CLICK HERE for CARTRIDGE-SPECIFIC RIFLESCOPE TECHNOLOGY from NIKON!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7052801 - 11/08/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: LeonHitchcox]
kk alaska Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Eagle River Alaska
I found out it is not a heavy Browning BPS 12 gauge would prefer a LW 20 gauge and LH. Throw out your ideas? I like the Benelli Montefeltro if it was made in LH and 20 gauge.

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists

RV 728 BP
#7054253 - 11/08/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: kk alaska]
bgold Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Missouri
Nothing is as heavy as a BPS. I love 'em but hate to carry 'em...

#7055436 - 11/08/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: kk alaska]
LeonHitchcox Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Pikeville, TN
The Ithaca has bottom ejection and a left hand safety.

#7055634 - 11/08/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: kk alaska]
JOG Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: kk alaska
I like the Benelli Montefeltro if it was made in LH and 20 gauge.

The safety and cast can be switched to lefty. The ejection port is still wrong, but that's never bothered me.

#7055671 - 11/08/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: RipSnort]
jimdgc Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North TX
I shoot a Browning Citori 16 ga. and a Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga. The Citori with choke tubes is tough to beat. More open for the start of the season and tighter for late season. You can't beat Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's and #6's.

Edited by jimdgc (11/08/12)

#7056439 - 11/08/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: gnoahhh]
FieldGrade Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Idaho, Clearwater County.
Originally Posted By: gnoahhh
Nowadays, I rely on an LC Smith in one form or another for all of my gunning needs, and wish that I had discovered the virtues of a Smith gun in 12 or 16 gauge for pheasants much earlier in my life!

Wise man.
I and Steve Bodio (author of Good Guns) agree with you whole hartedly.

#7057569 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: FieldGrade]
Boyd45 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Louisiana
Got to agree with several other posts. A good, well fitting SXS, 12 ga or 16 ga probably choked I/C and Improved Modified.
Two triggers, extractors, # 6 shot (and a few # 5s to buck the wind).

#7057604 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: Boyd45]
Allen917 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: East Texas
I see a lot of good choices posted here! My favorite for pheasant is a 12 ga. Winchester 23 XTR SxS. It's choked Mod/Full, and loaded with #6 it works just great. If I'm in a 16 ga mood, I grab the Ithaca 37 with a Poly choke.

#7057768 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: Allen917]
lundtroller Offline
Campfire Regular

I've carried a bunch over the years.

I shot my first rooster with a full choked 12 ga Model 12. Since then I have carried/tried a 20 ga Browning B-2000, Sweet 16 Auto-5, 16 ga Winchester 24 SxS, 20 ga Winchester 21 SxS, 20 ga Beretta 626 Onyx SxS, Model 12 16 ga, Browning 12 ga Double Auto "Twelvette", Browning 12 ga Double Auto "Twentyweight", and finally a Benelli 20 ga Montefeltro.

To each his own, but here are a few of my observations... 1. There is no perfect gun for all hunting applications, even when limited to just pheasant hunting over dogs 2. Stick with one or two and over time they will become a "natural" extension of your body and you will become a more effective/efficient shot 3. If you are going to shoot a pump or a double triggered gun, stick with "like" guns if you want to consistently kill your birds and not cuss alot 4. Bigger is not always better 5. Seemingly "light" guns get a lot heavier as you get older and "real light" 20's become "just right" and 6. "Gas operated" guns are nice until they get real dirty, fail to eject reliably, and you have to clean them at an inconvenient time (which to me is all of the time!)

With that said, the Model 21 is awful classy, the Browning Double Autos make nice light, reliable 12 gauge field guns, the Browning B2000 20 should have been more popular than it was (much nicer gun in my opinion than the Beretta gas guns) , BUT the Benelli Montefeltro 20 (and I am sure the new ultra light 12's are nice too!) is by far my favorite upland game bird gun, especially when hunting behind dogs!!!

The Benelli "Monte" 20 is light as a feather, ultra reliable and mechanically operated, points effortlessly , carries like a dream all day long, and kills with deadly efficiency when the "Bird Gods" smile down on you and the birds start coming up in 2's, 3's, and 4's (at least in good old Kansas!!!)

Good luck in your quest!!!

#7058483 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: lundtroller]
Boyd45 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Louisiana
OK-hunting in KANSAS? Go with the pump or an autoloader, and fill the damn thing. Never saw so many pheasants in my life.

#7058652 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: lundtroller]
JOG Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Lundtroller, We have similar tastes in shotguns. I used a Twelvette for almost 40-years, but eventually had to phase it out due to steel shot requirements in many areas I hunt. I plan on having Mike Orlen install a steel-compatible tube in the Twelvette, but until then I'll suffer the Benelli UL. wink

The Montefeltro is a great option as well. The 20-gauge version is sweet, but I can't shake the utility of the 12-gauge for pheasants in all conditions (even if it's just in my head). When I decided on the UL the Montefeltro was a close second place.

I picked up an M2 for my son this year. He's more techno than me and likes the composite/ComforTech style. I have a son-in-law that's new to hunting over the last couple years that's been using my BPS - a nice safe gun for a newbie. Maybe I'll go for the Benelli trifecta and pick up a Montefeltro for him. whistle

#7058966 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: RipSnort]
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: NW NV & Far NW MT
Simson 76E 28" M/F 16ga loaded with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 1 1/8oz #5 nickel plated shot...

