Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I am trying to take out front action screw from VZ24, there is no capture screw, just the action screw that just wont budge. At this point none of my screwdrivers would bite the screw. I was wondering if there is a trick to take it out... the action has no rust, but full of cosmoline. Thank you

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Secure the gun in a padded vice and use an impact screw driver, carefully. That, following a good soaking with penetrating oil. If all fails, you may have to drill the head off the screw, using a drill bit slightly larger than the screw shank. With the head off, you can remove the bottom metal, grip the remaining shank with Vice Grips and unscrew it from the action. Of course, you'll need a new screw.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a MkV who's front guard screws head was epoxied to the trigger guard during bedding. All previous attempts at removing the offending beast failed. This is alternate plan D.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Malm,

The OP probably doesn't have the screw head epoxied to the bottom metal like that one. He could just drill the head and have enough shank for Vice Grip extraction without needing the Ease Out.

Must have been a real "Rocket Surgeon" who did that to what looks like a nice Wby.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What dirfarmer and Malm suggested is spot on.

Here's one another tip. If the screw head is not totally stripped and you can use an impact driver put a dab of coarse valve grinding or lapping compound on the bit. It gives a little extra bite and helps prevent it from slipping. This works on both slotted or phillips head screws.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks for the tip on the grinding compound. Would have never thought of doing that.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Malm
This is a MkV who's front guard screws head was epoxied to the trigger guard during bedding. All previous attempts at removing the offending beast failed. This is alternate plan D.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You could heat that screw segment, stuck in the bottom metal, to around 600* with a propane torch and tap it out. JB Weld and Epoxy can't stand that much heat and it won't hurt the steel. But you probably know that, already... laugh

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The pictures are just depicting the process. How far one has to go depends on what they finds once the bottom metal is removed. Whether the screw head is epoxied or otherwise fouled to the point it won't move doesn't matter, the process is the same. As far as the Weatherby goes, it would have been nice had there been something to grab onto, but there wasn't.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

You could heat that screw segment, stuck in the bottom metal, to around 600* with a propane torch and tap it out. JB Weld and Epoxy can't stand that much heat and it won't hurt the steel. But you probably know that, already... laugh

DF

The head popped loose using a hammer and a punch from behind.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice post with great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of knowledge here guys, thank you for the info.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

611 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,071 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.