Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Bob,

That 140TTSX sure impressed me! It penetrated a whole bunch of moose, made Gulage of the vitals, and still left a nice exit wound. I laugh when guys wonder whether that bullet will penetrate enough for WT. Even stem to stern, I have no question. Who needs a 160 or 175 when the 140 works like that?!

I'm impressed....you got my attention! wink

A deer? Geezus I'm starting to feel bad using 7mm's and 270's on them.

I think I need a 6.5! grin

This is just me, but .243 and .25-06 have "deer" written all over them wink

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jordan yup...I've used the Roberts and 25/06 on them.

They work good!

How does that 100 gr TTSX work in a 257 Roberts? pretty well? I know Scott used it from the Weatherby on the toad-like creature he shot with you.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good eats right there, man! Way to go. Moose meat is some of the best, I think.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a wonderful hunt (with the usual- to me anyway- issues at home kind of issues wink )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on the moose, nicely done. Some good eats there for sure including those spruce grouse if they taste anything like the ruffed grouse we have here in New England, and no they don't taste like chicken grin

IC B2

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That sounds like a great trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the write up on your moose. He should keep the family well fed this winter.

My last moose of the season was 3 hours from breathing to hanging in the net below the chopper. I'm moosed out for the season, spent 24 days guiding them in "hellhole" NWT.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice story and photos..congradulations..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jordan yup...I've used the Roberts and 25/06 on them.

They work good!

How does that 100 gr TTSX work in a 257 Roberts? pretty well? I know Scott used it from the Weatherby on the toad-like creature he shot with you.

Bob,

I haven't used that bullet in a Bob (yuk yuk), but I've used it a bunch in the .25-06 at around 3300fps, which isn't too far off of Roberts performance. Scott used the 100gr TSX, which I've also used a bunch, and both work well. But I would definitely say that the TTSX opens quicker, wider, and does more internal damage than the TSX, from what I've seen. I've also failed to ever keep one in a critter, although I've certainly tried with some of the shot angles I've taken! smile Simply put, the 100gr TTSX at 3300+fps is like electrocution on deer-sized game and a little bigger.

I've recovered 85gr 6mm TSX, X, 160gr 7mm TSX, and 130gr 7mm GS Custom bullets from game, but never a .25. I've also recovered petals from TTSX bullets, but so far I haven't caught the main slug.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChipM
Congrats on the moose, nicely done. Some good eats there for sure including those spruce grouse if they taste anything like the ruffed grouse we have here in New England, and no they don't taste like chicken grin

Thanks. Spruce grouse are a dark meat, similar to turkey, while the ruffies are white meat, more like chicken grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sask_Hunter
Thanks for the write up on your moose. He should keep the family well fed this winter.

My last moose of the season was 3 hours from breathing to hanging in the net below the chopper. I'm moosed out for the season, spent 24 days guiding them in "hellhole" NWT.

Guiding in the NWT is sure a fun and rewarding thing, but it's also a LOT of work! Using a chopper is cheating, though... grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats on the moose.

I too just got back last saturday from being gone a week with the guys out to our annual moose camp. We got 2 bulls. 2 guys with tags still-they are going to try some weekend day trips to fill the tags by end of October.

We ate fresh moose heart one day for lunch, sliced up and pan fried in bacon/onions...........WOW! First time for me to eat moose heart- it was good. Not quite as good as fresh elk liver. A few grouse were definately eaten at camp too in the traditional dish I make. Good to see the grouse pops back on the rise.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jordan,

Man, you are a killing machine!!!

Congrats on a fine bull and coupla birds.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like our hunt camp. The ruffed and spruce grouse were slow roasted over the smokey fire with salt and pepper seasonings, and they were devoured as fast as I could cook them!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

Forgot to mention- Within the last few years, I've gotten my dad and younger brother into hunting, and they're falling hard and fast. But my youngest brother never really got into it like the rest of us have. Although I did drag him along as a little kid the day I shot my first deer. I didn't have any family to teach me about hunting, so I took my little kid brother, instead wink

The first morning that we spent hunting this last week, I had my youngest brother along, and we went and sat in a cut block, trying as hard as we could to blend in with the stumps that were littered everywhere. As soon as I started to let out cow calls, a coyote popped out of the brush on the opposite end of the cut block, about 450 yards away, and stopped, standing proud with ears perked, trying to find the source of what sounded like his next meal (little did he know that if I had been a real moose, he would likely be pounded into mush if he attempted anything funny). He came trotting toward us, and slowly walked by us at 20 yards, stopping to see what those funny looking creatures were. He finally caught our scent and disappeared into the bush.

Then a little WT spike and a 3x3 came moseying along, stopped upwind of us at no more than 15 yards, and decided to have a mid-morning snack right there beside us! They tore leaves from the bushes and stood there chewing, while we watched from a stone's throw away. After they moved along, another spike buck came out, and the two spikes started practicing their sparring, and the little antlers echoed across the cut block as they tickled each other. Eventually, they walked away and left us alone in the cut block again, but I could tell that my brother was pretty excited, and thought is was a pretty neat experience.

Then he was with me when I shot the bull, and I could tell again that he was getting into all the excitement.

I'm thinking that we may have to go rifle shopping and have him take the hunter safety course for next year. At close to 22 years old, it's finally starting to rub off on him smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan,

Congrats!

Now PLEASE tell me that's NOT a Purdue shirt you're wearing in that pic!!!

Marty

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, it's a nearly 15-year old high school football shirt. We were the Springbank Phoenix wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jordan, nice job! Hunting with family is always the best!

You should be in meat for awhile!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great job. Cleaning and processing at night must have been a chore, for sure.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome! Brought back memories of my Alberta moose hunt last year. I hadn't heard "cut line" and "cut block" before that hunt smile so it was cool to see you mention it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.