Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 could have hit him 2 or 3 times in that time span.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, lay a great shot in there while the bear is completely unaware, then let him know exactly where the problem is. That is exactly why non-residents need guides. People would get hurt doing what you suggest...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The shot was obviously fatal and the bear had no idea what happened so it wasn't going to go far. Shoot it again and it probably would have run off at full speed - or charged. I dont really care for Jack but in this case he did the right thing IMHO. As for the penetration is this the bear that he illegaly used an expanding head on? I know it shows in the video he's using a ficed blade head but that could have been edited in after he got all the grief for using an expandable (which I believe is illegal for grizz in AK) on the video.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow good thing I don't need a guide or your opinion. I have stuck several bears with two arrows and no problem. Its call shot selection. He had a perfect quartering away shot at it that would have ended the story and still not given his position away anymore or less then the first shot did. However he still didn't have good arrow penetration and he was well enough behind the shoulder. Maybe not a clear pass thru but should have at least made an exit to some degree.

Reelman the video like you said showed a fixed blade head, however could very well have been doctored.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Would also explain the bad penatration.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, bad penetration like failed bullets in dead critters...

Doubt seriously you ever stuck a bear of that size... and probably not the same species, either. A bear that size is a whole different animal from the average Booboo.

I detest the guide's taint on that bear, but it is hard to argue with the killing shot and waiting...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't know dick about the outfitter/guide, but Jack is a sportsman - I do know that. Easy to criticize the shot and how it played out, but unless you were there, your opinion is weighed accordingly. Awesome bear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Following a huge, wounded Kodiak bear this spring I saw it take seven rounds which individually would have killed it... and it kept going for a ridiculously long time. Some critters are just amazing...

I have gotten to watch far more bears die than most, and I thought Jack's bear was a very well done thing right up until they hauled out some CS handgun... wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lucky the guide had a rifle. If the bear had charged, that pistol would have been worthless in its current state. It was on half-cock. In an adrenalin state, it could've been easy get confused trying to get it into action.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why take the fun out of the hunt??

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Brittingham doesn't do much for me.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Arac
"Perfect shot, dead in 10 minutes"? I have never shot a bear with archery equipment, but that seems like an awefully long time. Is that normal or expected?

I've killed 2 bulls and numerous deer. Never had on last even a minute. I did see one bull shot that hung in for 2-3, but I wasn't the one who sharpened the heads, so I don't know what condition they were in. My first bull took 3 lunges and crashed. The second made it 7 feet from where I shot.

Last edited by 280shooter; 10/15/12.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No sir you are correct I have not killed a bear that big. I have killed a few that were big enough to have made book. The first up on the Taku about a half mile from Canada. The second in Idaho Inlet. Both I put two arrows into, and both died about 10 yards from where they were shot. The first one was shot at 18 yards and the second was shot at 31 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought it was a bit strange that they found him back in the timber, like the guide knew he was there.

They didn't say anything about a moose kill but you can clearly see the bear is lying on one. Hopefully for Mr Brittingham, that hunt was legit but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Either way, what a freakin monster of a bear!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonder if the guide knew he NEEDED a controlled round feed rifle to hunt those dangerous bears?! Didn't he know that going after grizzly with a Remington 700 is akin to taking a knife to a gun fight?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jack is a great guy and I feel fortunate to call him a friend. To armchair quarterback him from behind a keyboard is a little ridiculous

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to be in Jack's shoes.
He's a hunting machine.

I meant not to stir controversy, but do consider that bear to be among the greatest trophies taken anywhere by anyone in my lifetime.

I've looked at that footage a hundred times.

Proud NRA Life Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I sliped out the back door just today, crap there it was the one I have been looking at most all year! But the wind is wrong and I'am on the down slope thou determind I no I should be carefull.But eversteady of nerves I moved on. Then a unexpected animal flushed,I was stone fast afraid to look for it was something was a mis. 10 min later the rabbit moved and I got the pumpkin,My best to date. grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ten years ago I guided an archery elk hunt that Jack was on, with 2 of his friends. I had spent 3 days hanging tree stands on water in some killer places. When Jack and his buddies arrived for the hunt they told me to pound sand and that they wouldn't sit in a tree over water. They wanted to hunt on the ground and call the bulls in. Always thought that was cool of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Jack is a great guy and I feel fortunate to call him a friend. To armchair quarterback him from behind a keyboard is a little ridiculous

I don't think that he's the one being "arm chair quarterbacked", I think it's the guide that's getting all the scrutiny.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.