The engraver thought so, too. wink

#7058981 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: FieldGrade]
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted By: FieldGrade
Nowadays, I rely on an LC Smith in one form or another for all of my gunning needs, and wish that I had discovered the virtues of a Smith gun in 12 or 16 gauge for pheasants much earlier in my life!

Wise man.

N I C E !!! cool cool

A good friend shoots his with a 16ga Ideal Grade he scored for a good price a while back. I keep trying to steal his Smith, but he is pretty proud of it, understandably. wink These are the Classic American pheasant gun, IMO.

#7059037 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: JOG]
lundtroller Offline
Campfire Regular

JOG,

I understand your sentiments re: versatility of the 12 ga.

I bought a nice used left handed Montefeltro 12 ga for my son because they didn't offer the 20 in a left handed version and while it is still a very nice, relatively light gun, there is really no comparison in mind. I just really like ultra light guns that swing and point nicely! I am obviously older, heavier, have slower reflexes and poorer eyes now than my 17 year old son, but I still get on the birds faster and kill more than he does... still the alpha male in the house for a few more years I guess!!!

If I didn't still have the Browning Double Autos, I would probably own one of the Benelli UL 12's like yours. I've held a few and they feel real nice! I just don't hunt waterfowl much any more so the steel shot thing doesn't really affect me with the old Brownings.

One other advantage in my eyes is the Montefeltro's field rib which I prefer to the tapered or trap style ribs on the M1's, M2's, SBE's, and I believe your UL. I know others prefer just the opposite! Good thing we have choices!!!

#7059247 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: lundtroller]
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I can't see where non-toxic shot is any problem hunting pheasant. The limits are what...2-4 birds/day? How much shooting is involved? There is plenty of good non-toxic ammo for older guns around, albeit expensive. The cost means the hunter would probably forgo the marginal shots that often cripple birds. wink

#7059469 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: luv2safari]
JOG Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, let's go to the blackboard:

A. I can buy non-toxic shotshells.

Or...

B. I can buy another shotgun.

wink

#7059585 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: JOG]
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna

LMAO...

I can see the reasoning. shocked

Hey! I "need" another shotgun. laugh

#7059586 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: luv2safari]
FieldGrade Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: luv2safari
Originally Posted By: FieldGrade

Wise man.

N I C E !!! cool cool

A good friend shoots his with a 16ga Ideal Grade he scored for a good price a while back. I keep trying to steal his Smith, but he is pretty proud of it, understandably. wink These are the Classic American pheasant gun, IMO.

Thanks. I've owned her for forty years now.
Unfortunatly, being the cowboy I was and not knowing any better, I shot some steel through it when the crap first came out. Put a few pretty nasty pimples in the barrels. I still hunt with it now and again, but worrying about it all day kinda wears on me.
I bought my Rizzini 16 shortly after that stunt. Haven't regretted it for a minute, but I still love that old Elsie.

#7059646 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: FieldGrade]
luv2safari Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I have an older Robust #4 16 that has bores rough as where the county road crew left off after quitting time on a Friday.

Thing is, it shoots great and patterns everything well. Go shoot Elsie. wink

#7059910 - 11/09/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: luv2safari]
FieldGrade Offline
Campfire Guide

Oh,,, it stil shoots good but the metal's pretty thin at a few of those pimples.
It'll probably never let go, but still, I have visions of pulling a trigger and ending up looking like Elmer Fud after another failed attemp at shooting that Waskelly Wabbit or Willy Coyotee after firing his new Acme shotgun.

#7064624 - 11/11/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: FieldGrade]
JOG Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

I used a fine 16-gauge double yesterday hunting in an all-day rain. I had to set it in the mud a number of times for the usual dead bird and dog handling tasks, but I just wiped the metal on my pant legs and carried on.

Actually I could never do that - the abused gun was a Benelli. wink

#7064668 - 11/11/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: JOG]
shrapnel Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Bozeman, MT

I get a bit weary of some of the uppity people that hunt Pheasant. I must admit, though my favorite gun is a Webley 12 gauge SXS with 2 1/2 inch chambers...

If you want to fit in with a new crowd, ask them if they know shrapnel. There is no friggin' way they won't know who that man is. He is the Chuck Norris of Montana and you will have a nice icebreaker to discuss.
Travis

#7064854 - 11/11/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: Boyd45]
Cheesy Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: SW Missouri
Originally Posted By: Boyd45
OK-hunting in KANSAS? Go with the pump or an autoloader, and fill the damn thing. Never saw so many pheasants in my life.

You must not have hunted there for the opener yesterday or last year. smile

Never seen it so bad as it was yesterday, 30mph winds, gusts to 50, dust bowl conditions. Most of the CRP had either been baled or grazed due to the drought, very very few birds. I'd have been better off carrying a Red Ryder BB gun, its a lot lighter to carry and just as effective when you never have to shoulder it. smile

#7065064 - 11/11/12 Re: Your ideal pheasant gun ??? [Re: Cheesy]
stantdm Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: South Dakota
I like the Citori 16ga. o/u with choke tubes and a Winchester model 23 sxs 12 ga. Those two have taken a lot of birds over the years. I have had a few others and as long as the gun is under six and half pounds its okay for the uplands.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
132 registered (37L1, 35, 224th, 270wsmnutt, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 498 Guests and 267 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,478 Registered Members
72 Forums
692,445 Topics
10,004,965 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.