Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,026 of 1,842 1 2 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Off-dah. Did you leave your shorts in the corn field?

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nah, did have a few hot chocolates and peppermint schnapps though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id have wore that boys ass out with a switch. I stopped doin drives for kind of the same thing. when i was young it was unthinkable for a kid to a stander on a drive, my spoiled whinny ass 2nd cousin pitched a fit about walking through his own property so they let him stand, luckily he was in a tree stand had a doe come out 50 yards from him and started hammering on it, at 12 yrs old. That was the final straw for me, no way a young kid should be a stander on a deer drive, and IMO no reason for them to have a gun with them by themselves as a walker.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by big drift
Closest I came was deer hunting about 20 years ago, had a young guy in our group. We were dealing with warm weather, high winds and no crops picked.

Got permission to drive a cornfield.

Drivers were told not to shoot at all as the plan was to just get the deer out of the corn into an adjacent woodlot.

Kid got all excited as three doe started running up the rows towards us.

Fired three shots out of his 12 gauge with slugs. One went over each shoulder and the third thru the brim of my cap. I went to ground. My brother and a couple friends grabbed his ass and threw him in a truck while a couple of others held me down and my dad took the guns away.

Needless to say I was done hunting for the day.

You'll never forget that sound.

I'm pretty sure it would have taken a few guys to hold me down in that situation. eek

That is a very scary story.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is insane!

I'll admit that I came close to being on the other end of that situation once...however, this was completely the other guys fault, admitted by him, his group, as well as the farmer who owned the land I was on.

We were done with a drive, and ALL of the drivers said over the radio: "I am OUT of the woods". As I'm walking up the hill along the fence row, I hear a shot above me, and the farmer yell "MIKE! BUCK COMING DOWN!!!"

I pull up to get ready as he burst out of the brush. I fire off 2 shots from the 12 gauge, and then see an older man come out from behind a tree (still VERY MUCH in the woods!) right where I was getting ready to fire a 3rd shot. At 19 years old, I was freaking out, sure I had done something VERY stupid, apologizing profusely, wondering how I ever thought I was safe enough to even carry a gun...

Then I remembered that this man himself had said that he was OUT of the woods and headed to his truck...

When the farmer asked him about it, he said: "I was basically out, and I could see the trucks!"

He was hunting in the group with some friends of the farmer, and it was the first time he had ever hunted there before.

It was his last time hunting there, too. Meanwhile, I still hunt this farm a bit when I am home.

Scariest situation I have ever been a part of while hunting...almost enough to make me hang up my gun forever, honestly.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't do traditional drives. I just don't like them.

I'll get down from posting and make a route through areas I think I might be able to kick a deer up towards one of our other hunters. But I won't take part in a traditional party drive with posters.

It's never been my cup of tea.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tell ya what Dave, it's been probably 6 years since I have participated in a drive.

Didn't know if I'd like them before I did them there, and I know that I don't like them now.

I still hunt there...just not on drives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have participated in deer drives since the 1950s and nothing has happened to deter me from continuing. Know your target and what is beyond is certainly appropriate, but most importantly know who you are hunting with.

The traditional deer drive is just another arrow in the quiver.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ive got no problem with a deer drive as long as its experience hunters, i do have problems with kids on deer drives.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've never done a drive of any type until last weekend with chickenbuck crew and that wasn't a drive. It was 2 guys in stands and 2 guys a 1/4 mile apart looking to see if anything was moving.....it wasn't.

But I got caught in the middle of a drive in central WI during one of the early Tzone (doe hunt) periods. It was Mosinee Paper Co. land and I had seen a lot of does in the area so I headed there afte work one day.

No cars or trucks were around so I thought I was in the clear. Needless to say, the drivers came from a river about 1/4 mile from me and the standers were about 1/4 further past me. I was literally in the middle of it when the shooting started. I could hear shots hit trees yards from me. I have never been so scared of anything. I hunkerd down below the boulder I was leaning on and started shouting so they knew where I was.

They passed me and I got my ass back to the truck and got the hell out of the woods. I'd seen enough for one day.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This kid was 17 and all hard up to "prove" himself. Worse part he tried to blame another guy we were hunting with who only had ten slugs at the start of the day. He used two on a doe that morning and another sighting his shotgun in when he thought he bumped the sights off, afterwards he was still at 7.

Didn't matter how safe we were, went thru the whole safety discussion and plan, pointed out on aerial photos how and where people were to be, when it came right down to it he got all fired up and didn't think.

