Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,300 of 1,842 1 2 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mrsnortherndave
Tzone-have a great day! The boys left for school a little bit ago, RWS decided to drive Black Betty instead of his Honda. It's been snowing for awhile now and Dave said the roads are not great.

Quiet house, uff not sure I can take it. Mini Dave kept asking if I was going to wrap his present. Hmmmm, I told him I would later today. grin

Pam, if I know Joey, he's pretty fired up its his birthday....maybe not as much as you get but I'll bet he's excited. smile

I can't wait to see the pictures of his present.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
My son met with them last Sunday out in Portland and got the details. They're going to let the grandson come along for free. He can hunt grouse.

Are you old enough to have a 37 year old grandson? grin

I hope not! smile

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bill,
You will have to keep us informed of all the prep and of course a detailed account of the trip itself. Is the hunt in the mountains? If so, are you planning on an exercise program of some sort? I just started one for my archery elk hunt this fall (if we get drawn-find out really soon!).

Happy Birthday Joe!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Happy Birthday Joey!! Man you're growing up WAY to fast!

Charlie - I have the same problem with bait casters. Cast and untangle. Repeat.

I do run a Shimano on a Scheels Outfitter Tournament Series rod but I only use it for jigging and trolling.

I use spinning reels for casting.

Bill - Color me jealous! I would LOVE to do that!

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/17/14.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
HAPPY BIRTHDAY,JOEY!!!!
Stan in SC

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 02/17/14.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Bill,
You will have to keep us informed of all the prep and of course a detailed account of the trip itself. Is the hunt in the mountains? If so, are you planning on an exercise program of some sort? I just started one for my archery elk hunt this fall (if we get drawn-find out really soon!).

Happy Birthday Joe!

What are you doing? I highly recommend biking/spinning mixed with running/stair-climbing. You get GREAT cardio benefits without trashing you knees too much.

I wish I had started biking twenty years ago.

And, no, you don't have to wear spandex or lycra. Mountain biking cloths are baggy and usually have muted colors.

As a bonus, the scenery in spin class doesn't suck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Big lures with spinning reels gets bothersome after a while. One you get it down, you can go a long time between rat's nests. If you are going to throw big lures, you will be better off learning to use a properly set up baitcaster. That makes a huge difference. Start by increasing spool tension until you get no backlashes and you can tell it is too tight. Then slowly work your way looser. Your thumb is your backlash control. Once you get it, you will enjoy it.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The terrain is quite varied BM. Extremely steep in some areas and flat expanses in others. I won't be hunting the steep stuff I can guarantee you. Lots of swamps, lakes and rivers. I will have to do some conditioning for sure. Craig (Our guide) told my son to tell me he has a side by side UTV that he and I will ride in. My son will use a quad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A heavy braided line helps as well. Find something with little or no memory & a large diameter. It saves a lot of tangles & they are easier to untangle if/when it happens.

I like 70# braided Kevlar on my baitcasters. Northern pike & catfishes with that set-up.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Happy Birthday Joey, have a great one.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK here's the skinny on baitcasters

Use good guality line but only put about 50-60 yards on it while you practice and learn how to set the break. Hold the rod tip at about one a clock position and push the button with your weight or lure tied on when the weight hits the floor it should not back lash it it does tighten up the break .

And don't cast into the wind ! Always use your thumb to slow down the spool . Get outside and practice !

You can do it heck my wife uses them too!

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Once you get used to them, you will have the spool much looser so that if you let it hit the floor, it would backlash. But that takes a little practice.

Casting into the wind is dependent on the lure thrown to a great degree. Throwing a bucktail into the wind is frought with danger of a backlash. Throw an aerodynamic lure that is fairly heavy and you can get away with it after some practice. If you plan to do a bunch of casting, I would recommend baitcasters wholeheartedly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's definitely and acquired skill. Working into the wind you learn to keep your casts a little lower and shorter, use your thumb a bit more, and tighten up the spool brakes a bit. There's not a better platform for big fish, and also for speed work, like buzz baits and fast spinnerbaits. Hearing you guys talk about the Schimanos and Diawas, I just might have to pick a couple up and see what I think. I just had such good luck with my Ambassadeurs, it's hard to change. A good 5000 with a set of speed gears installed is a pretty tough reel to beat.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That is a happy face. You did good he will enjoy that for years. Happy tenth Birthday young man.

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GREAT present!I am presuming that is a 30-30???
I have a friend whose son hunts with one and he uses a hand rolled 110 grain load. He killed two 8 point bucks this past year. Bang,flop.
I have his load and have loaded some of these. They are very accurate in my bolt action 30-30.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like an 'enry!

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Very nice. Joe is going to really enjoy that rifle.

Son is looking at a Ruger American Compact in 243 for the GS.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Actually it's a rimfire. a Winchester 9422M (22WMR)

Pam got me one 10 or 12 years ago.... 12.

I've always liked the 9422's, buttery smooth, very well made little rifles and accurate too.

I started stock piling and stashing them away after I learned that they were no longer making them.

Nathan got one when he turned 10 as well. (almost 7 years ago)

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
From the bottom to the top, my 9422M, Joey's 9422M, Nate's 9422M and oddball Taylor's pink 10/22. grin

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Page 1,300 of 1,842 1 2 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.