Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is a Charter Arms Target Bulldog with a 5 inch bbl. When I was at Epps this afternoon, I decided to get one in 44 Special. I've owned more revolvers than autoloaders because I like them better.

I fired too many 9mm handguns in the service - the 9mm is a silly cartridge - and I really don't care for it whatsoever. The 40 S&W doesn't excite me either. I promise that if I ever meet you on a firing line and you're using a 9mm, I'll be sure not to crush your purse. Even a 38 Special is better, as far as that goes. Anyway, enough about girlie man cartridges.

[Linked Image]

While I was there, I looked around for another 45, but couldn't find one that interested me. If it doesn't speak to me, I pass it by.

I had briefly considered a Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum, but could not find a short barreled model and have no desire to wait for one to come in.

For those of you living in the States, ordering firearms of any kind can be a crap shoot when you live here. Will I get it within a few months or will I have to wait forever? Over the years, I've ordered several rifles chambered for standard cartridges that took over a year to arrive or never showed up at all! This was NOT the fault of the shop: Canada seems to be the poor cousin for this sort of thing. There doesn't seem to be a decent ordering/shipping process in place here.

Anyway, Epps has this revolver for $449, so I'll pick one up this week.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have the same revolver with 4'' barrel. Recoil was like a 44 mag until I put a pair of Pachmayr grips on it. it is now much more pleasant to shoot.

"Buy American"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is that a five shot or a six shot, Steve?

Nice looking pistola!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by fishster
I have the same revolver with 4'' barrel. Recoil was like a 44 mag until I put a pair of Pachmayr grips on it. it is now much more pleasant to shoot.

I was thinking about aftermarket grips. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by the_shootist
Is that a five shot or a six shot, Steve?

Nice looking pistola!

It's a five shot. I want to work up some 200 gr. cast loads for it. I've got hundreds of 200 and 240 gr. RNFPs and plenty of different powders - including Trail Boss.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You're welcome Steve. Those pachmayr's made it feel kinda like shooting a 38 special.The factory grips are quite thin and hard.

"Buy American"
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tagged for interest. I've heard various reports on Charter Arms. Apparently they have shed their older reputation for mediocrity. One with a shorter barrel might be a decent for CCW, not that it would be relevant up in The Great White North.

Surely that groove on the barrel lug isn't a tactical rail? shocked

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
First, congrats Steve, It looks nice. I hope you enjoy it!
Second,I'll incur some rath, and ask just what about the 9mm is so bad? It does what it was meant to when it was developed?
Not knocking any cartridge here.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of us prefer more cross section and mass. Some of us have not yet experienced the benefit.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My point, if I have a point, is there is a place for most all the various rounds. The .22 short incluled.
If a hole in a piece of paper is the object, how much mass is needed?

My denist shoots a .50 BMG in a single shot rifle. Is that getting close to enough cross section, and mass?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nothing says, "Hit!" quite like a 0.452" hole in a target, paper or otherwise. And I own both a 9mm and a 45 Colt. A 255 grain bullet even at 800 ft/sec will never 'fail to penetrate' a target, in my experience anyway. I carried a 38 Spl because it was issued, and never felt undergunned, and when they issued the Sigarms P229 DAO in 40 S&W, I liked that one too, and preferred it to the 38. The 180 grain bullet at 950 ft/sec spoke quite nicely. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Whatever one likes is the best for them.
Things were a bit slow hereabouts.
Myself, I'd rather be behind, than in front of any of them.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
...My denist shoots a .50 BMG in a single shot rifle...

Sure, but I bet he gets a substantial discount on his denture repair.

Darn it, Steve, you've got me thinking about one, too. And I already have a S&W 625 and 14-3 as well as an STI 1911 and a Webley .455. What I "need"of course is a Triple Lock .44 Special, but the chances of finding, let alone affording one of those is about zilch on a good day with a west wind. Not that "need" has anything to do with it, alas.

smile

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It must have been about 1978 that I last worked on a Charter Arms Bulldog. I was fascinated by the concept of the little pistol and I was only mildly disappointed that the quality was not perhaps as high as I had expected but it was, after all, a Chsrter Arms and not a Smith and Wesson. Still, the pistol shot well and functioned well. The trigger was not real difficult to tune. I think the quality of todays Charter Arms revolvers is better than those of 35 years ago.
Recoil was significant but not unmanageable. The worst thing was the abundance of sharp edges which tended to bite. All fixable, mind you. To me, the real value of a pistol of this type is that it provides a last line of defence when the bear is chewing on your arm and the Bulldog is a great choice for this. Light, compact, and powerful, it is perfect for putting a bullet into Mr. Bruin's ear. GD

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Steve,
Are you going to post some range results. I'm curious what that revolver is capable of, not just group size but what loads are reasonable in that gun.

Last edited by doubletap; 11/14/12.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
.44 special is a great cartridge! I'm betting your gonna be a happy camper!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve
That is a good price as their website list MSRP as 489 us funds.
Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one. I like the feel of it, just the right size and weight for carry. It's my fishing gun. The quality still isn't up there tho. Mine is back right now for a new barrel. The original one had chatter marks all the way through the length of the rifling. It was stripping lead something fierce with hard cast at about 800fps. The front sight was also too high and it shot very low until I filed it down. I hope it is good to go when it gets back, as I said, it is just right for what I need.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

66 members (41rem, bcraig, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 1,053 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,488
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.