Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just wondering as I have some 6.5 120`s I bought when I could not get Nozler 120`s at the time.Thanks ahead, Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hornady used to recommend the A-max as a target/deer bullet. I recently looked at some Hornady material and they were no longer recomended for deer. Some folks have used them and like them, and some have used them and hated them. So I don't really know what to tell you.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used the 155 .308 AMAX on deer and it worked just fine.

I am in the process of getting a 6.5 Creedmoor up and running with the 120 AMAX and I will glady whack a deer with it.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
used 75 amax otu of 223 a few times with no flies on it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
never seen one make a deer's day better....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, in the Amax, MY fav is the 140gr in 6.5, the 120/123s may be all the more explosive, higher speed, less lead...

I dropped a buck at 400 yds w/a 105 from a 6BR.

The 123s have been doing deer well from slower rounds like a 6.5 Grendel.

What round you using/how fast are you pushing it, and what is your average shot distance?

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 65BR
FWIW, in the Amax, MY fav is the 140gr in 6.5, the 120/123s may be all the more explosive, higher speed, less lead...

I dropped a buck at 400 yds w/a 105 from a 6BR.

The 123s have been doing deer well from slower rounds like a 6.5 Grendel.

What round you using/how fast are you pushing it, and what is your average shot distance?

I am using a 6.5X55 in a Ruger 77.The spot where I am going to hunt this year will give me shots from a few yards to about 250.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
one of my elk hunting partners has killed 8 bulls with the 208gr A-max out of his 30-338, he loves that bullet. With all the great bullets out there I'm not about to hunt critters with anything that might be suspect. while they might work fine, why hunt big game with a bullet that was designed for targets or for that matter a Varmint bullet.I load some A-max's,Bergers, and even some SMK's but they are for long range rock shooting not hunting.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 308 - 168 Amaxes work well on deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDlv2ODrVk8&feature=plcp

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 250 yds max range there is zero reason to need the extra BC of the AMAX. The 129 gr. Hornady Interlock would be a great choice for your needs.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm going to use the 140 A-Max on deer this year. Don't see how any deer would object from one through the lungs or shoulders.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by selmer
At 250 yds max range there is zero reason to need the extra BC of the AMAX. The 129 gr. Hornady Interlock would be a great choice for your needs.

I realize that,but I have the A-Max`s on hand and they shoot very good in my Rifle.There is no where within 100 miles up here where you can purchase reloading components.I will also carry my BFR 475 and if the deer are within 100 yds plan to use that.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you have them and are comfortable with the accuracy, shoot deer with them.
I did, no problems at all.
Jim
PS 140 A Max out of a 264 WM @ 285 yards. Neck shot. DRT.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jamie
With all the great bullets out there I'm not about to hunt critters with anything that might be suspect. while they might work fine, why hunt big game with a bullet that was designed for targets or for that matter a Varmint bullet.I load some A-max's,Bergers, and even some SMK's but they are for long range rock shooting not hunting.

A- Max's are not Matchkings. They are a lead cored, plastic tip bullet. They are in every way, shape, and form a hunting bullet. They are thin jacketed and so are best in heavy for caliber weights IME, but a 120gr in 6.5mm wouldn't scare me in the least. Just know the bullets performance and use it to your advantage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd avoid shoulder bone with the 120s, but wouldn't leave them at home.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Jamie
With all the great bullets out there I'm not about to hunt critters with anything that might be suspect. while they might work fine, why hunt big game with a bullet that was designed for targets or for that matter a Varmint bullet.I load some A-max's,Bergers, and even some SMK's but they are for long range rock shooting not hunting.

A- Max's are not Matchkings. They are a lead cored, plastic tip bullet. They are in every way, shape, and form a hunting bullet. They are thin jacketed and so are best in heavy for caliber weights IME, but a 120gr in 6.5mm wouldn't scare me in the least. Just know the bullets performance and use it to your advantage.
well damn matchking arent lead cored ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything that puts a hole through the heart or lungs will kill anything, even a FMJ, arrow, spear or knife. I've had no problem getting MOA or even in many cases, half-MOA, with hunting bullets from my rifles so I see no need to worry about using a match bullet. Just my opinion and you are welcome to yours.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
Anything that puts a hole through the heart or lungs will kill anything, even a FMJ, arrow, spear or knife. I've had no problem getting MOA or even in many cases, half-MOA, with hunting bullets from my rifles so I see no need to worry about using a match bullet. Just my opinion and you are welcome to yours.
well hell I accually agree with a guy from calif. laugh

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If A-maxes are good why are Ballistic tips, SST's, and Accubonds thought of in such poor light? Ain't they all lead core plactic tipped bullets?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lonerider
If A-maxes are good why are Ballistic tips, SST's, and Accubonds thought of in such poor light? Ain't they all lead core plactic tipped bullets?

Well, they're not thought of in poor light by everybody, or they wouldn't sell any...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.