Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
There's a reason magazine rifles were considered an improvement.

By whom, and for what reason?

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I 'suppose' he was serious BUT....

I'd ask him, Would he prefer to go to war with a 'Single Shot'?

So EVERYONE in battle or going to war....

NOT TO MENTION the vast majority of hunters AND the bigger or more dangerous the game....I suppose we could GUESS.

I have shot more than once at deer BUT the vast majority of time, just once. It is comforting to KNOW there is a second shot READY & WAITING.

I have had single shots SO I know the argument FOR ss weapons.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like my encore, got a turkey barrel, .25-06 AI barrel and a ML barrel. They all work well. The gun is so frickin ugly I like its looks.....for those who don't like to see them on the shows TC is paying for I have a real simple solution: give up sitting on the couch watching animal snuff-flic informercials and go out and do something real with your time. We don't have TV in the house, we have two young boys we'd rather not have exposed to all the chit that passes for entertainment in today's society and the wife and I don't have the time to sit around with our mouths hanging open and our brains in neutral. I got a young retriever that needs work, chickens, horses, boats, guns...all kinds of things better to spend my time on than television.. just my $.02

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Why is that?

THERE WAS A HUGE AND WIDESPREAD STORM FRONT BUILDING POWER AS IT MOVED ACROSS THE COUNTRY DURING THE TIME OF THAT THREAD.

Barometer change caused it, I think

wink

Last edited by slopshot1; 10/31/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To answer the original question, I have had a bee in my bonnet for quite some time over the over-exposure of the TC Encore on TV. For one thing, it ain't particularly my taste in rifle. For another, it encourages this whole "one-shot-one-kill" idea in the extreme.

Now, mind you, I'm all for putting them down with one shot. Having said that, I always try to be ready for a second, or even a third shot if the situation arises. You would think that 1-s-1-k would be a humane way to go, but in reality it makes a lot of folks expect the animal to go down. They are not ready for the contingencies and the animal ends up suffering.

My feeling is that a lot of goobers see guys on TV shoot with a single-shot rifle and go out expecting the animal to die with only one shot, no matter what the reality is.

The most extreme example I can give of this is a response that I got a couple of years ago to a question regarding follow-up shots. Some fellow on a Kentucky hunting forum said that if he shot and the deer did not go down immediately, he would just figure it was time to give up hunting. I guess that's one way to get out of following a blood trail.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't own a TC as a gift, but that is all we may have to shoot if Obama is re-elected.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
To answer the original question, I have had a bee in my bonnet for quite some time over the over-exposure of the TC Encore on TV. For one thing, it ain't particularly my taste in rifle. For another, it encourages this whole "one-shot-one-kill" idea in the extreme.

Now, mind you, I'm all for putting them down with one shot. Having said that, I always try to be ready for a second, or even a third shot if the situation arises. You would think that 1-s-1-k would be a humane way to go, but in reality it makes a lot of folks expect the animal to go down. They are not ready for the contingencies and the animal ends up suffering.

My feeling is that a lot of goobers see guys on TV shoot with a single-shot rifle and go out expecting the animal to die with only one shot, no matter what the reality is.

The most extreme example I can give of this is a response that I got a couple of years ago to a question regarding follow-up shots. Some fellow on a Kentucky hunting forum said that if he shot and the deer did not go down immediately, he would just figure it was time to give up hunting. I guess that's one way to get out of following a blood trail.

Right on!

Couple or three decades ago, a former friend gushingly volunteered that hunting with a single-shot was "more sporting" than hunting with a repeater. I'd heard that silly rationale before, and though I love single-shots as much as he does, I told him not to try to sell me that garbage.

"Nobody owes it to an animal to kill it � unless you've pushed a bullet or an arrow into it and it doesn't die right away. Then you owe it to that animal to kill it as quickly as possible."

For years, I idolized a famous big-game hunter whom we don't hear anything about these days (appropriately). Had and cherished several of his books. Then I went (1955, 1956) to one of his lectures where he showed and narrated movies of his hunts. All was good � better than good � until he came to his leopard hunt.

He'd tethered a goat to a tree as bait for a leopard. He waited in a blind, Weatherby ready. A leopard came slinking to the tethered goat, which was making the expected motions and sounds of abject terror. Then the Mighty Hunter boasted of his cleverness.

He intentionally gut-shot the leopard to see what it'd do. As a south Alabama fox-hunter so eloquently put it later, "quicker'n seven gods can skin a minute," the leopard savaged the goat. The Mighty Hunter thought that that was funny. Let it go on for a while. Let the leopard kill the goat before he shot the leopard dead.

I didn't think that that was either clever or funny. I still don't. Threw his books away and never bought another � certainly not one of the signed copies that he was peddling at the lecture hall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Goat didn't think it was funny either

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw the same thing a couple of other times later, too.

At a SHOT Show several years ago, a manufacturer of (IIRC) hunters' scents was showing a videotape of a similar hunt. I watched for a while, until the tape came to a similar event, and The Mighty Hunter � like the first one � made light of what he'd done.

