Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So Im looking at getting into flyfishing. Ive never attempted to fly fish. I've never even held a fly rod before.

Whats a good starter pole, and assorted stuffs that I'll need.

Honestly I have so many questions. How does one know what "fly" to use? Whats all this talk about "dry flies".

I think I need a fly mentor....anyone need a protege?

GB2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll take a stab at this for you. I have been fly fishing for around 40 years so might have an idea or two that'll help.I live in Alberta so being a mentor could be a challenge for me lol

I assume that being in Wyoming you will be looking at trout.
I have found that a good all around rod is an 6wt 8-9 feet long.
Next add a reel with a decent drag system that will hold 100 yards of backing plus your fly line. A weight forward line would be my choice. There are a number of top notch companies which sell starter sets, Orvis, Scientific Anglers, Redington all come to mind.
A fly shop would be the place to pick this stuff up as the staff should be knowlegable. If you have a local fly club that would be a great place to hang out as well. Lots of clubs host begineer classes.
Generally speaking flies are broken down into these classes:
Dry flies are designed to float, generally they imitate adult insects that have hatched.
Wet flies are fished under the surface and imitate immature or hatching insects. Can also imitate adults that are egg laying or have drowned.
Nymphs are immature insects.
Streamers imitate minnows or fry.
Be careful you don't get talked into buying stuff you don't need, you can end up with a wack of gadgets, but then again I have have a wack of gadgets so.....Welcome to a lifelong addiction.
Hope some of this helps. It is a fun way to fish.

Last edited by troutfly; 11/07/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just started a couple years ago myself, so I'm not qualified to hand out any technical advice, but I will second troutfly's recomendation of a starter set.
I was pretty much confusing myself untill a trusted friend steered me to one of Reddingtons packages, and although I learned a long time ago to never say never, I really don't think I'll ever "need" to upgrade.
Course, there's always that "want/need" thing, but so far I'm enjoying myself and catching fish and that's good enough for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I just started a couple years ago myself, so I'm not qualified to hand out any technical advice, but I will second troutfly's recomendation of a starter set.
I was pretty much confusing myself untill a trusted friend steered me to one of Reddingtons packages, and although I learned a long time ago to never say never, I really don't think I'll ever "need" to upgrade.
Course, there's always that "want/need" thing, but so far I'm enjoying myself and catching fish and that's good enough for me.

In the case of fly fishing, The want/need thing doesn't exist! They are all needs! LOL
Seriously though, I have heard good stuff about the Reddington starter sets. All the starter sets by the "Name" companies are built around a rod/reel/line correctly matched to each other as well as species of fish to a certain degree. Just add flies, water and fish, a couple lessons and you'll never look back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First, what fish will you target? Being in Wyoming, a good assumption is trout, but maybe you're after Northerns? Bass? Panfish?

Secondly, where will you be fishing - tiny streams, big rivers, ponds or lakes? All of the above?

Third, what's your budget? If you plan on wading, do you already have waders/boots?

Talk to local resources, whether they be a fly shop, or a fly club. Failing that, there are a number of forums that are more specific to fly fishing than the Campfire. Find some means of getting local information.

No matter what, I strongly recommend getting a casting lesson from an FFF certified instructor, if possible. I also recommmend purchasing the Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting DVD. Better to not get bad habits, than to try and get rid of them later (&*%$!!!! tailing loops.....)

Scott

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Scott made an excellent suggestion as did the others..but to me getting instruction from an instructor would be pretty important..I learned to fly fish on my own, and my casting needs attention..I have very poor form..BUT after fishing this way for almost 60 years it is about impossible for me to change..Plus what Scott said about where and what you will fish for is very important..Laramie has lots of plains lakes with ample trout..here a longer rod 8.5 to 9 foot is great.., but for small stream fishing it is much too long..7.5 -8' is about right..I buy all my flies right now..gave many of my rods and fly tying stuff to kids I had in class..Personally, I love the old Fenwick Fenglass fly rods..I have about 5 of them..but the newer materials cast farther easier..but to me lack the action of the older rods..after fishing all these years, my favorite is small stream fishing..You will find in the summer the green horde will take over all good lakes, rivers and streams..so if solitude is you thing, the smaller the stream the better, but the fish will be small..As for flies, one needs fewer than most believe..but remember, I am a hunter not a die hard fisher man..
Renegades, grey hackle Peacocks, pheasant tailed beadheaded nymphs, elk hair caddis, pale morning duns, and a few wooly buggers are my main flies..I have used them in Wy. Idaho, and Montana and they work fine most places..at times it is fine to get flies that work well on local streams or rivers, but these seem to do well where ever we have trout..

Molon Labe
J
JWP58 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I figured just small streams and small lakes, as well as the Platte.

I kinda just see it as something I could do when Im not hunting while camping in the mountains.

Although a cast and blast trip would be fun.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll start looking for starter kits and maybe a book or two on Fly fishing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troutfly

In the case of fly fishing, The want/need thing doesn't exist! They are all needs! LOL

LOL,,, Amen brother.
Course, that's true with all my pations. ;>)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Talk to local resources, whether they be a fly shop, or a fly club. Failing that, there are a number of forums that are more specific to fly fishing than the Campfire. Find some means of getting local information.

