Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
I assure you that the AMAX is holds together at least as well and possibly better in the 168 than the Nosler BT does.

Sorry I do not buy that. Huge difference in jacket thickness.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
I assure you that the AMAX is holds together at least as well and possibly better in the 168 than the Nosler BT does.

Sorry I do not buy that. Huge difference in jacket thickness.

So differences in metallurgy such as alloy, temper, etc, won't make a difference in terminal performance?

Nosler lead is soft. Real soft... Hornady, not so much. Just sayin'...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[quote=Formidilosus]

Leme guess...30-06 with 178's?

300WinMag with 178's. Extreme tissue damage if large bone is hit.

Originally Posted by MattMan
[quote=Fotis][quote=ringworm]

So differences in metallurgy such as alloy, temper, etc, won't make a difference in terminal performance?

Nosler lead is soft. Real soft... Hornady, not so much. Just sayin'...

The 168gr AMAX is significantly "softer" than the 168gr NBT. The 168 A-Max is about perfect for deer out of a 308 IME, however for those desiring more penetration the NBT is a better choice.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Total distance traveled by those deer= 0 feet.

Having used them all I would rather have a heavy 30cal caliber A-Max for a going away shot on a "trophy" buck than any TSX, GMX, etc.
sick with age comes wisdom maybe there is hope for you someday in the future laugh

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Regale me with your experiences concerning heavy 30cal A-Max's on deer in direct comparison to TSX's, etc. Please discuss shot distances, relative tissue damage, distance traveled after the hit, and the amount killed with each.

Pics are always appreciated..."

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Have shot dozens of deer from 50-450 yards with varias tsx and ttsx from 6mm 85's to 30 cal 168's DRT to ran maybe 30 yards . you are correct i have not shot a deer with a heavy 30cal a max but did so with a 162 from a 7-08 at about 300 yards small deer hit in upper neck about 6 in front of shoulders made a wound about 5in circle and all of about 3-4 in deep. deer did not run but lay there flaing about had to shoot it again, thats all i needed to see for useing a-max,s for hunting. Was this tread about a max's in general ??

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
So you have shot a total of 1 deer with an A-Max? Who would've thought....

I have seen TSX's that looked like an unpeeled banana after being removed from animals or expansion so minor that it was virtually caliber sized. However having shot significantly more deer with TSX's than you have with A-Max's, and having killed hundreds with A-Max's I am very comfortable with what they do and what to expect.

If I need to turf a deer right here, right now, I do not care about meat loss and I want a bullet that will destroy the most tissue possible. Give me a 300 Mag and 178gr A-Max..

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
i have shot deer with diff bullets from corelock interlock NBT tsx ttsx sst pro hunter gameking have seen deer shot with a wide varity or other and the worst wound proformance has been the a max and the makers of such dont recomend to do so ? who would have thought ?? and why would i want to shoot more than one deer with a given bullet when the first was a total puck up ??

Last edited by ldholton; 11/14/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on board with the A-Max for just about anything that can be punched in the vitals behind the shoulder. If a 140 Berger VLD can do this:

[Linked Image]

....and a 140gr, 6.5mm A-Max can do this at 758 yards....

[Linked Image]

I would have no issues with 208's for Elk, Oryx etc...

They also blow up praire dogs really well.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I would have no issues with 208's for Elk, Oryx etc...

They also blow up praire dogs really well.

Seems to be a bit of a paradox?

Or just a comment coming from a guy who has never chased a wounded elk 'round the mountains?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. Just what I think from having shot a bunch of PD's out to 600 with the 140 A-Max. They blew the dogs up. That would lead a guy to think the bullet is frangible and blows up. I don't think so from seeing how it performed with perfect entry and exit on an Ibex. Also shot a bedded smallish deer at 200 that had its head curled back resting on its offside. The A-Max entered, passed through the body, entered the side of the head blowing a silver dollar sized hole in it.

The instance of the VLD with the elk, obviously not an A-Max, was just another experience with bullets like the A-Max that have a reputation as being "frangible" that turned out to kill well for me. Many of the competitive shooters I know use them to hunt with and swear by them.

From my experience with them, I would have no qualms using them on other big game

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rc have you used the Amax on a lot of elk? Maybe at more moderate distances?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
ringworm: I understand and agree with your logic as long as you are willing to wait for the right shot. But what happens if the biggest buck you have ever seen just happens to appear quartering away, while you are out culling does? Having a cartridge/bullet combination that will work in unanticipated circumstances may seem asinine to you, but not to others.

But if you are truly willing to pass on such a buck, more power to you.

And I have never used Ballistic Tipson game, but I understand that they have been toughened up in recent years, redesigned for terminal performance. Don't think the same can be said for A Maxes.

I would put the bullet right behind the first rib and aiming for the offside shoulder.

Quartering towards me, right at the base of the neck.

Dave

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I think the new Accubond Long Range are going to be a game changer. Finally a bullet with the high BC of a target bullet, but with construction of a hunting bullet.

I don't, not at 36.00/50 <<< guessing though.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
rc have you used the Amax on a lot of elk? Maybe at more moderate distances?

Hi Bob, I've never shot an elk with the A-Max, just the Berger VLD.

My comment that I would feel comfortable with the .30 cal 208 gr A-Max for elk was made because of my experience recently with both bullets. I believe the A-Max may be a little tougher, and the 208 should be great. I shoot it in a long range rifle.

The OP's question was if the A-Max was good for deer and I say yes!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rc thanks! They are accurate buggers alright.Load workup was easy for me with 162's.I bet they slam deer sized stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is mine out of my 'lope this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

123 Amp jacket, 200 yds, about 3000fps impact speed.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bellydeep,

MOST (but not all) expanding hunting bullets start to expand immediately on hitting game. This is why the most damage is usually around and just behind the entry hole--and why prairie dogs will splatter when shot with most lead-cored hunting bullets. But it has nothing to do with how deeply the bullet will penetrate.

I've blown up small varmints with bullets a bunch of .25 to .375 caliber "big game" bullets from cartridge from the .257 Roberts to .375 H&H, the bullets including Hornady Interlocks, Nosler Partitions, Winchester Power Points and some others I've probably forgotten. The same bullets also worked just fine on big game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
A-Max bullets are not good for deer and will in fact, make them very ill and ultimately, will kill them. This applies to most projectiles. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
laugh grin

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.