Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
I grew up on Carmichael and Zumbo, sure do miss Jim's writing.

Same here. I learned alot from both.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I operate the small recycle facility here in Juneau and had a fella come in a few years ago with a collection of Rifle magazine, from the first issue through 2006. The first thing I did was read the first issue cover to cover. Jim's article was on the back page, after that article, that was the first thing I read until he stoped writing for them. Great writer, and story teller.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I shot clays with him in 2009 at the Southern SxS. Good company.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for this priceless information fellows.

I have often wondered this very thing and now I know!

I think Jim is really a one of a kind guy. We are blessed to have had him during our time.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jim is helping the widow of Terry Leonard in settling his estate. He was a premier BR stock maker. I was fortunate to purchase 4 of the stocks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think the last piece of his I read was in a Hodgdon Annual, all about him and a barrel of 4831. He used to shoot a lot of High Power matches I believe.

Good guy.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
He never made the claim but he is also a very capable gunsmith and stockmaker. When I was a younger man, I would read an article and frequently, I would think, "This guy can't tell me anything". I realized, early on, this was not the case with Carmicheal and he can probably still tell me a lot I don't know. As I get older, I have come to realize, literally everyone knows something which I do not. I'm glad they take the time to write it down for me to read. I count myself among those wishing Carmicheal would write some more. GD

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I loved his articles, I've used both the 338 and 280 because his information/use. I started handloading with the 280 in a Ruger 77..I bought 3 manuals, read them all first, then got one of the old LEE "hammer em in-hammer em out" load kits , ha. I did use a balance beam, scale and a LEE hand primer. It made exceptionally accurate ammo BTW! He also used a 4x scope on his 338. I wonder what he things about the big honking magnifier scopes many have gone to? smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/23/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If I remember right he was/is a fan of the .220 Swift.

Jim
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
And the cHeetah too, no? I always thought he was a pretty fair replacement for Jack O'Conner in the magazine.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And the 6.5-08, I mean .260 Rem. He started the whole mess!

God Bless America
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, not really. Ken Waters developed what he called the .263 Express in the late 1950s. Same cartridge, different name.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to love reading his articles. He took a .280 to Africa and killed a bunch of plains game before it was in style. Used the 140 grain partition if I remember correctly.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
And the cHeetah too, no? I always thought he was a pretty fair replacement for Jack O'Conner in the magazine.

I purchased a 22 Cheetah Mk II 9 years ago. It has a Ruger Mark II 243 action with a Remington 22-250 bull barrel. Trigger pull is 12 ounces. I learned a lot about this design reported to have been created by Jim Carmichael and Roy Huntington. Resizing 243 brass produced a lot of split necks. Thanks to following JB's advice in his books and articles, using Hornady brass and annealing....that problem went away! It is now a super accurate rifle with sub 1/2 accuracy. I only bought it because of its origin as I've been a fan of Carmichael since the mid 70's and JB since late 90's....plus its probably the only custom rifle I'll ever own. These guys give us a lot of useful info!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was introduced to Jim Carmichel’s writing as a kid stuck at home on a sick day reading dad’s Outdoor Life, Field & Stream and Sports Afield. I was probably 10 or so, and was already a “gun kid”…and of the writers of the day, Carmichel in OL was the one that I searched for first. While his writing was accessible and enjoyable to a young me…the prose I am rediscovering still speaks to the aged, crusty me of today. Here’s a favorite sample;
“To my mind, the invention of the bird dog is all the grander because it is the result of many generations of humanity sharing a dream no less inspiring than those of the great artists, writers, and bridge builders. Even as we marvel at ourselves for piercing the heavens, spanning great waters, and creating worldwide communications, what other invention can we lay claim to that finds a quail with breathtaking precision, brings it to our hand, faithfully trusts and tolerates us in spite of what we are, and asks only in return the pleasure of our company, a scratch on his ear, and a murmured, ‘Well done, old boy.'”

How can a guy speak so eloquently about the genius of the creation of the bird dog, yet name his cartridge creations after cats? One of the mysteries of the man…

Last edited by ChrisF; 07/24/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jim's name is spelled Carmichel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As I am constantly working on honing my standing as a curmudgeon, I have always gratefully looked to him for inspiration.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ChrisF
I was introduced to Jim Carmichael’s writing as a kid stuck at home on a sick day reading dad’s Outdoor Life, Field & Stream and Sports Afield. I was probably 10 or so, and was already a “gun kid”…and of the writers of the day, Carmichael in OL was the one that I searched for first. While his writing was accessible and enjoyable to a young me…the prose I find today still speaks to the aged, crusty me of today. Here’s a favorite sample;
“To my mind, the invention of the bird dog is all the grander because it is the result of of many generations of humanity sharing a dream no less inspiring than those of the great artists, writers, and bridge builders. Even as we marvel at ourselves for piercing the heavens, spanning great waters, and creating worldwide communications, what other invention can we lay claim to that finds a quail with breathtaking precision, brings it to our hand, faithfully trusts and tolerates us in spite of what we are, and asks only in return the pleasure of our company, a scratch on his ear, and a murmured, ‘Well done, old boy.'”

How can a guy speak so eloquently about the genius of the creation of the bird dog, yet name his cartridge creations after cats? One of the mysteries of the man…

Because of the speed of the Cheetah and the cartridge

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A cheetah is about half dog anyway.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So, it would seem that he is enjoying his life and retirement. Good for him!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 36 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.