Hop To
#6922962 09/30/12
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A little late to ask for opinions since I have one on the way but, anyone care to share their thoughts/experiences?

I got started with a Grabber and a mentor. Got along fine until i found a nice 9000g on sale. No complaints with either. With some maintenance and an occational adjustment both are fine presses.

The Automate addition seemed unnecessary to me until my shooting increased and with it my loading time and effort. I was able to watch a hydraulic unit in action and thought that was the ticket. Then at the Cardinal Classic got to see a MEC rep demonstrate both in action. The hydraulic unit was faster but the electric unit was much quieter and more Mobil. Well after reading what I could find on the Internet and elsewhere I settled on the Automate. It should arrive Tuesday.

Anyone else using one? Any tips/tricks you could share?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I can't help friend but it sounds like what I would have wanted a few years back. I bought a 9000G , then life changed my plans. The G still sits in my gun room, new in box.

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well here it is. Ive had little chance to play with it until the last few evenings. Love it so far. Had some initial adjustment issues that were easily solved. The loader comes from the factory almost completely set up for use. However, my wad guide and crimp starter were not set up for Remington hulls. After a few complete cycles the wad guide was loose and jammed against a hull mouth. This blew the fuse and destoryed the guide. Shortly after the crimp starter stuck on a case. This caused it to no longer hold tight to its mounting ball. I borrowed parts for my other 9000g and adjusted the 2 positions so this didn't continue. About 400 rounds since and no problems.

From the carton the large clear primer catcher was broken. Its a hard brittle plastic container that fits perfectly under the Automate and holds many spent primers. I called MEC and told them of my few issues. MEC promply sent out replacements for the affected parts and said they now recommend a 2 Amp fuse (fellow did have the attitude of an employee on a Friday afternoon). The primer catcher would be more hardy if made from more durable material.

I should add that the powder drops suddenly became light by 1.5 grains. I use a grounding wire but added some dryer sheets to my powder bottle and the problem ended. Ive used strips of dryer sheets in my other 9000g for some time to correct the static problem and it seems this must continue.

Aside from these few minor problems Im happy at this point. Ive been shooting a lot the last few years and pulling down the handle becomes tiresome. If I was only loading 100 rounds a week the Automate wouldn't be necessary.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the report.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Ring3. Good report. I have four Grabbers ( new ). Called MEC to ask about the conversion kit to mate with the Automate. They told me it was easy and would work fine. I was thinking that I would need the 9000G to really take advantage of the Automate. Any thoughts ? The conversion of the Grabbers might be easy for the tech's at MEC, but I am a little skeptical.
Thanks,
Jim

IC B2

R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well Jim, Ive never seen a conversion for an Automate to a Grabber. If MEC says its simple I would trust that. If you encountered any difficulties help is a phone call away (might stay away from Friday afternoons eek ).

My first loader was a Grabber 76 R1. Bought it from a friend who likely got it in the 70's. He shot A LOT and his grabber did all the loading. It is well worn from all the handle pulls and attempted homemade conversions. I updated many parts and it will still function fine.

The Grabber lacks the auto indexing feature of the 9000g. The kit might include this I would think or possibly you must still manually index station to station. Otherwise, the adaptation seems simple. Some bracing brackets and the bar connected to the Automate to the loader are the biggest things I see. Once up and running some minor adjustments may be necessary. Mec and the various internet sites are always available for additional assistance.

Sorry no additional pics. Might be able to get some this weekend if needed. I would add watch pricing! Ive seen the Automate alone priced over $600. At the Cardinal Classic this summer "Shooters Den" had the AutoMate/9000 combo for $829. Not a free 9000 but a tempting deal and you could convert or sell your Grabbers later. Switching the Automate from one loader to another looks simple. Makes me want more shotguns/loaders smile.

Loaded some for handicap/Annies last Sunday and was very impressed with the Automate function. Powder drops were much more consistent after adding a couple of dryer sheets to the powder bottle. Static seems to be an issue in my basement. Next project is to try an adjustable bar laugh . Cant help myself, always "fixing" things that aren't broke.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ring3,
Thanks for the info. The Grabber would still have to be manually indexed, so the only advantage of the Automate is eliminating the handle cranking and possibly saving my rotator cuff !!! LOL. To be honest, I really want a Spolar Gold ( and Really want a Spolar Gold hydraulic with 12-20-28-.410 heads ). However, I can't justify the cost so thought the Automate might be worth considering. In order to do it right I think that I would have to upgrade to the 9000G and Automate. I hate to take a beating on my four Grabbers, however. Just might have to live with the cranking for a while.
Thanks for your help,
Jim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.