Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I agree with a lot of his thoughts, specifically that development practices taught in higher education should focus on development practices in the development world, NOT focus on trying to change the development practices in the sw development world to meet practices that the education world wants to push.

Amen. It was frustrating to learn Pascal knowing full well that when I graduated everyone was using C/C++.

I did exactly the same thing, with exactly the same languages, except that I'd never heard of C++, until I got the job that required me to learn C. My boss called me into his office, handed me Stroustrup, and said, "Have you ever heard of this language?" I said no, and he said, "Learn it."

So I did. It was eye-opening. My first C++ class was a TIFF codec. I remember that it was frickin' huge (because it included all the possible sub-codecs in the TIFF spec, which is a lot), but I don't really remember enough else about it to sufficiently nauseate me.

Occasionally I wish I could dig that code back up, buy a case of Dramamine, and examine it. I bet it's pretty horrifying.

Originally Posted by nighthawk
You're all giving me an inferiority complex. I'm programming in C after leaving Assembler not that long ago and still using Assembler where speed and size count. But that's microcontrollers where you have to live close to the metal so C is a good fit.

nighthawk, it's been a coon's age since I worked in Assembler.

So to change the subject, does anybody know where that expression--a coon's age--came from? Is it a racial slur, like Jerry-rig or Chinese fire drill or gyp?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never mind--I just had to look it up.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looked at Ruby very briefly before settling on Python, Python seemed more organized along the ways I think. Could've been wrong. For me tk seems like a pain in the ass, widgets never line up the way I expect so I have to fool with it more than I'd like. But it is small and built into the distros and well known. I may give wxPython a shot, it's been around a long time and is still being actively worked on. Yeah, if I switch an learn a new GUI I want to do it only once. What little I do on a PC is small stuff the usual commercial apps don't do or do in a cumbersome manner. Like this though it was as much for practice as a useful app.

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, having lived here and there you have to be more circumspect in using the term in some parts of the country than others. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For that, I'd just make a command-line interface. It'd be simple enough to slap a GUI on it if I had to, but for something that simple--and for something I'd be the only one using--a GUI would be overkill.

Well, okay, unless it was in JavaScript. I could probably write that in JavaScript as part of a static .html file, test-driven with jasmine, and then load it into a browser for the GUI.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could do it with a command line interface easily enough but with a window it's only 76 lines total and the bulk of that is from templates. And you don't have to try to remember the syntax next year. I've got another on the desktop that takes a scanned target image. You select a shot group and it calculates group size and a statistical analysis and presents them graphically as you choose over the target image which you can save or print. Unfortunately I updated Python a few weeks ago and haven't installed the PIL image library so I can't add a screen shot right now. Boring anyway.

Which explains a lot.
Barak Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm a Unix guy, though. I figure with functionality like that, I'd want to use it as a utility in a bigger program. That's much easier with a command-line interface than with a GUI.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 64 invisible), 3,046 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.