Group we hunt with now don't quite understand why my boys are not allowed to have rounds in their rifles during a drive or if they are posted have to have an adult with them but they understand that is how it is with my kids until I decide they are ready. My oldest was complaining about it this year and I just let him go until we got home then I dug out that hat and put it on the table in front of him, he just got real quiet and said ok.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kids on a deer drive? Kids of various ages join in our drives and they have various stages of experience. The youngest kids start out with their parent or mentor by their side to get them accustomed to the activities of a drive. Most don't even carry a gun. They advance within the group based on their attitudes and experience. We don't tolerate anything less.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave

I'll get down from posting and make a route through areas I think I might be able to kick a deer up towards one of our other hunters. But I won't take part in a traditional party drive with posters.

The guy I hunt with and myself will do that sometimes as well. One person will stay in their stand from 0500 until late, and the other one of us will stay there from 0500 until 0900ish, then get down and walk around still-hunting a little hoping to get them moving if they have hunkered down, especially opening weekend Sunday morning.

The guy I hunt with walked a 10-pointer into me in 2009 doing that, and I have walked a few nice big does to him.

Much safer than driving the tree-line and ducking for cover when 10 dudes empty their shotguns at running deer......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by northern_dave

The guy I hunt with and myself will do that sometimes as well. One person will stay in their stand from 0500 until late, and the other one of us will stay there from 0500 until 0900ish, then get down and walk around still-hunting a little hoping to get them moving if they have hunkered down, especially opening weekend Sunday morning.

The guy I hunt with walked a 10-pointer into me in 2009 doing that, and I have walked a few nice big does to him.

Much safer than driving the tree-line and ducking for cover when 10 dudes empty their shotguns at running deer......

Hardly seems fair! haha!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23

Hardly seems fair! haha!

Deserves got nothin' ta do with it......

smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Seems like deer-drive horror stories are every bit as common up there as down here. We will see a bunch of guys shot in the first two weeks of December. Also every one of them will be on deer drives. That is the normal mode of deer hunting here, and it pays little respect to property lines or safety to participants or bystanders.

Like all of you, I have my deer drive story. Only I was lying on my back on a mudbar in the Des Moines river while duck hunting. I walked up the bar after chasing down a wayward decoy and watched guys across the river in orange converging from up and downstream. The ones along the bank saw me for sure so they knew we were over there (~150 yds away at that point).

Got back to my position and sat down when the guy upstream started shooting and I saw the first slug hit water in the middle of the river out in front of us. Then I saw the buck that was trying to make it to our side. The guy kept shooting and the buck kept coming attempting to reach land right above us. The second shot hit water on the outer edge of the dekes. The third it in the middle of the dekes, and by the time the fourth was on the way, I was hunkered as flat as I could get. That slug and one more hit mud somewhere really really close.

The deer died and floated away downstream with no attempt to recover it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
Kids on a deer drive? Kids of various ages join in our drives and they have various stages of experience. The youngest kids start out with their parent or mentor by their side to get them accustomed to the activities of a drive. Most don't even carry a gun. They advance within the group based on their attitudes and experience. We don't tolerate anything less.

I should have expounded but thats how i feel as well. To many kids get to excited when a deer jumps up 10' in front of them and tries to go back through the drive thats generally when people get hurt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way I look at it is like this: There isn't a deer on the planet I want to shoot bad enough that I will participate in deer "drives" to get a shot.

We seem to do just fine with the occasional person still-hunting through the thick stuff to get them moving, and often even that isn't necessary.

Then again, I hunt northern woods, so an actual drive would just lead them to a road at best, because we don't have any open country to drive them out into.

This is the view from our "open" stand with the good "long" shooting lanes.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My very first year deer hunting was almost my last in more ways than one. My future BIL took me out to a pasture he had permission on with river and woods running through it and we set stands a month before season.

Opening morning came and we walked in well before daylight. We came across a make shift camp that had about 8 - 10 guys sitting around a campfire passing a bottle of whiskey around.

They bragged that they had been up all night and they already had two fawns hanging from a tree that they poached. After some slurred and obnoxious conversation from them and them asking us for our doe tags so they could tag their illegal fawns, we found out they were from the city closest to us.

My BIL and I knew this was trouble so we made our way to our stands. He made sure I got up in mine ok and then went to his. Just as the sky started turning gray, a fawn came running down the path directly at me and went under my stand. Then the shooting started. I heard 3 slugs wizz past me and then THWACK! The fourth hit the tree about 8 inches above my head.

I don't even remember jumping but I jumped 10 feet down to the ground and hit the dirt and started yelling. My BIL came over to see what was wrong and I showed him where the slug hit. We couldn't find the guy doing the shooting but we found one of his drunken partners gutting that fawn after it ran to him. My BIL told the guy that if we find his buddy he is going to get the butt of his gun in his teeth. I just said "lets go".

We never hunted there again and I almost gave up deer hunting after that. And to this day, I think its a big reason why I prefer bowhunting.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if that kind of wanton disregaurd for saftey happend to me, id have a heckuva hard time not shooting back.

Page 1,026 of 1,842 1 2 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 58 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.