Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by jac3k
If your going to shoot deer with a subsonic 300 loads, invest in some good tracking dogs...

Or better yet actually know WTF you are talking about and do it right, and don't require a dog. Using right bullet, right placement, subsonic is no different than supersonic. Period.

I often wonder how some folks don't find deer if they don't bang flop every time......FWIW everytime I've used my lab to help find a deer, its been by supersonic loads.... once a 223, once a 7 stw, and once an 06....

Subsonic loads do not kill as well, it doesn't matter what you fairy tale you want to tell yourself, or how much you wish the laws of physics did not exist. Supersonic loads kill better on any similar shot-- period. We can can shoot unlimited deer here in my area, and I used a 300 Whisper extensively for years, and I can shoot. If you think sub sonic loads kill as well, see if you feel the same way after you shoot 100+ deer with sub sonic loads. They will kill for sure, but not consistently and reliably.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dead is dead.

You can get into arguments on bang flops vs running off.

We could debate that they all die at the same speed vs how fast or far they bleed vs how scared or suprised they are.

It can go on forever. One can easily argue that supersonic does more damage because it probably frags more. More damage is bled out quicker.

OTOH I shot one the other day with a slow but not subsonic bullet. Deer lived about as long as the ones I've shot with 308s and 300s time wise. But he wasnt' nearly spooked, and only decided to make a last run because he was getting wobbly. You could argue though, had it been a loud blast he'd have run the whole time.. bleeding quicker due to elevated heart rate and BP.

Bottom line here, I"ve shot not 100 deer subsonic, but probably about 15 or so. And not with a can or fancy stuff. but with a 45 acp and 44 special. They run off and die like almost every other deer I've shot with supersonic.

There is no magic when you break the sound barrier. After all that can be just 1 fps faster than sub....

I will agree though, that seemingly the faster the bullet goes, and the more frangible it is, when shot not into a CNS spot or major bones. IE ribs hitting both lungs, the faster it goes the more the odds are of bang flops.

Being a bowhunter for many years with over 100 bowkills(all subsonic, grins), I expect the deer to run when I shoot unless I'm head shooting(rifle). You go find em no big deal. If you need a bang flop, then CNS is where I shoot or I don't shoot at all.

Where we are talking here is a difference between supersonic and sub with an AAC vs something like the x39 round, there will never be enough difference to me, to make it worth worrying about. The difference to be seen will be the subsonic vs a 257 wtby or such. Even then, my buddy has yet to see a bang flop with the 257, but none have gone more than about 30-50 yards ever.

The only reason to use subsonic is a noise issue. If thats your case, then pick the right setup and projectile, know your limits and stay within those bounds and then know that inside those bounds those deer/pigs will be as dead as any supersonic round ever will be average wise.

The only deer I've seen survive a centerfire rifle shot was a double lunged buck shot with 06 and 165 SGKs at about 125 yards.... thats definitely supersonic.

If I had a choice though and noise was not an issue, then why limit myself to a round that can't perform at the distances I can. So when noise is not an issue, I'm rarely carrying anything thats not effective in the wind, out to around 600 plus yards or so. Unless I"m feeling froggy and decide to take the 1911, or the slow levers, or my MZs and such.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
220gr+ 30 cal bullets are not designed to upset in game at subsonic speeds. You can't compare 45-70 flat lbt style or jacketed bullets for that cartridge to a 208gr amax subsonic. You certainly can't compare that to the way an arrow kills. There is a company that manufactures bullets to operate at subsonic speeds.

"The world breaks everyone,and afterward, some are strong at the broken places"
Hemingway
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, just what I've been saying , you pick and choose for what you are doing. There are LEhigh bullets to expand and one more that I can't think of right now.

The ones that expand do their job just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm all in with the 300 blk. Building an upper. Got 1000 cases so far. I'm sticking with 3 bullets - light Sierra's made for the round, Barnes made for the round for hunting, and 220 Sierra's to go subsonic. Got my name on an in-stock 7.62SDN6 and have 6 total blackout brake/flashiders for both 223's and 308's.

Have a schittload of H110 for my big bore revolvers, so I'm good on powder for awhile.

Can't wait to try out subsonic with a can, but I'll probably be waiting about 6 months.

The ease of switching from supersonic to subsonic and vice-versa is what attracted me. And I don't think the Barnes bullet will have any problem killing deer at the ranges I hunt.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Folks been killing deer with small round balls for years. With little to no frags, and not much expansion typically...

I'm about tired of listening to all the naysayers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Folks been killing deer with small round balls for years. With little to no frags, and not much expansion typically...

I'm about tired of listening to all the naysayers.

Yea. They ain't that hard to kill.........especially our little west Texas Whitetails.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When you see em live with an 06 round through both lungs, you realize some aren't going to die regardless. And then when you realize in early years, especially in the hill country, how friggin many deer were shot with 22lr in the lungs to feed the family... it would stagger the folks these days. Talk to some of the old timers around......

Of course it doesn't mean I don't own a handful of magnums either...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.