Leica Sport Optics.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6814594 - 08/27/12 04:26 PM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: boomtube]
Plinker Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Mojave Desert
You can load one in the chamber and one in the tube if you are worried about using pointed bullets.

Quote:
I believe it is a Mike Venterino book where he points out the Marlin 1881 in 45-70 failed in military testing due to detonations in the tube. I believe they were using round nose bullets.

Remington 30-30 ammo is round nose. Never had one detonate a round in front of it in any of my guns.

Somewhere in my pile of gun books, I have one article where tubular magazine guns were put through a drop test. Pointed soft point ammo was used to see if it was really a problem. When dropped from a warehouse roof, one instance caused one round to fire off the primer in the round in front of it. The case simply burst in the tube and no other rounds in the mag detonated.

I don't think two instances indicates a trend.

Tubular magazine accidental discharge

Has there ever been a pointed bullet/magazine tube cartridge detonation ?

#6814726 - 08/27/12 05:08 PM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: Plinker]
Huntz Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: N.E.Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Plinker
You can load one in the chamber and one in the tube if you are worried about using pointed bullets.

Quote:
I believe it is a Mike Venterino book where he points out the Marlin 1881 in 45-70 failed in military testing due to detonations in the tube. I believe they were using round nose bullets.

Remington 30-30 ammo is round nose. Never had one detonate a round in front of it in any of my guns.

Somewhere in my pile of gun books, I have one article where tubular magazine guns were put through a drop test. Pointed soft point ammo was used to see if it was really a problem. When dropped from a warehouse roof, one instance caused one round to fire off the primer in the round in front of it. The case simply burst in the tube and no other rounds in the mag detonated.

I don't think two instances indicates a trend.

Tubular magazine accidental discharge

Has there ever been a pointed bullet/magazine tube cartridge detonation ?

Thanks for the links.

#6826899 - 08/31/12 05:06 AM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: Huntz]
Secret_Squirrel Offline

Loc: Franklin, TN
I just found some 35 Rem for my 336 from Remington. They are pointed. I will have one in the camber and 1 in the magazine. Hopefully I can find some rounded bullets later on, but for right now I will not load more rounds in my gun. Better to go on the side of caution.

#6826931 - 08/31/12 05:17 AM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: Huntz]
AFTERUM Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: CENTRAL FLORIDA
I load those hornady flex tip bullets with the red soft plastic tip (same ones they use in the leverrevolution ammo) in my winchester 30/30. They are very accurate and are no danger in the tubular magazine. Their performance on a doe I shot last year has made me consider using them in some of my bolt action "06's or maybe a 300 mag.

#6845801 - 09/06/12 04:18 AM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: boomtube]
Sherwood Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Lancasster County, Pennsylvani...
I load one in the chamber and one in the magazine for a two shot rifle. Never has handicapped me and is perfectly safe.

This Sierra bullet turns my 30-30 into a 225 yard deer rifle!

Sherwood

#6951181 - 10/08/12 06:13 PM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: Sherwood]
Micro_Groove Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: NC
I have heard of a few folks rebarreling a 336 into 250 Savage and running one in the pipe and one in the mag.

#7058866 - 11/09/12 09:34 AM Re: Using pointed lead tipped bullets in a tube fed Lever action Rifle. [Re: Micro_Groove]
safariman Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: All over the place! missing Af...
Several articels and tests done recently in RIFLE,HANDLOADER and AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazines debunked the idea that pointed bullets were unsafe in tube magazines. As was pointed out above, IF one could get a round to detonate, the lack of confinement in the wide, thin magazine tube caused minimal damage to the rifle and none to the shooter. I am going to run then in my soon to be finished 30/30AI model 94. In a rifle and cartridge that fast, and with the peep and globe sights I will be running, the high BC bullets will make a real difference. Specifically 130gr Barnes TTSX's in this case.

Show me good wood wrapped around a CRF action, chambered in a cartridge that is among the fastest of its caliber, or don't show me at all 'cause you did it all wrong.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 4
Who's Online
540 registered (204guy, 12344mag, 10generation, 18Echo, 1_deuce, 69 invisible), 1101 Guests and 329 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
160 2
Forum Stats
49423 Members
71 Forums
610938 Topics
8732787 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.