Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by Brad

WOW!!! Brad at a loss for words reguarding Kimbers!!!

LOL!!!!

It's not a usual thing laugh

Actually was related to Savage 99's comments.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I don't know a better way to objectively analyze a cartridges effectivness in the scheme of things than to measure its' popularity and game taking ability.And no better way to do that, than tally BG scores in the hands of 100's of thousands of hunters over decades of use....The 270 wins on both counts.

Well that's my point then Bob. You can't compare those two objectively when the 270 came out commercially in the 1920's.

RD: Well it would help things for the cartridge if it got cambered in some commonly available rifles and ammo were better distributed.

Frankly I am surprised more manufacturers don't chamber and offer it because it really is a good cartridge.....like you I visit gun shops frequently and have seen one 280AI for sale (a Dakota M76 costing over $5k) and exactly one box of ammo ( that's how I know what the case looks like in real life! grin

I really think it is destined to remain a loonies cartridge,unless someone picks up on it and mainstreams the thing.

Risk vs Reward : We know that the .270 or .30'06 will sell, but the .280AI, .280, 6.5-06, .257 etc. might take longer to move.
If the distributors could offer some custom caliber selection in a timely manner, we might not have to take the "inventory-friendly" option.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I don't know a better way to objectively analyze a cartridges effectivness in the scheme of things than to measure its' popularity and game taking ability.And no better way to do that, than tally BG scores in the hands of 100's of thousands of hunters over decades of use....The 270 wins on both counts.

Well that's my point then Bob. You can't compare those two objectively when the 270 came out commercially in the 1920's.

RD: Well it would help things for the cartridge if it got cambered in some commonly available rifles and ammo were better distributed.

Frankly I am surprised more manufacturers don't chamber and offer it because it really is a good cartridge.....like you I visit gun shops frequently and have seen one 280AI for sale (a Dakota M76 costing over $5k) and exactly one box of ammo ( that's how I know what the case looks like in real life! grin

I really think it is destined to remain a loonies cartridge,unless someone picks up on it and mainstreams the thing.

Risk vs Reward : We know that the .270 or .30'06 will sell, but the .280AI, .280, 6.5-06, .257 etc. might take longer to move.
If the distributors could offer some custom caliber selection in a timely manner, we might not have to take the "inventory-friendly" option.

I think Kimber is somewhat "mainstreaming" it. It's the most interesting round in an 84L to me. Not because the other options are bad...but I think the .280AI is the most for the least in a light weight long action (again, not that "the most" is of REAL measureable advantage over the other options). grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
...but I think the .280AI is the most for the least in a light weight long action (again, not that "the most" is of REAL measureable advantage over the other options). grin

I couldn't have put that better myself. I think it was Big Stick that said a long time ago, that the 280 Ackley was the best thing that ever happened to 06 brass (or words to that effect) and I tend to agree. When you consider case capacity (velocity) and bullet weights/construction available in 284, I think it maximizes the benefit of 06 brass.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Things are different on here....the average CF member (being more than a bit "loonie"),regards a Kimber as "mainstream",and I suppose it is since these same members also tend to own one or two customs, or more. grin

But to an awful lot of people,Kimbers are not mainstream.....first they are not commonly available,at least back here you order and wait for them sometimes months.

Second, you don't see many in stock in many stores.And IME Kimbers linger an awful long time on gun store racks,while M70's and Remingtons flie off the shelves come hunting season....at least back here.

Third you can't find 280AI ammo (ever) in any store in the northeast that I frequent....and some are good sized and high volume gun shops who easily do as much gun business as any Cabela's or similar stores.

By "mainstream", I mean I can walk in and pick one off te rack like I can a Remington,Winchester, or Ruger 30/06 or 270,7 mag,or 243.Plus a good variety of ammo and easily available brass to feed it.

I think that would really help the cartridge take off if it were chambered by Winchester, Remington,and Ruger....right now it is strictly the fodder of rifle nuts and handloaders.

