Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hbc01
I need to know the pros on a single shot. I use this forum for many of my research projects before I do any purchasing. Everyone seems very knowledgeable. I watch a guy use a single shot with a live cartridge in his other hand and was able to load just as fast as anyone using a bolt action, at least for me. So, are we using a single shoot because of weight during the hunt. I live in the southwest and backpack hunting is pretty much a must.

You feel the need to fill a nitch for some reason or you wouldn�t have asked. So let�s see what you value as a pro and what is a con. Perhaps you feel like you�re missing out, somehow you need one or to dismiss the idea to be something you feel you�re not.
�I need to know the pros on a single shot.�
� I use this forum for many of my research projects before I do any purchasing.�
Considering there is not enough marketing BS on a single shot rifle for you to see the value of a single shot rifle. Plenty of replies here on the various forms of value everyone here puts on a single shot. What do you value in a firearm? Do you value anything about the single shot rifle? Some like it because it is a causation for better hunting skills or a more deliberate approach to marksmanship. To some the look and feel�
� I watch a guy use a single shot with a live cartridge in his other hand and was able to load just as fast as anyone using a bolt action�
It appears that you value the rate of fire using the bolt action as a measurement standard for effectiveness. So the pros and cons come from what you value. Many folks here can look at or handle a rifle admiring the balance or feel of certain models. The looks or the nostalgia of a single shot might be a pro. For me it�s not just any single shot. I�m not a big fan of a camo T/C, but a Sharps or an 1885 gets the motor running. I love most Ruger Number 1�s and the Coopers out there are pretty sexy. If sexy to you is light weight, multiple rounds in a magazine, sustained rate of fire and you can stuff it in a back pack, there may not be very many pros. What do you value in a gun, and is it found in only one gun or is your taste a bit more complex than, light weight, multiple rounds in a magazine, sustained rate of fire you can stuff it in a back pack, because that�s the only way you hunt and it must be that way?
Most folks here probably have other models they enjoy as well. Lever guns, precision bolt� So what do you see when you look at a single shot?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Armymark; 10/24/12.

Anchorage, Alaska
BP-B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The reason for hunting with a single shot is simply because you want to. Period.

There are no advantages. You CAN'T reload and shoot a second shot as fast. the Army proved that in 18 and 92. And it won't make your shot placement more precise. It will, however, prevent you from getting in a follow-on shot if you wound an animal and make it easier to escape.

So shoot one if you like. That's all.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I adopted the single shot as my primary choice due to my reloading interests. Every time I fire my first shot on paper I want it to hit the point of aim with boring regularity/dependability. It is what I strive for in my loading.

Once I began hunting, that first shot expectation of accuracy on paper led me to pick a single shot. And, it was a Browning 1885.

One shot, one kill is necessary to me as I am a perfectionist. Too, even with a 28" barrel I am still a couple of inches shy of a bolt gun o.a.l..

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Indy

I have to agree. I really enjoy the look and feel of a single shot, but when hunting game that bites back I use a repeater.

I have Remington, Ruger, Ranger, TC and Stevens single shots. I enjoy them all and for diffeering reasons. I have bolt, pump, semi auto and break action rifles that I also enjoy and with wich I hunt.

Diversity breeds interest and I am interested in shooting and hunting.

That is why I like single shots.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt doves with a single shot 12ga. I get just about as many birds, with two thirds less shells!

Sean
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why a single shot? Sometimes I want to hunt a longer range than my recurve will shoot.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why a single shot?

Nothing is classier.... My opinion.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the time I don't even bother putting a second cartridge into the magazine of my bolt actions either.

If I was truly in need of a swift second round, I'd go with a double.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The title reminds me of a story.

A friend of mine who was a guide had a hunter show up to camp one time with a Browning BAR in .300 Winchester mag and enough ammo to start a war.

The hunter spent two weeks hunting elk and expanded almost all of his ammo. The elk were safe. My friend the guide hid the hunter's BAR the night before the hunter's last day to hunt. My friend then loaned the hunter his Ruger #1 in .300 Win mag. and one round. My friend than announced that to day the hunter would get his elk. And the Hunter did get an elk a nice bull.

I asked my friend why the turn around in the hunter's attitude. My friend said one shot, one round settles a man down to concentrating on the job at hand. As long as a man has a repeater and lots of ammo he just shoots. One shot, one round now a man hunts.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I think the single shot deal can do quite a bit to settle one down and get them to focus. I've counted some barrages of 20 to 30 rounds on some of my Wy elk outings. That would have me in my pickup headed to town for more ammo.

I typically carry 3 rds. If that gets expended, then it's time to go back to camp and check zero.

1Minute
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am a bit late weighing in on this subject, but I thought that the words from the very first Ruger No.1 Advertisement in 1967 were instructional as to the question posted by the Poster.
"Why have we built a single shot in this day of self loaders and repeaters? Today's reason for the single-shot is oddly analagous to that which inspired the great single-shot rifles of the 1870's: To produce a more efficient long range rifle. In the '70's, the single shot was the most powerful type because it could digest outsized cartridges. Today, the Ruger Single-Shot can have a 4 1/2" longer barrel than a comparable bolt-action rifle of the same overall length. Accordingly, the Ruger Single-Shot obtains greatly increased velocity from modern magnum cartridges. In addition to this significant ballistic advantage, the Ruger No. 1 Single-Shot combines handsome lines and perfect balance with the luxury of a closely fitted action-- a rifle to appeal to the connoisseur,
Beyond these physical advantages is the challenge of the single shot--which puts to the test the true skill and marksmanship of the hunter who works hard stalking, loves life in the open, and never hunts in a way that takes unfair advantage of the game."

