Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
First of all, I'm very thankful those who spoke on his behalf and knew him well as well as those who brought sane perspective to earning a living and what that means.

My question is this...there was almost as much complaining about T/C as there was about LW. Why is that? I can see how their new switch barrel rifle isn't well received but what is so bad about the Encores and Contenders? I have been a Contender lover for several decades and the only complaint I really have is that there is no end to the barrels I want.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not a Rem 700 in a McMillan ( insert their favorite stock here ).

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want a Contender.

Be easier to travel with. Have a 12 gauge, 30-06, .50 caliber muzzle loader, and a .223 all in one case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I want a Contender.

Be easier to travel with. Have a 12 gauge, 30-06, .50 caliber muzzle loader, and a .223 all in one case.
No 30-06 on the Contender, have to go to the Encore for that. Similarly, TC quit making muzzleloading barrels for Contenders. They can be had used or custom, but not 'factory direct'. FWIW...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you don't mine a single shot, then the Encore/Contender is fine.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by calikooknic

It's even worse if it doesn't have a Leupold.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
if you don't mine a Butt Ugly single shot, then the Encore/Contender is fine.

This...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My issue is all they do is pimp their guns out to everyone/anyone on 99% of the TV shows, same with Mathews and their bows.

I could care less what someone else uses, but when I see companies trying to cram their product down your throat through flooding the advertising market I'm less inclined to buy their product, versus wanting to buy something and supporting more advertising.

I essentially quit watching the white tail shows and now the new thing "hog hunting shows". Love both sports, but it gets old watching them shoot the same thing time after time.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's because they don't twist their .22-250 barrels properly.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
if you don't mine a Butt Ugly single shot, then the Encore/Contender is fine.

This...

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really like the way they look...especially in handgun form or the shorter barreled carbines...especially the original Contender.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
my only issue with the T/C break-action single shots is that they seem to be in general more fussy about accuracy than a bolt action rifle. given the choice between an ICON and say a pro-hunter in something like a .308, I'll take the ICON every day. With the action bedding, good trigger, etc., it's just more likely to shoot accurately and consistently OOTB. Although there definitely seem to be some gunsmiths out there than can tune up an Encore to be a tackdriver.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by calikooknic

It's even worse if it doesn't have a Leupold.

Yep that was my first guess too.

I get that they're ugly but I shoot Savages and don't care for the pot/kettle thing.

As for the fact that they buy advertising, I personally haven't seen much point in watching those shows at all. Just me I know, but I hate the tv and would rather DO IT... hence no spectator sports... and I'm a hard core free market guy and will buy what works, and don't care how much money a company wastes advertising on shows I don't watch...

To each his own and for his own reasons.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
P D -

I have had # 1s and don't object to single shots.

The Contenders just don't fit my hand, it's awkard for me.

I REALLY object to the LOOKS of an Encore. Seriously, to me, it looks like they put a 2 X 6 on it for a stock and then thot,....

Oh! we can't grip it and then CUT the notch for a 'pistol grip'.

That's my kick!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cal74
My issue is all they do is pimp their guns out to everyone/anyone on 99% of the TV shows, same with Mathews and their bows.

I could care less what someone else uses, but when I see companies trying to cram their product down your throat through flooding the advertising market I'm less inclined to buy their product, versus wanting to buy something and supporting more advertising.

I essentially quit watching the white tail shows and now the new thing "hog hunting shows". Love both sports, but it gets old watching them shoot the same thing time after time.

I am just wondering who do you think pays for the airtime for those shows???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jwall
P D -

I have had # 1s and don't object to single shots.

The Contenders just don't fit my hand, it's awkard for me.

I REALLY object to the LOOKS of an Encore. Seriously, to me, it looks like they put a 2 X 6 on it for a stock and then thot,....

Oh! we can't grip it and then CUT the notch for a 'pistol grip'.

That's my kick!

Ya, some of the rifle stocks DO look awkward! I thought the original carbine Contender stocks looked very nice but the stocks that really shine, IMHO, are the custome thumbhole stocks. On a bolt gun I don't like them but to me, they are perfect on a Contender or Encore. I also think the long barrels look out of whack on them but the original 21" tubes are pretty sweet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I shoot Savages mostly .Now with that said I don't like any company take over on guns look at what Rem.did to Marlins an H&R junk now same with TC .They been there a while now .Tarus an Rossie about the only ones that can get this right . You can get any one to shoot an talk about guns But a group of hunters will sell more for u Just put your product out there if it great like Savage it will sell . U gun manfactures send hunters your guns let us evaluerate it

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Contenders are well thought out, trim, minimalist, break action carbines that allow easy experimentation with both rimfire and centerfire cartridges, are a joy to use in the field, and can fill a niche for a lot of rifle loonies.

Encores are mass marketed, ugly, abortions.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by savage62
I shoot Savages mostly .Now with that said I don't like any company take over on guns look at what Rem.did to Marlins an H&R junk now same with TC .They been there a while now .Tarus an Rossie about the only ones that can get this right . You can get any one to shoot an talk about guns But a group of hunters will sell more for u Just put your product out there if it great like Savage it will sell . U gun manfactures send hunters your guns let us evaluerate it

Very well stated.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"It's five a clock somewhere"........

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Contenders are well thought out, trim, minimalist, break action carbines that allow easy experimentation with both rimfire and centerfire cartridges, are a joy to use in the field, and can fill a niche for a lot of rifle loonies.

Encores are mass marketed, ugly, abortions.

Travis

Nailed it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.