Topic Options
#7068441 - 11/12/12 11:54 AM Need help from any law enforcment on here
remingtondude58 Offline

Loc: south east michigan
To anyone on here who is in law enforcement,

I am currently a student in Macomb Community College's law enforcement program. I was hoping you could answer a question for me. What are your thoughts on officers returning to the job after an arrest for operating while intoxicated. If you would be willing, please PM me your thoughts, and also if you would be willing, your name and department. (I assure you that your name and department will be separate from your thoughts on the issue.) Also, if any non-LE people out there would be willing to give me their thoughts, that would be great, but really need the LE.

Thank you!

Matt Spiteri

CI16728
#7070337 - 11/12/12 08:55 PM Re: Need help from any law enforcment on here [Re: remingtondude58]
APDDSN0864 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Alaska/Texas
Matt,

I am a retired police officer with over 26 years in the business. I retired from the Anchorage Police Department,Anchorage, Alaska. I don't have any problem giving you my thoughts here, in an open forum.

Before I answer your questions, please tell me, is the driving while intoxicated alcohol or drug related? Was the offense committed on, or off duty? Was this the first offense? How was the offense first indicated, e.g., erratic driving, a wreck, citizen complaint, etc...?

These things all play a part in my opinion, and what I have observed in my career.

While the law is written in black & white, the reality of enforcing the law is a billion shades of gray. Also, the offense is punishable, but the statutes (or codes) are the determining factor in what the punishment is, not a court of public opinion.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Ed
"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

#7070488 - 11/12/12 11:01 PM Re: Need help from any law enforcment on here [Re: APDDSN0864]
websterparish47 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Northwest corner of Louisiana
Matt,

I'm not LEO, but I can assure you that APDDSN0864 will give you sound, well thought out advice, as he did for me in the past.

Beyond that , When I was young some of my friends were smoking weed. I avoided contact with them and would leave their presence should they light up. I knew that an arrest or even the suggestion (while a student) that I smoked it would keep me out of my chosen profession FOREVER.

One must modify their behavior to meet the demands of their profession. After the event MAY be too late.

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
717 registered (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 96 invisible), 1507 Guests and 306 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51403 Members
72 Forums
652967 Topics
9389433 Posts

Max Online: 4830 @ 12/01/14 06:45 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.