Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Tanner
Do I have to have facial hair? I notice that most bad to the bone "tactical marksmen" have equally badazz goatees and 'staches.

Dude look at my avatar. I grew that in a three day weekend trip, I did miss the biggest blacktail I have ever seen that trip because my beanie was regular wool and not under armor/ninja fleece with a berilium coating.

Actually upon further review of notes I was clean shaven when I arrived and missed that buck on the first day (the only nontypical blacktail I have ever seen) and after growing a grey beard for three days I Tikkinated a nice buck at way long range, think it was at least 75 yards and I did not even have a chance to punch it into the android so I held on hair and let the shot go.

Last edited by varmintsinc; 09/29/12.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someday, when I have the ability to grow heavy facial hair and make my face match my scalp, I will be a tactical operator.

But for now, I'll keep peering into pudding spoons and asking how I became so ridiculously good looking.

I can't believe you wouldn't have enough respect for the animal to plug in the skin drift at least. That could've resulted in a very poor shot and a suffering deer; shame on you man!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Rene
Not sure I understand the need to shoot game animals at long range but it is definately an impressive shooting feat. It is not hunting though, very rare a situation hunting were you can not get within 300 yards of an identified game animal. I can usually get within 100 yards of any North American game. I have two 270WSM T3's they shoot great groups from 100-300 yards. I handload them with 140gr accubonds.

dude seriously?? you must have never hunted in the mountains or the western US or the high deserts of the west either. animals don't stand around and wait to get shot. terrain is difficult and often noisy to cross such as rock slides etc. I archery hunt all the time where one does have to get within 100 yards and I can tell you every year a trophy buck would be on my wall if I had the distance of a rifle at my disposal at that time of the season.

I bet you had some great success with your bow too. I can't shoot ethically past 40-50 yards with a bow but I probably don't practice as much as you do. I would take up to a 450 yard shot with a couple of my rifles and have only done it once on an antelope but overall with patience I can usually get much closer to game animals. I have never hunted sheep or goats but I was reading posts about head shots at 700 yards and 1000 yard shots. That just doesn't seem like hunting to me. That is pure skillful shooting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
varmintsinc was right about another point...I forgot about the UnderArmor stuff...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure I understand the need to shoot game animals at long range but it is definately an impressive shooting feat. It is not hunting though, very rare a situation hunting were you can not get within 300 yards of an identified game animal. I can usually get within 100 yards of any North American game. I have two 270WSM T3's they shoot great groups from 100-300 yards. I handload them with 140gr accubonds.

dude seriously?? you must have never hunted in the mountains or the western US or the high deserts of the west either. animals don't stand around and wait to get shot. terrain is difficult and often noisy to cross such as rock slides etc. I archery hunt all the time where one does have to get within 100 yards and I can tell you every year a trophy buck would be on my wall if I had the distance of a rifle at my disposal at that time of the season.

I bet you had some great success with your bow too. I can't shoot ethically past 40-50 yards with a bow but I probably don't practice as much as you do. I would take up to a 450 yard shot with a couple of my rifles and have only done it once on an antelope but overall with patience I can usually get much closer to game animals. I have never hunted sheep or goats but I was reading posts about head shots at 700 yards and 1000 yard shots. That just doesn't seem like hunting to me. That is pure skillful shooting.

anyone talking about head shots at 700 and 1000 yards, just pretty much disregard everything they are saying. I don't care what you are shooting at those ranges a head shot isn't a good shot to take there is just too many things going on at that range to consider a head shot anything more than luck.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

450 yds you are to some a long range shooter.

It always seems to me that people judge long range hunting on what they themselves are capible of or where they themselves hunt. What they do is hunting and what the others do is just shooting. It never occurs to them the work and dedication it takes to make the long shot. I sure would like to take them out antelope hunting on public land, 1 week after the season starts and tell them to get close.

Last year I put the stalk on a group of antelope, I used the terrain to my advantange and saw myself low crawling through all kinds of prickly things just to get within 550 yds. I put the hammer down on my .243 and ended up with a nice tasty doe. Was I just shooting or hunting? I do what I do to increase my chances of sucsess.

Elk season is going to start soon and if the choice is between an 800yd shot and going home meatless, I think I'll take the shot, I am prepared. I'd much rather fix bayonet and stab them where they sleep but sometimes they just won't coperate.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A shooting bud of mine has a pretty nice T3-based 300 WinMag. He shoots the 208s, and I think has been shooting some 225 Hornadys too.

We have shot together a couple times. I've seen it hammer at a mile.

Here's the rig. It's in a Manners stock, and I believe it's a Vortex Razor scope.

That is a rockin' paint job!!!

Last edited by DELGUE; 10/06/12.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A shooting bud of mine has a pretty nice T3-based 300 WinMag. He shoots the 208s, and I think has been shooting some 225 Hornadys too.

We have shot together a couple times. I've seen it hammer at a mile.

Here's the rig. It's in a Manners stock, and I believe it's a Vortex Razor scope.

Shane,

Did your amigo use the factory recoil lug in the new stock, or did he use an aftermarket one?

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 90 invisible), 3,038 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.