24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree, go while you can. It ain't gonna get cheaper and you're not getting any younger.

I'm glad I went when I did, as I couldn't afford it now with the economy. If you try to save the money to go, inflation and prices keep going up, and you can't save it up fast enough to keep up with the costs.

Bite the bullet....so to speak....

BP-B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Physical pain, training for nine months, and being cold and wet are not my idea of a good hunt. Especially if it costs $20,000. I would much rather hunt bear in Alaska, preferably from a boat or ATV. If sheep were the only Alaska choice, I would hunt plains game in Africa. I think some of those animals (kudu, gemsbok, zebra) are equally or more attractive than a sheep. If you're into a "difficult" hunt, don't shoot the first kudu you see, but look for a really good one.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I haven't gone sheep hunting yet but plan to do it here in the Yukon. The physical challenge gives me a goal to work on and any excuse to lose weight, get in good shape and adopt a healthy life style is a good one.

I also love the mountains. Can't imagine a better thing to do. When I hit 200 pounds I am getting the tag!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not Alaska, but if your heart desires a ram.....

On the sheep hunts you may be able to see sheep right from the horses or you may have to ride the horses part way up the mountain and then climb over the top to see what is on the other side. The moose hunts and caribou hunts are spot and stalk although we do some calling for moose when circumstances permit it. The grizzlies tend to be spot and stalk unless we can find a wolf kill or unless we are hunting on the spawning salmon along the rivers. The bison hunts are spot and stalk but they are also winter hunts and we access the country with snowmobiles.

The area has a dry climate and you can often ride to wherever you point your horse, which often includes to the tops of the mountains. Each year we have some hunters that are over 70 years old and our oldest hunter so far has been 80. They have been successful however, in order to ensure that you have the most fun and the best opportunity during your hunt we recommend that you try to be in good shape as you can. This allows you the flexibility to go to any camp and have a great time.

http://www.yukonsheep.com/hunt.htm

POL Offline
Never hunted in Alaska, but good posts Ghost. I admire you at 71 years hunting Alaska and Africa. You are in it for the "hunt".

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Physical pain, training for nine months, and being cold and wet are not my idea of a good hunt. Especially if it costs $20,000. I would much rather hunt bear in Alaska, preferably from a boat or ATV. If sheep were the only Alaska choice, I would hunt plains game in Africa. I think some of those animals (kudu, gemsbok, zebra) are equally or more attractive than a sheep. If you're into a "difficult" hunt, don't shoot the first kudu you see, but look for a really good one.

Goes to show different strokes for different folks. The harder a hunt is, the more meaning it has for me. Not that I don't do about everything I can at times, but the more work involved of my own its much more personal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Not everyone has to train for 9 months, and whats wrong with Physical fitness?

As fas as being cold and wet, you're assuming..My sheep hunts were neither cold nor wet..

You can do sheep hunts for much less than 20K...

Different strokes for different folks obviously...

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Some responses to the points you bring up:

- I was in terrible physical condition when I started the preparations, i.e. one mile with a 30 pound pack on flat ground was a struggle. Training for 12 months actually improved my quality of life. Sheep hunting was the goal so that I trained hard knowing what the reward was and I was less likely to give up. It has paid dividends since the hunt as well. I'm not in as good of shape as after my hunt, but my weight remains down and I look back on it as the week that turned my health around.
- $20k is a high price. My hunt was much less but we also didn't use horses, etc.
- For me, anything hunted from a boat or ATV is not for me. As one person's signature reads 'I prefer to hunt with the quads God gave me'. To each his own, but I really believe that much is lost on a hunt when you aren't spending the day walking in the silence of nature (unless elk or moose hunting in the rut, of course, but that's a whole different story).
- For some reason Africa has never interested me for a hunt. I grew up reading O'Conner and sheep hunting. While Capstick was fun to read, plains game does not appear to have the type of adventure I prefer. I'd rather be in a tent and sleeping bag without snakes, etc. around than at a fully equipped lodge.

Sheep hunting is not for everyone, but if you've dreamed of doing it, it's the only thing that will scratch that itch.

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
I just turned 49. I will need to save for several years. I do not have any physical problems but after reading all the post here it sounds like you need to be 18 and a top 5 marathon runner to enjoy your self. It looks like it will be every bit of $20,000 to go. I have never hunted Alaska but it is my dream. I do not want to spend the money to realize I can not do it or it is so difficult it will not be enjoyable. I will hunt Alaska as that is my true dream. Sheep is just one of the animals I would like to hunt but I am starting to think it is to late and it would be better to go to plan B.

Bullschit. Find yourself a Crossfit gym and get started. Then start adding in the Crossfit Endurance programming 4-6mo before your hunt, after learning proper POSE running form. Biggest favor you'll ever do for yourself.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not everyone lives where there are things like crossfit gyms...

Of course thats why we have the better insanity CDs in the game room....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of arm chair sheep hunters giving advice... I love it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Surely your are not suggesting that people hunted sheep before the invention of crossfit?

As far as I know the only sheep killed before crossfit were killed by Ironman triathletes and the navy seals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EDMHUNTER
I just turned 49. I will need to save for several years. I do not have any physical problems but after reading all the post here it sounds like you need to be 18 and a top 5 marathon runner to enjoy your self. It looks like it will be every bit of $20,000 to go. I have never hunted Alaska but it is my dream. I do not want to spend the money to realize I can not do it or it is so difficult it will not be enjoyable. I will hunt Alaska as that is my true dream. Sheep is just one of the animals I would like to hunt but I am starting to think it is to late and it would be better to go to plan B.

EDM Hunter:

No, you don't need to be a marathon runner or a youngster to have a safe, enjoyable, comfortable and successful sheep hunt in Alaska. The majority of my sheep hunting clients are in their 50s and 60s and for the most part, are not in any type of "mountain shape".

And, keep in mind that you don't need to backpack for Dall sheep in Alaska, either. Granted, air access is certainly the way to go, but it's not necessary to backpack for trophy Dall sheep, even after "flying in". Frequently enough, my clients have actually killed rams right from the tent, which wasn't backpacked in. In fact, I don't offer backpack hunts, unless a client specifically requests something like that.

And in closing, you can still find quality hunts in Alaska at nominal cost. If you shop around, you should be able to find a sheep hunt whereas after you include the cost of airline travel and license/tag(s) fees and shipping cost and travel incidentals, that sets you back about $12,000.00 or less.

Maverick

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks for all the reply's! I will start the saving and training for sheep.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was 60 when I did my last sheep hunt in the Alaska Range east of Healy. It worked out okay, but it was tough on me. I got a nice ram on the last day. We were snow and fogged in for 9 days.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
441 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.