24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Hey all, new member here, I picked up a cheap FEG PJK-9HP (Browning Hi Power clone) that needs a sear spring. The guy was in a hard spot needing cash and the handgun was malfunctioning and he didnt have time to mess with it. I know someone that is wanting to buy this off me when I get it fixed but I will not sell it in its current condition, as the sear spring is bad and is causing multiple rounds to fire with one pull of trigger.

Numrich is out of stock for the FEG but has the browning sear spring w/ button (im assuming thats what I need)

Does anyone know if that one will work?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes the Browning sear spring will work, but I'm not fully convinced that is all that's wrong.

Sear springs tend to weaken on ALL Browning Hi Powers, that�s normal. When they do, the hammer will drop to half cock if you were to drop it on an empty chamber. With a worn sear spring the gun should function 100% reliably with no hammer follow through, or doubling. If the gun is doubling, then there�s a 99.99% chance that someone has tried to do a home trigger job and buggered the whole mess up. A gunsmith who knows Hi Powers may be able to re-cut the sear & hammer surfaces; but if they�re really bad, the hammer, sear or both may need to be replaced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Unfortunately, parts for the Hi Power are rather pricey. You may want to sell the gun off cheap to someone who�s willing to repair the gun. If the hammer, sear, and sear spring need to be replaced; that could be a good $100.00 in parts alone, and probably another $75.00-$100.00 in labor depending on what needs to be done. Since the FEG�s go for anywhere between $250-$350, that doesn�t leave much room.

R
OP Offline
R
Im not worried about cost, as I am only into it for $40. I have a gunsmith willing to walk me through the steps for free as long as I provide parts.

I will try to get some pictures of the sear and such later on.

Last edited by RustBuck; 11/14/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You really shouldn't have to deal with anything beyond the sear, hammer, and sear spring. There is a small chance that a change in hammer/sear may force you to fit a new safety; but often the existing safety will work.

Hi Power replacement parts are available, but they are expensive. I think you may find that it's about the same cost or only slightly higher to replace your hammer and sear with Cylinder & Slide parts. C&S make honest to goodness first rate hammers and sears. They make the very custom looking skeleton hammer, or the more factory looking round style hammer. It wouldn't cost much more to put the C&S parts in, and should increase your re-sale value. If you�re looking to sell the FEG, please send me a PM; I may be interested. If I were to buy it, I would much rather install the parts myself. And I don�t care what you paid for it, if I�m interested I will offer what it�s worth to me and I�m rather delighted if you make a killing in the process; everyone wins.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the info again.

I did some looking into the pistol, sorry no pics yet, been busy, and pulled the sear spring out, very simple to do. To test the sear spring since it was suspect, I bent it out a little as to apply more pressure to the sear and it helped A LOT. Now the hammer does not fully drop, it hits half cock and stops, and beating it on the table didn't drop it like before either. So the sear spring is def my problem.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to hear it; best of luck to you sir.

R
OP Offline
R
I just got the sear spring in today, and I see the difference, (I ordered this spring, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/410601/browning-sear-spring-with-button-hi-power

It has a curve in the middle on the 2 cutouts that wouldn't sit on my gun, so I took a pair of pliers and flattened that out and sat the 2 springs side by side, the old spring is almost flat, the new one is at about a 45 deg angle lol. HUGE difference, the hammer does not drop AT ALL now, and trigger is alot crisper. Recoil spring seems weak and since a service kit was 13 bucks I ordered a wolff spring kit. hopefully ill get it this week and get it installed by this weekend.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,155 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.