Print Thread
Hop To
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Used 1 to 1 salt to sugar ratio, finished product seems way to salty. This my first try at smoking salmon, and I have a bunch more to do. Any thoughts?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I pack salmon in a dry brine of 60 to 40 ration brown sugar to salt. Add some garlic powder, black pepper red peppers flakes , dill in the mixture.

Not too salty.

Are you rinsing filets after brining really well?

S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes rinsed "filet" well. In dry brine over night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
use more brown sugar than salt and soak a bit in clean water after the brine......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of today's commercially smoked salmon is way too salty. Most of the recipes used today are way too salty. I think the old brine recipes are carried over from the days when smoked fish and meats used salt as a preservative due to the lack of refridgeration. When I started smoking fish I began with a time honored recipe(wet brine) which contained about 10% salt(floats a potato). My current recipe now has about 2.5% salt and could be less. I brine for taste and not as a preservative. My suggestion is you drop the amount of salt. You can make up the difference in sugar. Sugar also acts as a preservative but is not as effective as salt. For what its worth I have shipped my salmon with the reduced salt and no refridgeration all ofer the country and as far as Afghanistan without spoilage. BTW, My stuff is cold smoked and dried like jerky in strips. pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pak
Most of today's commercially smoked salmon is way too salty. Most of the recipes used today are way too salty. I think the old brine recipes are carried over from the days when smoked fish and meats used salt as a preservative due to the lack of refridgeration. When I started smoking fish I began with a time honored recipe(wet brine) which contained about 10% salt(floats a potato). My current recipe now has about 2.5% salt and could be less. I brine for taste and not as a preservative. My suggestion is you drop the amount of salt. You can make up the difference in sugar. Sugar also acts as a preservative but is not as effective as salt. For what its worth I have shipped my salmon with the reduced salt and no refridgeration all ofer the country and as far as Afghanistan without spoilage. BTW, My stuff is cold smoked and dried like jerky in strips. pak

Excellent advice! I used to do it this way, as well. It keeps better than most folks think.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
member "pak".........knows his stuff on smoke'n fish, listen up.........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use salt and brown sugar as a rub over the salmon while it sits in the fridge overnight. I use 25 % salt and 75% br. sugar. The next morning, I wipe all the excess off and dry the salmon and then add mapleine and brown sugar to the top of the salmon for the actual smoking. It sounds as if you are using much to much salt.

Rolly
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Overnight is too long... 90 minutes is long enough. Once the fish is moved to racks to start forming a pellicle the salt will equalize through the fish some. Which is one reason the dry rubs are not as uniform as wet brining, IMO&E.

The actual salt ratio is really not that critical as long as it is hypertonic. I use a cup of salt and two cups brown sugar per gallon of brine, then rinse quickly after brining.

Skip all the fancy extra tastes and junk until you have the basics down for texture, again IMO&E. You will probably discover it is better that way.

Also, the pellicle is critical. If the fish goes much over 140F the oil and protein released will form ugly white ooze on the surface and the texture will suffer. Curds on the surface are never a good sign...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I use a cup of salt and two cups brown sugar per gallon of brine, then rinse quickly after brining.

About how many typical filets will that brine?

How long do you brine at that concentration?

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brining for more than 90 minutes is counterproductive.

I usually brine about 2-3 gallons of salmon in pieces averaging about 8-12 ounces and use about 2 gallons of brine. It varies with silvers versus reds because of the differences in size between the fillets, so I use volume measure instead of weight or numbers of fish.

Commercial smokers usually reuse brine repeatedly, monitoring the salinity. They do not add much salt to the mix after each load of fish.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by atvalaska
member "pak".........knows his stuff on smoke'n fish, listen up.........

I,ll second that opinion! But need more to confirm opinion again!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Mid-course correction. Thanks.

Concentration/time is always my bugaboo.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hypertonic, <90 minutes, quick COLD rinse, and you cannot be too salty.

Some like to make easy stuff hard...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For several years I used a dry rub/pack/whatever... Long enough to realize how foolish it is. Mixing a brine is faster, easier, and more uniform everytime.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I like salty, but the CEO does not.

Hopeingly this will be more acceptabler.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For several years I used a dry rub/pack/whatever... Long enough to realize how foolish it is. Mixing a brine is faster, easier, and more uniform everytime.

I started out dry rubbing because I liked the kippered better than cold smoked. My tastes changed and I discovered that my family also liked the lighter smoke/brine as well, so I switched.

I have done a VERY light dry rub and then let the pellicle form, then smoke, but it wasn't the same as the brine.

Most folks marinate fish and seafood far too long, when cooking or smoking.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.