Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#7063501 - 11/10/12 06:10 PM Re: Polar Bear [Re: wabigoon]
the_shootist Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW Ontario, Canada
Of course you eat the meat. That's the whole point. wink
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

#7063592 - 11/10/12 06:40 PM Re: Polar Bear [Re: the_shootist]
wabigoon Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Iowa/NW Ontaio
A fellow would need to like the bear. There would be a lot of it.
Ever see a cookbook for polar bear?

#7063707 - 11/10/12 07:12 PM Re: Polar Bear [Re: wabigoon]
Campfire Kahuna

Nope, but I'll just bet you if you cut chops and steaks and roasts and pretended it was black bear when you cooked it, the roast pan, or fry pan or barbeque couldn't tell the difference, and neither could your taste buds. wink
"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

#7064331 - 11/11/12 04:56 AM Re: Polar Bear [Re: the_shootist]
Campfire Guide

A polar bear's diet must be different than the black's.

As you pointed out,your, or my chanches of hunting the white bears is slim to none, shaded strongly tword the none side.
This is largly a mote issue unless we have not alltoghter alienated houston, and he hosts a bearbecque for all of us on his way back south.
Have a favotite sauce for bear?

#7064353 - 11/11/12 05:14 AM Re: Polar Bear [Re: medicman]
boarguy Offline

Loc: ON
Originally Posted By: medicman
I have never hunted polar bears but had an Inuit friend who did. His weapon of choice was a Lee Enfield #4mk2 in the powerful 303 British round. He considered them nuisance animals because they were problematic when food was hard to find. There is a high cost for the hunt but very little of that goes into local economies. I hear Thompson Manitoba is a target rich area in the winter and spring.

No polar bears in Thompson, only black ones. You must be thinking of Churchill, but they're protected there, for everyone, including Inuit.

#7064430 - 11/11/12 05:55 AM Re: Polar Bear [Re: houston]
BC30cal Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Okanagan Falls, BC
houston;
Hopefully this finds you doing acceptably well this crisp and for us - very cold - Remembrance Day morning.

I'll toss in a couple thoughts here before heading up the mountain behind our house to see if I can invite either a young whitetail buck or even better a young bull moose home for dinner.

The first suggestion I'd offer is to have a quick look at the information compiled in this thread. While all of it isn't pertinent to a polar bear hunt, some of it emphatically is.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...ada#Post6042560

As you've read in some of the responses, most of the average Canadians here aren't going to hunt polar bears because of the cost, but a good friend of mine and his late father ran a taxidermy shop that processed several so I can speak to this a bit from that perspective.

The hunts that were conducted by the hunters that brought the hides/skulls to the taxidermy shop were conducted by Inuit hunters. My understanding was that some of the hunts were actually conducted exclusively using dog sled transportation as well - giving the hunter a very realistic adventure.

A guide up here, Jim Shockey, wrote up his polar bear hunt which was done that way and if I can find it again I'll try to get you a link.

As I recall - dimly at best - but as I recall it, Jim and his guide were trapped in a blizzard for a couple days and ended up being very close to running out of food.

I should note from having friends and family that have been up there, even with today's SPOT technology and the like, if it's blowing bad up on the tundra help will not be on the way until it stops. What I'm suggesting here is that even today life could potentially become pretty sporty in a short time on a hunt like that which is part of the allure and the hazard at the same time.

So anyway I believe that if it is an adventure of a lifetime you are looking for, that hunting polar bears in our north with Inuit folks using traditional methods to get around up there would be just that and a fair bit more.

Again on a hunt of this sort, your physical and mental conditioning must be a primary consideration and necessary foundation for a successful hunt.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir, good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your upcoming hunts regardless.

I'd better go see about those dinner invitations now. wink

Regards,
Dwayne

Edited by BC30cal (11/11/12 05:58 AM)
Edit Reason: added info

#7064466 - 11/11/12 06:11 AM Re: Polar Bear [Re: BC30cal]
houston Offline

Loc: S/W Iowa
I will continue my research, thanks Dwayne and a few others that have taken my question for its valu. For the rest of you comedians, keep it coming I can take the funny stuff! :] jeff~

#7065148 - 11/11/12 09:52 AM Re: Polar Bear [Re: houston]
Campfire Kahuna

Some of the stuff I have said in jest was not really in jest, houston. Hope you enjoy your hunt and that the US |Customs doesn't throw a wet towel on trying to get the hide back home.

Brother Keith

#7065429 - 11/11/12 11:35 AM Re: Polar Bear [Re: wabigoon]
medicman Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: wabigoon
So Randy, would you eat the polar bear meat? They seem to be more of a carnivore.

Yes, just not the liver.
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff

#7065617 - 11/11/12 12:55 PM Re: Polar Bear [Re: medicman]
Campfire Guide

Who'da thunk it? When I first loged on this forum, I did not dream someday I would be discussing eating polar bear liver.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
782 registered (1100mag, 16penny, 12344mag, 1899sav, 81 invisible), 1889 Guests and 324 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50833 Members
72 Forums
642178 Topics
9221658 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.