't need a doctorates degree to know it all, least not leaving a heated, blood saturated carcass in the exposure and heat for three days.

Yeah, misteaks were made...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I knew not to read this F'n thread, though it was just the last page... If you find yourself in over your head, quit digging or at least don't shoot an animal and add to it. Every one of us that backpack hunts have weighed the consequences of a shot and passed on quality animals for various reasons. Being prepared to shoot, bone out, bag and pack 80lbs to at least a cool area is basic, I mean basic/basic. If you don't have time or light or topography or energy... whatever, you don't shoot. Animal wins and you regroup.

Kent

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by krp
I mean basic/basic.
Kent

and that's an understatement. Passed on 3 bucks yesterday because I wasn't 100% sure I could get to them, due to unfamiliar terrain and some big cliffs. Mountain hunting is a bit different than your private land hunting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not a single thing he wrote makes any sense. At all.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.