Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The kids around here have a 3 day break from school. I finished up my office work yesterday, loaded up the Suburban with the help of my older daughter, and we picked her little sister up from piano lessons and headed to the range.
I had a little range work to do in preparation for deer hunting, so while I was shooting groups with the .243 Win and sighting in the .260 Rem, I set them up in the back of the Suburban with their Cricketts, as it was blowing about 30 mph and misting on and off.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I put their steel disk set up (thanks jcvibby!) at 50 yds and put my target up at 100 yds.
[Linked Image]
As I was shooting groups, all of a sudden I'm seeing the rocks behind my target move. They thought it would be fun to shoot at my target at one hundred yds. with their open site Crickett .22s. So we moved their steel targets to 100 yds, and I'll be darned if they didn't ring them up out there! Not as frequent as at 50 yds, but with open sites and a 30 mph crosswind, they did well.

When I was done, I had ten rounds of .243 Win for them to work with. 60 gr. Sierras with 20 gr. of Blue Dot running it downrange. I've got the full-length stock on the M788 right now, but I have a cut-down stock for them. They still did well - 10 for 10 from the back of the Suburban on the steel targets.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
They learned how to use a rear bag to make fine adjustments to elevation and enjoyed shooting from prone position.

My 7 y/o enjoyed playing with the LRF
[img]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu58/selmerfan/Gun%20photos/IMG_5113.jpg[/img]

And dad showed off by ringing the gongs with the .357 Maximum at 100 yds - they wanted to know how I could shoot lying on my back.
[img]http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu58/selmerfan/Gun%20photos/IMG_5129.jpg[/img]

Now we have to wait for the rain to stop so we can got out again. Yes, I said rain! The first rain we have seen in over 3 months - going on 1.5" and still falling as I type, thank God!!!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Rain you say? We've been getting more or less saturated for the last 2-3 weeks. frown

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
cool Good read. Great memories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet you hear all kinds of stuff when those two are riding along with you. grin

Cute girls need guns too. Good of you to figure out a way for them to participate and spend time outdoors, even if it is from the back of a truck....lol

Now with even more aplomb
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your post made me smile, Selmer!

Keep up the great work -- that is part of shooting's future there!

John

IC B2

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
I bet you hear all kinds of stuff when those two are riding along with you. grin

Cute girls need guns too. Good of you to figure out a way for them to participate and spend time outdoors, even if it is from the back of a truck....lol

So...favorite thing I've heard them say in the car. Driving down one of the wider streets in town a couple of years ago in late January we met a wedding processional headed for the community center in a horse-drawn carriage decked out in white Christmas lights. It was about 7 p.m., dark out, and we slowed down to show the girls the carriage. The groom was bundled in a heavy trench coat and scarf. The bride was dressed in a huge, beautiful white fur coat with white wrap. My youngest asks me, "Hey daddy - do you think they had to kill a polar bear for her coat?" Older pipes in "No, look at it, it's huge, they must have killed TWO polar bears for that coat!" Younger "Oh, you're probably right." I couldn't reply because tears were streaming down my face from laughter...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
T
T
Looks like they really enjoyed being there. Kids... We really do need to take the time to be with them while they are young because when they grow older, we'll have a hard time getting them off from their computer screens, friends and phone.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good work!
Thanks for sharing.

Good sharing,good father. Thanks.

S
S
'like father like daughter' good job ~~~

android tablets| car dvd players | home supply |health care products|toys|sports goods | NEEDED. please contact me through
PM.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Selmer,

Good job... and cute future Ms Minnesota gals to boot...

must have been a great day!

that 20 grains of Blue Dot with a 60 grain HP load sounds familiar... does awfully well for me...

wish my son was that young once again... I could be a parent over and over again, experiencing times like that...

I never understand why so few parents stay involved in their children's lives in our society...

so many don't even have a clue how much they are missing...

thanks for being a great parent to your kids...

this country needs all the dad's like you, that it can get...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
great pics

Take a kid huntin /fishin/trappin/shootin, you won't regret it
J
J
We've been getting more or less saturated for the last 2-3 weeks. frow

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I really like seeing young people learning to shoot.
Thank You for sharing.
Enjoy every single minute you can spend with them while they are young.
Mine grew up way too fast....and now they travel to far off, dangerous lands for years at time....

Good goin'. Keep them involved and get them to get their friends involved too. Can't have too many young people getting into shooting and hunting.

Paul

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
347 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 37 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.