No cartridge will ever be truly popular if chambered for hard to obtain rifles and with no easily available ammo. Jus my view from where I sit.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/18/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
True....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JCM one other thing I did not mention is that the advantages to a 280AI are pretty nuanced and ellusive to the average guy who struggles to distinguish between a 270 and a 30/06.....nevermind something sitting squarely in the middle.

I mean we "get it" on here,but the average hunter/rifleman is gonna be lost grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just ran into cabelas here in MN and found a box of the Nosler 280AI fodder. Surprised to see it. Little dusty from being there awhile. I agree with what everyone has to say about the 280AI. Truth is I likely wouldnt see any difference between the any of them at the ranges i typically shoot and trust myself in taking. I guess it came down to the "just because" argument. Being that i roll my own helps it out alot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well Bob, by your criteria, a 30-30 is better than the 280 Ackley........... grin After all, it's killed more animals and it's available in more locations.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RD: If I really believed that, I wouldn't have a 7mm Mashburn smile

NOW you're talking out on a limb when it comes to ammo...you'll never see that in a gunstore anywhere grin

Backing up the rare and exotic,hard to find...is a fleet of 270 Winchesters.....you know, the Gay Peasant cartridge?. cool smile

Mix them up, I say! Life's a gamble.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stevenautique
Hey everybody- I had someone offer me a kimber 84L or ascent in a 280AI. Unfortunately i was just told that the rifle still needed to be ordered and not here! I like the 280AI as a cartridge but it can take upto 1 year for the rifle to ship from Kimber. That is a loooong time.

Nope, I know where there is one sitting on the shelf. Brand new and just waiting....

Handled it in the store 2 days ago.

Last edited by battue; 10/18/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Hey everybody- I had someone offer me a kimber 84L or ascent in a 280AI. Unfortunately i was just told that the rifle still needed to be ordered and not here! I like the 280AI as a cartridge but it can take upto 1 year for the rifle to ship from Kimber. That is a loooong time.

Nope, I know where there is one sitting on the shelf. Brand new and just waiting....

And I know where there is a barely shot one that might be for sale soon...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[quote=Savage_99]Have you felt inside of your fired brass to see if there is any significant thinning at the expansion web?

The headspace is tighter shooting 280 ammo through a saami spec AI than the original wildcat. This causes less expansion at the web.....not more!

Shod

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I really like the .280 AI on paper. Had a plain ol' .280 for a short while, but it was pretty bland to me. I shoot a .270 WSM and a 7 rem mag. Not only are rifles a dime a dozen, but ammo is too. Most hunters are not handloaders, and most can't even shoot well enough to squeeze all the performance out of a 7-08. They don't know what the round is or what it can do, and there are cartridges that make it unnecessary, perhaps even irrelevant (gasp!).
I still want one, just because. Maybe if the new Forbes rifle is chambered in one I'll finally give in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Light is an off-season fantasy that's easy to overdue.

Funny, i made my rifle lighter in the off season and my fantasy is still a lighter rifle. laugh

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by battue

And I know where there is a barely shot one that might be for sale soon...

Ok you two- Can you PM me some information?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Light is an off-season fantasy that's easy to overdue.

Funny, i made my rifle lighter in the off season and my fantasy is still a lighter rifle. laugh

I suppose it depends what one calls "light" no?

For me, the Kimber MT at 6lbs 4oz's all-up weight is the absolute limit of light-weight... and I'd prefer it 8oz's heavier ala a no.2 contour.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very true Brad just razzin' ya. laugh You know I don't shoot 300+ very often (haven't in 5-6 years) and only 400ish a couple times so absolute tack driver for my hunting rifle is not needed. Though I do carry it all the time so the lighter the better for my backpacking rifle. So long as I can still hit kill zone and knock 'em down is all I'm looking for. laugh

My Kimber is right at 5 pound 8 oz all up (empty mag) and still wish she was lighter, but will be money ahead shaving oz elsewhere now so I won't. laugh

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.