Hop To
S
Seuss Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Guys,
New owner of a Horton Havoc, got it yesterday, is amazingly accurate and also amazingly LOUD (especially compared to the Greg Ritz videos on Horton's website).
Any tips to quiet it down? Do Limbsavers help at all?
Thanks.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Heavier bolts and ear plugs. It's the nature of the beast, esp compound crossbows

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They ARE loud.
I have an Excalibur Exocet 200 and have the same dilema you have.
It's SO accurate it isnt funny, but its as loud as my .22 mag rifle going off. Then the other thing is, you're only going to get 1 shot, period! That would be the damn DUMBest deer in the world if he stood around for you get a 2nd crossbow shot. lol

So:
I've got my vertical compound bows up and running again and am using the crossbow for late season when the leaves are down and the deer are spooky.

Last edited by Two503000; 10/05/12.

Phil
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the recurve models are a good bit quieter? I could see trying one out for collecting some late-season freezer meat, as our archery season runs several weeks past the close of gun season.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No, they are not quieter than the compound crossbow versions.
The crossbow simply helps with the limited movement required, which in late season, those deer are just SO tuned in.
I've also never had "fun" shooting my crossbow. Everything is just matter-of-fact. I see it as a specialized tool I can use if I want to.

Shooting my Mathews and Hoyt bows are fun and all you hear is a light "thunk" when the arrow is released.

Last edited by Two503000; 10/05/12.

Phil
IC B2

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Daughter used my Dad's Horton Vison last Sat. on a nice big doe. We've been shooting it for a few weeks and I've been pleased and surprised by how quiet it is compared to any other X-bow I've been around.

S
Seuss Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have ~20 rounds through the bow, discharged it last night into a bag after hunting, got up at 445am this morning to go out, got dressed, went to cock it, no bow string, guessing it departed into the abyss last night? This is troubling to say the least.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Even though my Barnett crossbow is not quiet, its one that has never had an arrow miss the aiming point by more than an inch on live animals. That tells me the noise is made up for somewhat by the speed.

Of course I"ve never shot a long show with the crossbow and see no need to either. I just set up correctly and get close shots or none at all.

As to some folks comments about being to mechanical.... lets just say if you bowhunt long enough with anything, anything should become mechanical. If not you are not improving. Its one reason I went to long range rifle shooting, bow hunting, was a given, if they were within my range, there was no question they were dead. Actually got boring after about 30 years of bowhunting...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Seuss Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
A follow up to the MIA string, I emailed Horton w the issue and my concerns, their solution was to send me a string which I would have to pay to have installed.
The company I purchased it from, Sportsman's Outfitters in Dothan, AL, thankfully thought otherwise. They offered immediately to send a new bow (at no cost) w a UPS label to return the old.
That alone has earned my business going forward.
Thank you Sportsman's Outfitters!!!!

Last edited by Seuss; 10/15/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.