To read the accounts of the day, many thought Bill Ruger had lost his marbles to even contemplate a high quality single shot rifle in 1966! Obviously, it still is not for every hunter, but over 400,000 Ruger No.1 rifles have been made and sold in the last 45 years. the No.1 is all I have used in the last 40!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I will weigh in too, though many good points have been made.

The #1 (or other modern strong variants, like reproduction High Walls) allow one to optimize ballistics for the best possible first shot. Bullet choice and seating can be as desired, magazine length is not a factor. Short overall length, relative to barrel length also improves handling. The actions are brutally strong, capable of taking anything the brass can take.

And yes, they are pretty. grin

[Linked Image]

even if you work with less strong actions, or blackpowder cartridges, the single shot allows one to optimize the load, to whatever is best for the rifle and game at hand. In lightweight actions, like say a T/C Contender, one can have a fairly light rifle, but still have a fairly stout barrel. I also have bolt actions, lever guns, and semi-autos, and all bring their own interesting strengths and weaknesses, but the single shot remains a pure shooting experience.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And yes, they are pretty. grin
[Linked Image]

That one is........ smile

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was going to say I don't always hunt with a single shot but then maybe I do. Often I hunt with a flintlock muzzleloader and mine are all single shots. My combination gun and drillings are all single rifle barreled and my Shiloh Sharps and Ballard need no explanation. So maybe I do always hunt with a single shot rifle. Evidently I prefer them. To my eye, with the possible exception of a full length stock Mannlicher/Schoenaur no repeater is as classy looking as a finely wrought single shot.

Ahhh....I do not always hunt with a single shot. On occasion I carry one of my double rifles or double guns.

Last edited by sharps4590; 11/14/12. Reason: Faulty memory

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tex n cal.

And they can be made even prettier and more desirable!

The #1 is a reliable and flexible platform for a custom rifle project in any caliber. The end product can be as elaborate and stunning as your financial means permit. Or, it can be improved greatly over the factory model with almost no ornamentation but a few relatively minor functional improvements to fit hunters' wants/needs. And you do not need to throw everything but the receiver away.

1B

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by derby_dude
The title reminds me of a story.

A friend of mine who was a guide had a hunter show up to camp one time with a Browning BAR in .300 Winchester mag and enough ammo to start a war.

The hunter spent two weeks hunting elk and expanded almost all of his ammo. The elk were safe. My friend the guide hid the hunter's BAR the night before the hunter's last day to hunt. My friend then loaned the hunter his Ruger #1 in .300 Win mag. and one round. My friend than announced that to day the hunter would get his elk. And the Hunter did get an elk a nice bull.

I asked my friend why the turn around in the hunter's attitude. My friend said one shot, one round settles a man down to concentrating on the job at hand. As long as a man has a repeater and lots of ammo he just shoots. One shot, one round now a man hunts.

Derby_Dude,

I like that story... It about sums up the reasons I hunt with a sgl shot.

To me, How I take a game animal, is far more important than IF I take one at all... AFAIC, the only reason God put horns on a game animal, is so we can tell the difference... grin (Tho' I will admit that pics of a dead doe, or cow elk, arent' all the enjoyable... grin )

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why use a single shot? Just to piss off the guys that insist on needing a 30rd mag or 5 down in a bolt gun just to shoot a deer! smile
P.S. Those No.1's are some of the most elegant rifles ever built.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by hbc01
I need to know the pros on a single shot. I use this forum for many of my research projects before I do any purchasing. Everyone seems very knowledgeable. I watch a guy use a single shot with a live cartridge in his other hand and was able to load just as fast as anyone using a bolt action, at least for me. So, are we using a single shoot because of weight during the hunt. I live in the southwest and backpack hunting is pretty much a must.

For many, the "pros" of a single shot are not technical - they have to do with the state of mind of the person that carries it. Is my Ruger #1 a strong action? Yep! Is the overall length of my rifle with a 26" tube shorter that bolts with 24"? Yep! Maybe even some 22" bolts. But I could care less about those things.

The real pros to me - is my Ruger #1 classy? Darn right! Is it different? Yep. It's satisfying to me shut the falling block on a single round and drop my quarry. It's cool to me when a guy walks by 1/2 dozen bolt guns at the range then pauses at mine and maybe asks, "what caliber you shooting?" Even to see a single shot in a trophy photo is a "pro" to me. I wonder what caliber it is. Did the guy tip toe through the thicks with a 45/70, or did he reach out cross-canyon with a single shot - hunt over! When it comes to carrying a single shot there is probably nothing technical about it you're really going to need, you just have to want the experience.

If you end up carrying a single shot one day and simply love the experience, and not for the weight or anything technical, then you'll understand and perhaps get to use the line a few get to throw out there every now and again when asked, "why in the world would you carry a single shot for hunting?" The simple reply, "if you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer."

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
"if you have to ask the question, you wouldn't understand the answer."

+1 Well said!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
200 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.