Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have a good one? I'm serving antelope chops tomorrow night and have no idea how I'm going to prep them. I'd like to keep it simple if possible. wink

Thanks!
Eric

GB2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking along the lines of balsamic vinegar, rosemary, shallots, salt, pepper, maybe a little stone ground mustard...

Thanks,
Eric

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a simple go to marinade for any red game meat. 2 parts olive oil 1 part sesame oil 3 parts soy. Crushed garlic and black pepper to taste. Marinate for about an hour. Then onto a very hot grill and cook no more than med but for best taste I like to cook no more than the rare side of med rare. Hit with just a bit of salt as it comes off the grill.You really don't taste the marinade but it enhances the the flavor of the meat very well. Which is what I want with game meat I want to taste the meat not the seasonings. If I want some intense flavor I will just use a piece of tasteless cheap beef and go nuts with the seasonings.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I use a simple packet mesquite marinade and throw them on the grill. Medium rare.

I'm pretty shocked at how good antelope is. I shot my first in Wyoming this year.

You can cut the chops with a fork. Good vittles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep just don't over cook it! Some good ideas above...wonder how they work on unfilled tags? blush

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Unfilled tags tend to burn on the grill. Soup is a much better use for them. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's what I get for waiting until all my company filled their tags and going out the next weekend to fill mine....dang weather grin but I still have 2 deer and 1 elk tag left to use smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just curious, by chops do you mean medallion style cuts from the back strap/loin?

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Unfilled tags = less calories! wink

Thanks for the recipe recommendations guys!

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Just curious, by chops do you mean medallion style cuts from the back strap/loin?

I'm not sure. The processor has them wrapped up and labeled as "chops". I'll check it out tonight. I received burger, chops, steak and roast.

Eric

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If your processor did it the boneless method I am betting your chops are medallions or butterflies out of the backstrap.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Chops are backstrap.

The best meat excepting the tenderloins. We ate our tenderloins in camp. Friggin awesome.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those are good aren't they! Sadly I have seen too many people "season" them with the bladder sick

I did get a buck but I gave it to a friends Aunt & Uncle figuring I had 2 doe tags cry dang things were out everywhere today but season is over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I use a simple packet mesquite marinade and throw them on the grill. Medium rare.

I'm pretty shocked at how good antelope is. I shot my first in Wyoming this year.

You can cut the chops with a fork. Good vittles.

My sentiments exactly!

I got my first TWO of them in Wyoming this year, and after reading all of the hoopla & opionions of if they eat good or not, I threw some on the grill after a light seasoning and they were great!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It all worked out. I just had a killer dinner. The chops were backstrap medallions. I went with the original idea of a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, pepper, and stone ground mustard, adding salt to taste afterwards, and it turned out great! I really should have taken a photo because the grill marks with the light marinade on a pile of medallions really had great presentation value. I cooked them medium rare and they were nice and juicy. We had sweet potato fries on the side.

I'd like to try mesquite marinade on the steaks.

I also think chops would be great with a pineapple-chili glaze, going for the sweet-hot taste.

Eric

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Instead of mesquite marinade just use some mesquite wood next time you grill.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those are good aren't they! Sadly I have seen too many people "season" them with the bladder

That usually happens when people try to get through the pelvic bone with a knife.

For the pelvis, I switched to a 'Zip Saw' years ago and never looked back. It makes short work of the pelvic bone and never puntures the bladder. Pee don't taste too good. grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
372 members (320090T, 1lesfox, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 303savage, 37 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,587
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.