The other was a famous bowhunter � not Fred Bear or Chuck Adams � who did the same thing with an elephant. Wouldn't let his professional hunter administer a coup de gr�ce when the elephant stumbled away and finally fell. The video was more important, you see, and the elephant wasn't going to go anywhere. frown

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dr. Howell -

Thanks for your input & position.

I feel those were D I S G U S T I N G practices and so UNETHICAL.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought an Encore MZL a year or so after they first came out. It has been a solid performer and I have been very pleased with it to date.

I picked up a 22-250 and 444 barrel for it and have used them both for hunting. Both barrels shoot well but after a couple of seasons, the novelty wore off so the encore stays as a MZL. I am happy with this but the concept did work as advertised. I doubt I will buy another barrel for it but it scratched the itchy phase for me.

With the all of the above stated, it surprises me that I have never seen another person hunting with an Encore in a rifle configuration. Two friends bought them with as MZL's and still shoot them but beyond that, I have not seen another outside of a gun store. I hunt with a lot of different people in many places so it really does surprise me that I have not run across one elsewhere with all of the endorsements that we see for them. I see numerous #1's, H&Rs, CVAs, and even a couple of European single shots in hunting camps but no TCs. Maybe they are more popular in other areas but they are very reclusive in the south.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I am going to have to disagree with you a bit here. I think having a single shot forces a hunter to pick his shots more and be more cautious.

I hunt with an Encore pistol in .30/06 as my primary hunting weapon. I have to slow down & pick my shots. More people do that and there would be more one shot kills. Too many people (notice I did not say all) simply pray & spray.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Right on!

Couple or three decades ago, a former friend gushingly volunteered that hunting with a single-shot was "more sporting" than hunting with a repeater. I'd heard that silly rationale before, and though I love single-shots as much as he does, I told him not to try to sell me that garbage.

"Nobody owes it to an animal to kill it � unless you've pushed a bullet or an arrow into it and it doesn't die right away. Then you owe it to that animal to kill it as quickly as possible."

For years, I idolized a famous big-game hunter whom we don't hear anything about these days (appropriately). Had and cherished several of his books. Then I went (1955, 1956) to one of his lectures where he showed and narrated movies of his hunts. All was good � better than good � until he came to his leopard hunt.

He'd tethered a goat to a tree as bait for a leopard. He waited in a blind, Weatherby ready. A leopard came slinking to the tethered goat, which was making the expected motions and sounds of abject terror. Then the Mighty Hunter boasted of his cleverness.

He intentionally gut-shot the leopard to see what it'd do. As a south Alabama fox-hunter so eloquently put it later, "quicker'n seven gods can skin a minute," the leopard savaged the goat. The Mighty Hunter thought that that was funny. Let it go on for a while. Let the leopard kill the goat before he shot the leopard dead.

I didn't think that that was either clever or funny. I still don't. Threw his books away and never bought another � certainly not one of the signed copies that he was peddling at the lecture hall.

I take it you aren't willing to say who the big game hunter in question was? I'm just wondering because I have Wally Taber books and he was a Weatherby guy and an African hunter in the 50's and a big hunter/lecturer. Is he the guy?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I had to gun hunt with an Encore I'd take up bow hunting.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As someone once told me, if you are going to carry more than one cartridge in the field with you they might as well be in a magazine.

Makes sense to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There's a reason God gave us repeaters. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

I take it you aren't willing to say who the big game hunter in question was? I'm just wondering because I have Wally Taber books and he was a Weatherby guy and an African hunter in the 50's and a big hunter/lecturer. Is he the guy?

� You take it right. If I were gonna say, I'd've said.
� No, it wasn't Wally Taber.
� I knew Wally and could but won't tell you a thing or two (far less despicable) that you wouldn't like.
Enjoy his books.

"Good enough" isn't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

• You take it right. If I were gonna say, I'd've said.
• No, it wasn't Wally Taber.

• I knew Wally and could but won't tell you a thing or two (far less despicable) that you wouldn't like.
Enjoy his books.

Sir Ken:

Truly you are a CLASS act.

Salute!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
� Sir Ken:

Truly you are a CLASS act.

Salute!!

Thanks, but I haven't been knighted.

Consider benighted.

"Good enough" isn't.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
for those who don't like to see them on the shows TC is paying for I have a real simple solution: give up sitting on the couch watching animal snuff-flic informercials and go out and do something real with your time.

+1...If a guy's watching so much TV they got their panties in a wad over who's paying for it they're spending way too much time on the couch. Besides TV only exists to sell advertising. No advertising, no hunting show.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The *&^%$#@! deterioration in my physical condition condemns me to my recliner and solo hours of TV and computer, yet I'm not so far gone that I have no alternative but to watch hunting shows. If there's nothing on that I want to watch, there's a very convenient OFF button on my remote.

Watching any sport, on-scene or on live or recorded TV, is about as alluring as watching somebody else copulating � eons more fun to do than to watch.

Just sitting (which is my only physical option) and remembering, thinking, or napping is infinitely more enjoyable and rewarding than watching somebody else perpetrating an ersatz "hunt."

Just MHO �

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.