No matter what, I strongly recommend getting a casting lesson from an FFF certified instructor, if possible. I also recommmend purchasing the Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting DVD. Better to not get bad habits, than to try and get rid of them later (&*%$!!!! tailing loops.....)

Scott

I second what Scott says, especially the part about Lefty Kreh. He's amazing. Also more entertaining than the average "how to" film.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many good suggestions above. I would add that many of the starter kits from Cortland, Scientific Anglers ... etc are very good. From what you say about your intentions , I would look at a kit with a 4 pc. fly rod from Cortland. Easy to pack and transport. There are many entry level graphite reels that would suit your purpose. You do not need a reel with a sophisticated drag system for fishing small streams and lakes.

Suggested flies:

Flies Sizes
Dry:
Parachute Adams 14,16,18
Renegade 14,16,18
Red Humpy (Goofus Bug)14,16
Elk Hair Caddis 14,16,18

Nymphs (larva)with or without bead head:
Gold Ribbed Hair's Ear 14,16,18
Pheasant Tail Nymph 14,16,18
Prince Nymph 12,14

Wet Flies:
Wooly Bugger black, olive 8

These are just a few of the bazillion choices there are in flies. Along with many regional variations in style and color. These are some of the flies I am never without. The underlined is the preferred size.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by troutfly

LOL,,, Amen brother.
Course, that's true with all my pations. ;>)

No kidding! I find it applies to my rifles, shotguns, knives, camping gear, Scotch.....no wonder I need to have a truck to get out there LOL
Don't even get me started on my fly tying gear, need, need, need! Gotta love the toys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't got into tie-flying :>) yet, but I know I could have bought another really good truck (to haul even more useless crap that I just gotta have) for what I've spent on hunting reloading gadgets over the years.
Funny thing though. I find that I don't "need" quite so much crap now that I'm on a fixed income. LOL

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
To be honest, the only two aspects of my outdoor activities that now translate into needs are my fly tying and knives, the tying because I will always tie, even when I can no longer get to the river, which I pray is a long time from now and custom knives because you can't have too many good knives.
The other stuff, I am looking at downsizing a bit, haven't told my boys yet as they would raid my stuff LOL

To the OP: as mentioned, decide upon species, water type and fly gear then start looking into effective flies. Its an addiction like no other....well maybe women and good Scotch.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure many of the guys here are much better fly fishermen than me, but my advice would be the single most important thing you can do for success is learn how to tie your tippets. Second would be to learn to tie on your flies. IMO presentation is everything, and if you get this right you'll be forgiven 7 other faults/sins.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I'm sure many of the guys here are much better fly fishermen than me, but my advice would be the single most important thing you can do for success is learn how to tie your tippets. Second would be to learn to tie on your flies. IMO presentation is everything, and if you get this right you'll be forgiven 7 other faults/sins.

Excellent advice!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
After 30 years of trying, my best friend convinced me to try a flyfishing class and it was a great experience. Shortly after that I went to a local flyfishing club meeting- the people were great, presentations were interesting and I ended up winning a casting class with Lefty Kreh. Don't worry - I am an absolute newbie but I bet if you take a little time - you'll find plenty of people willing to help teach you, just like i did. Have fun and welcome to the sport.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JWP58
So Im looking at getting into flyfishing. Ive never attempted to fly fish. I've never even held a fly rod before.

Whats a good starter pole, and assorted stuffs that I'll need.

Honestly I have so many questions. How does one know what "fly" to use? Whats all this talk about "dry flies".

I think I need a fly mentor....anyone need a protege?
I've been thinking of trying the same thing. Keep us update on what you try, and any hints or tips you may think is helpful for someone in your shoes.

NRA Benefactor Member
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
After thinking this over, again the first thing I would do is get into a seminar or fly fishing club and get some basic fly casting instruction..Then I would purchase a beginning outfit..Again I would go for an 8 foot rod with a good double taper floating line..I started with a good 7 1/2 foot rod..I had others before, but this was the first good one..It works super to this day on small water..My next buy was an 8 footer..It is still catching trout, bass, bluegill,etc..Probably my most used rod..I like it so well I bought another off of Ebay...The 8 footer is a bit much for small water and a bit light for big water, but it does ok on both..I went for the double taper because it casts easier on small water, and I can cast almost as far on larger waters with it..
Next I would purchase several dozen flies, good selections have been pointed out..You can fish streamers in lakes and rivers with a long leader and bit of shot..Not perfect, but it will get you fishing..The reason I would NOT get into fly tying is JW is just trying this out..Tying flies is like loading shells, an enjoyable pastime, but something not every fisherman or hunter does.. I love loading shells and hated tying flies..If you are like me a casual fly fisherman, bought flies will work fine..I only fish, when I am not hunting, or as an aside to a hunting trip..If you become a serious fly fisherman, then the investment is worth while..For me it wasn't. I gave all my expensive rods to some kids who loved fly fishing and the same with the tying kit..I happily fish with my old Fenwicks and store bought flies,but only when I am not hunting..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You are quite right, fly tying isn't for everyone. Good quality flies can be bought, either from a shop or a local tier. Selling flies is one way I can afford to buy some extra toys now and again lol.

Find a source of quality flies, a good rod/reel/line, lessons and friends and you are set!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.