Print Thread
Hop To
C
cs2blue Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
A friend asked to mount a scope a lever gun he bought from elderly neighbor. She won the gun years ago in a raffel and never ever opened the box! He gave her $100.00 bucks for it. It is ported trapper model with a 16 inch barrel. It has some really nice wood on it! I did nto know they made the trappers with a ported barrel. It has a straight grip on it. He plans to use it deer hunting. It is a neat little gun! Light and packable with good horsepower out to 150 yards!I wish it was mine!!!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds like he got a relatively rare Model 1894P (made in 2000-2001, IIRC) in .44 Mag, worth at least $650 (what I recently sold mine for online) from her.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are really cool little guns. I have the 1894 Limited 44 Mag with the 16.5" barrel and no ports. I don't think a handier woods rifle for deer/hogs/bear etc has ever been made.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd love to have one those are sweet guns been lookin to trade a Winchester 94 I have for one for awhile

You dont hurt them if you dont hit them
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a very similar Winchester 94 Packer, but without the ports. Sweet carbine for sure.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had one. I loved carrying it, hated shooting it. It was LOUD!. Shot good with 200gr Noslers over H110. Several DRT deer. Sold it for a pre-safety regular barrel length .44.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
C
cs2blue Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I took the trapper to the range after getting the scope mounted. My friend asked if i would sight the gun in for him. I was happy to do so and I wanted to shoot this neat little rifle!. I used Winchester white box 44mag 240gr Soft pt. The ammo Chono'ed at 1741FPS out of the 16 inch barrel.I was impressed with the speed. The gun was louad off the bench but recoil was fine. At 100yards the 3 shot group was two shots in same hole and the third about 1 1/2 inches apart. Again I was impressed! At 150yds the group opend up to about 5 inches with a called flier by me.Other wise the group would have been about 3 1/2 inches! I made a bad wind call on that pulled shot. This gun was pretty cool to shot and I still want to keep it. I would ditch the scope incsatll a peep sight and work the trigger a bit. Other than that I would just shoot it and take it hunting. MB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I had my Marlin 24" Cowboy Special in .44 mag I was getting 2,000+FPS using their factory ammo. It was a 240 grain truncated bullet. Those .44 mag can really haul azz out of a rifle.

I used both a peep sight and a scope, of the two, the peep sight was the better sight.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For many years, I hunted northern California blacktails with my 44 MAG carbine and plain Weaver 4X scope. It would group 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards shooting Hornady 200 gr hollowtip bullets. These bullets hit like little grenades and rip wide wound channels through the chest organs!

But my older Marlin did not shoot 240 grain bullets very accurately. This mystery was never solved. Perhaps related to the slo-o-o-ow twist and micro-groove rifling.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
have one of the 1894P's myself, would have preferred it have no ports, but it is very handy. as i recall, they made a few of the ported .357s too.

mine wore a 2x sightron at first, then swapped that to a 1-4x Leupold, finally switched that a couple years ago to a williams ghost ring rear peep & hi-viz front.

marlin sent out a few of those with some wood that was "tolerable". wink

mine shoots better with lighter slugs; i kinda seem to recall reading something about the twist in those, but never checked mine to see what it was.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================

IC B3

C
cs2blue Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Firepower, i did not try the lighter slugs due time constraints. I would have liked totry on a better day, less gusty winds. that rifle is nice and would be a joy to carry as it weighs nothing. My backpack would heavier! Steve said he would leave me the gun in his will, but would not sell it to me outright! His gun has some nice wood on it but no where near what your has! I still what one but in our county we have to use shotguns. MB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd call that a gift.

I hope your "friend" is as kind a neighor as she is.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.