Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for that info. All I could add to that would be that I know Zastava - who made my rifle - do in fact make all sorts of stuff including heavy and light machine guns. Just a stab in the dark but maybe they make their bolt action rifle barrels from the same barrel steel rather than having different steels for smaller volume runs.

In fact on closer examination the Zastava company is an interesting one. They make all kinds of weird and wonderful crap!

Gotta love them eastern Europeans!

- Bob

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks too Journeyman. Starting to make a little sense.

I will get back to you guys in about another 5000 rounds and let you know how this rock-hard vanadium barrel is holding up! Should only take 10 or 15 years...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Originally Posted by Huntz

Bob,I am not seeing where it tells the barrels compostion!!!!Huntz

Huntz, under "Description" which is under the picture of the rifle, ie:
Sporting rifles Zastava M70 are famous for their authentic Mauser locking system (rotating bolt). Barrels are made of cold forged chrome-vanadium steel, which enables constant accuracy and exceptional durability. Metal parts have surface protection and the rifle features black synthetic stock. These sporting rifles are produced without mechanical sights and it's possible to mount optical devices.

Bob,thanks I found it now.You learn something new every day.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah we do learn something every day... now at least I know what vanadium is. I suspect as this is a cheap rifle - but all things considered a pretty good one - that the vanadium steel is not necessarily any better. Probably cheaper than the chrome moly used in most more expensive rifles.

Anyway it shoots well now, and only time will tell about the durability of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Probably cheaper than the chrome moly used in most more expensive rifles."

I wouldn't think it would be cheaper. From what I have been able to find, the chemical composition of the chrome moly and chrome vanadium is about the same. The difference is that the chrome
moly has vanadium added to it.

It still has about the same amount of moly, just vanadium added. I would not think this would make it cheaper. I don't think either one is any better or worse than the other, other than the chrome vanadium has more heat resistance, so it might give better barrel life especially in rapid firing guns.

I don't see why one is chrome moly and the other is chrome vanadium. Chrome moly has moly and chrome vanadium has both moly and vanadium. Looks like the one with vanadium added could be named chrome moly-vanadium. The latter would be a better description of what the steel actually is.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by vapodog
I've never read any documented evidence of the merits of one steel over the other....Chrome-moly verses stainless....in regard to barrel life or accuracy.

The stainless is not real stainless as it will discolor to a degree.

As far as I'm concerned the biggest difference is that in the end one should pay for bluing on the chrome moly and may omit that step with stainless.....to me this makes stainless a bit less costly.

Is "stainless" not "stain proof"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
SS barrels will stain and corrode.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I thought that was well established

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When comparing steels used for gun barrels and knives, or, for that matter, any stainless steel that can be heat treated, are actually somewhat rust resistant.

By this I mean, Stainless barrels and knives will rust, but they are more rust resistant than non stainless. That is because so called stainless, as used in firearms and knives contain from about 14 to 17 percent chrome.

Stainless used for structural purposes and kitchen ware contain upwards of approximately 19-20 percent chrome.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 65 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.