Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Just had a misfire on a nice one this morning w my Hawken. That never misfires. Honestly the pyrodex is about twelve to fifteen years old but has always been good. Now I have had some misfires sighting in this week and now this....never knew pyrodex to just "go bad". Thanks for any input.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my not too humble opinion, Pyrodex is bad before it leaves the factory...

On a lighter note, it really shouldn't be used in caplocks or flintlocks...does not ignite as easily as BP.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are your caps just as old?..

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have some very old (5 years or more). It is in quick loaders with a home lubed bullet on top to boot. I'll let you know.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
No, the caps are oh, about 5 years old. I only use so much Pyrodex and so many caps each year, so my supply has aged some. My misfires this week were sighting in my T/C Seneca (#11 caps), not the Hawken. However, I was using the same container of Pyrodex. The caps were fine in my opinion, both for the #11's and the musket...

I think the Pyrodex must have gone south on me...

Another point: after the misfires with the Seneca, I took a handful and put it on the ground and lit it...burned just fine.

I'm perplexed to say the least.

Last edited by Godogs57; 10/13/12.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Pyrodex starts to lose power in a few months once it's opened.

If I was going to use it for hunting. I'd buy a fresh bottle every year. It's cheaper than most boxes of CF ammo.

Sorry, but 15 years is ridiculous. You need to shoot more.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Put a peice of wax paper or platic over the hole when opean .Then try a mag spark to use a 209 primmer or if u can find one a accra shot that use a rifle primmer . But what the makers All goes bad with the seasons the store life in the sun ,in the cold, in damp weather so .Its all chit

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
We get a one week ML season here...that's all.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It's all we get here too.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
We get a one week ML season here...that's all.

One week of hunting per year ought to justify new propellent and caps at least one a year too! wink

I have some loose 777 to work up a load for a December hunt in WA state. I'll use up or discard some 777-pellets I hadn't decided what to do with, before reading this thread!

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Well alright...I must be cheap then. Opening a new can this afternoon....will see what we see!

Thanks for the help.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
let us know what you find out , but i have always been told pyrodex needs to be discarded after every season , if opened . i find that loose triple 7 stored properly seems ok for a couple of seasons but i don't trust any of it past that . tried some triple 7 pellets the other day that had been in speed loaders for a couple years and they were noticably weak when fired . with pyrodex a few years ago i found that recoil seemed ok but the gun wouldn't shoot a group , loaded up fresh powder and it went back to shooting as good as it usually did .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It all depends on how you store it.I have some that's five years old and still goes bang EVERY time.
The muzzle loader season might only be a week or so but you can hunt with a muzzle loader during regular season.I do a LOT.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Well folks....it seems a new canister was a difference maker this afternoon. Glad to know it was not the rifles fault. Blame excessive operator headspace for my troubles.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There you go.

The only two powders that I know that won't go stale are real black powder. Providing you keep it in a sealed container. Even if it's been opened every year.

The other one is BH 209, but it won't work in your Hawken.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 10/14/12.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have found Pyrodex and777 deteriorates vfter opening.It goes bang but at a different rate and you end up chasing ghost.We buy an new batch vey year.Throw the old stuff out. This year I went back to black powder.So far I have killed a cow elk and a doe deer with it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shoot real BP most of the time (meaning when I can find any) but use Pyrodex when I cannot. I have three bottles of Pyrodex RS and one of them is open. It is fifteen or more years old, is stored in the barn, and shoots just like the day I opened it. Never had a missfire and it seems to shoot okay as far as grouping goes. I cannot say about power as its not been used on game but it does shoot to the same POI as holy black in my rifle. Mauser Hunter is right, I don't shoot BP guns enough but its because of the other things I shoot. Anyway now I have to go find some more Pyrodex since you have all scared me about this old powder substitute.

Last edited by stantdm; 10/17/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, thank you guys! I had no clue - and no bad experience either with old 777, but the can from the last year must go!

How do you dispose of old powder? The kid in me usually takes it to the range, leave half a cup in the can and use the rest to make a line to it. SHHHHHHH - BANG!!

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.