Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
salasj Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Question I picked up my new Rifle that is a Ruger M-77 264 Winchester Magnum 26" Shilen barrel 1-9 twist. Can I fire the loads I developed in my other 264 in this one. I chamber the loads and they feed smooth. Do I have to start low and work up again to see how they do in this rifle?

HR IC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How close to max are your other loads? If you are pushing it I'd back off with a new rifle.

When in doubt, start low.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Strong new rifle from a reputable maker, I'd bang away assuming your loads are within the parameters of your load books. Don't expect it to be the same in the accuracy department but then you never can tell til you try.

Aim for the exit hole.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by salasj
Do I have to start low and work up again to see how they do in this rifle?

Yeah I would if I were you.

Also... if you neck size only you might not be able to chamber the cases in the old rifle after being fired in the new... MIGHT not...

can't tell anything till you try, but yeah I would definitely work up.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It is NEVER wrong to start low and build a load. Absolutely NEVER!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
It is NEVER wrong to start low and build a load. Absolutely NEVER!

That advise is as good as it gets.

NRA Lifetime Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I shoot handloads developed for one rifle in other rifles all the time. Then again, I never try to get the absolute last 50 or 100 fps velocity supposedly possible by judging "pressure signs." Instead I pretty much stick to published data, or of that's lacking a velocity that fits in the parameters of published data.

The few exceptions are when published data are pretty wimpy, as with .257 Roberts non-+P loads. One of my favorite loads in the .257 is the 115-grain Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip and 45.0 grains of H4350. This is two grains over Hodgdon's non-+P data but I've yet to see it produce the slightest sign of excessive pressure in several rifles. Muzzle velocity is usually about 2900 fps, depending on barrel length.

A couple years ago I was doing an article on pump-action rifles, and one of the rifles was a Remington 760 .270. I had a pile of leftover handloads on the shelf from other .270 projects so decided to fire them in the 760. The powder charges were mostly listed maximums, or close to it, from various manuals or websites. The cases of only one load even slightly stuck after being fired--and I suspect the problkem there wasn't excessive pressure but cases that had been fired several times and lost their spring.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question I picked up my new Rifle that is a Ruger M-77 264 Winchester Magnum 26" Shilen barrel 1-9 twist. Can I fire the loads I developed in my other 264 in this one. I chamber the loads and they feed smooth. Do I have to start low and work up again to see how they do in this rifle?

It depends on how Standard/SAMMI you load.

If you vary your COL to load close to the lands... then just don't do it.

Best thing is to load for the rifle... That is what I do

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I shoot handloads developed for one rifle in other rifles all the time. Then again, I never try to get the absolute last 50 or 100 fps velocity supposedly possible by judging "pressure signs." Instead I pretty much stick to published data, or of that's lacking a velocity that fits in the parameters of published data.

The few exceptions are when published data are pretty wimpy, as with .257 Roberts non-+P loads. One of my favorite loads in the .257 is the 115-grain Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip and 45.0 grains of H4350. This is two grains over Hodgdon's non-+P data but I've yet to see it produce the slightest sign of excessive pressure in several rifles. Muzzle velocity is usually about 2900 fps, depending on barrel length.

A couple years ago I was doing an article on pump-action rifles, and one of the rifles was a Remington 760 .270. I had a pile of leftover handloads on the shelf from other .270 projects so decided to fire them in the 760. The powder charges were mostly listed maximums, or close to it, from various manuals or websites. The cases of only one load even slightly stuck after being fired--and I suspect the problkem there wasn't excessive pressure but cases that had been fired several times and lost their spring.

Well your bad reloading practices aren't going to affect mine.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Let's see here, we get all chicken little over cartridges that have known components and are being shot in a modern, strong bolt rifle but will go into wally world, pull a box off of the shelf and shoot it without a thought.
When you buy a new box of powder, do you send a sample off to be tested so's you can be sure it is indeed 4350? Can't be too careful you know.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a 264 might be a special case,they are a wee bit touchy about loads.I've had a couple of barrels on mine,the loads I'm running now would easily remove the primer when fired in the first barrel.In second barrel they are ho hum. If it was a 30-06 ,I would say shoot them.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Some 264 Win mags had 1 in 10 twist barrels. That will lower the pressure. What does your fist 264 have? Load 2 rounds at 3 grains less, 2 at 2 less and 2 at 1 less. 6 round to make sure, not a lot of time and effort.

8mmwapiti

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
90 members (308ld, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,439
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.