Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I posted this in the Talk To Webmaster forum and never got an answer.

Originally Posted by fish head
My firewall is detecting almost constant traffic and my browser at times won't stop downloading ads. Sometimes the webpage will load but at other times it never stops.

It never used to be that way and it's causing high memory usage with chrome (I think). Is it something on my end?

I've been using Chrome but I kept having a problem with the fire and non stop loading of pages, running low on virtual memory and finally Chrome seizing up.

I fixt it. smile I downloaded AdBlock for Chrome and problem solved.

Sorry Rick ... no more ads for me. It just wasn't working with my computer.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been getting the same thing. Bummer, I'm on an iPad and Adblock doesn't support IOS.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm seeing the same.???

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Using Firefox and AdBlock, it did happen to me the other day as well. The icon in the tab above just kept rotating which signifies something trying to load onto the page. I tried a few things but to no avail. What DID work finally was a simple reload of the browser. If you have multiple pages open, close them ALL. Then return to see if the problem persists.

If the ads were static and not dynamic with moving/flashing objects and other animations making them as annoying as Ackley's avatar, they would not be so bad. A few sponsors at the top of each page load, changing as we peruse the site, fine, it's the moving ones that are made to catch one's eye but they also annoy greatly hence we have to use softwares and add-ons to cancel them out of our view.

Banner ads (above each page) rather than side window ones are much easier to tolerate IMO.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

My firewall is detecting almost constant traffic and my browser at times won't stop downloading ads. Sometimes the webpage will load but at other times it never stops.

It never used to be that way and it's causing high memory usage with chrome (I think). Is it something on my end?

I've been using Chrome but I kept having a problem with the fire and non stop loading of pages, running low on virtual memory and finally Chrome seizing up.

I fixt it. smile I downloaded AdBlock for Chrome and problem solved.

Sorry Rick ... no more ads for me. It just wasn't working with my computer.
I had to resort to that a few months ago. Same sort of problem.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd never used adblock and Chrome until a month or so ago when everybody was having the 'back' issue. Hitting back wouldn't do anything, just reload the page with apr.liljit or some such page address. Did this on my laptop, desktop, and now this week started on my work computer. Only issue on 24HCF.

Adblock fixed it for me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I tried uninstalling and reloading Chrome but to no avail.

It's the dynamic ads and not the simple .gif flashy avatars (they're static). Multiple open pages with Chrome will suck memory to a degree but it's constant downloading and updating of ads that's the true culprit of problems with the fire.

I'm not an expert but that's my best understanding of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've been having the same problem for a long time. Sent Rick a PM about it and never got an answer. I don't think that he ever read that PM.

I just log onto the 'fire again whenever that *&^%$#@! happens.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In case anybody is wondering how to get AdBlock for Chrome just go to the Chrome Web Store, scroll down, find AdBlock and click on download. It's free, simple and easy peasy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also having another version of the same problem �

� go into a thread from the main forum, and the main forum terminates behind it.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I've been getting the same thing. Bummer, I'm on an iPad and Adblock doesn't support IOS.

Bob

Try atomic web browser for iOS. It solved that issue for me on the forums here.

Stush
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In case anybody is wondering how to get AdBlock for Chrome just go to the Chrome Web Store, scroll down, find AdBlock and click on download. It's free, simple and easy peasy.

Why am I not finding the download link?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

https://chrome.google.com/webstore#detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom/details

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every browser is a bit different and not every site or ad is tested on every browser, so you are going to experience problems with some ads and with some pages members link to. Lots of people don't like IE, but it's the one browser ever webpage is tested on because 80 to 90 percent of people still use IE. I know because I have looked at the log files for the website where I work.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which among other things hooks into a database listing URLs known to launch malware. Every once in a while Kaspersky pops up a message after blocking some ad from one of those known nasty websites.

If you are running some browser that doesn't connect with your security software you may end up with malware on your computer that you'll only find when you do a full scan. That's just another reason to stick with IE or at least a popular browser.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by EdM

https://chrome.google.com/webstore#detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom/details

That is exactly where I have landed but I do not see a place to click "download"?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have suggested before, that Rick look into paid memberships for the 'fire.
That might allow him to maintain his needed income level, and yet reduce the constant, non stop, and increasing advertising.
I realize that the Campfire is Rick's means of support and income, but there is more than one way to skin a cat (sorry Terry).
If folks leave or stop coming by so often due to aggravation with the advertising and the problems that causes, his income will drop.

Sam......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can't stop the pages from reloading omn my Ipad. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
I can't stop the pages from reloading omn my Ipad. Does anyone know how to fix that?

I installed "Atomic Web Browser" from the app store. I think it we $0.99 and has an ad blocker feature. Stopped the constant page reloading on my iPad.

Stush
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Wow! Adblock just made the 'fire smokin' azzed fast. Nice!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule

I installed "Atomic Web Browser" from the app store. I think it we $0.99 and has an ad blocker feature. Stopped the constant page reloading on my iPad.

I just downloaded the $.99 browser app. Wow! Problem solved. Amazingly fast! Thanks.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.