Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7078172 - 11/15/12 10:00 AM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: chain]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Pushing a broom at OU....
Originally Posted By: chain
I have been using #11 caps. I think I will try Black powder. What is the story on the other nipples ? Thank you. The weather here in Northern Michigan isn't the driest in early December when we hunt with ML's but I do try to keep everything dry. Thanks again.
The Hot Shot, Knight Red Hot, and Spitfire nipples all provide an alleged advantage in ignition over standard nipples through flame pattern, flash chamber shape, volume, etc. I don't know how much of that is hype and how much is real. I do know they will more securely hold your cap than most factory supplied nipples on the Italian muzzleloaders (which your CVA is).

The only ones currently available for your gun are the MSMs (MSM = Mountain States Muzzleloading = Spitfire) and the AMPCO variety. (I believe you'll need a 6mm x 1mm.) Get a couple of those and a pound of FFG and you'll be set.

#7078363 - 11/15/12 10:58 AM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: Bricktop]
nighthawk Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NE South Dakota
I use Hot Shot nipples with good results. I liked the theory at the time but I don't know how much is real either. Plain AMPCO nipples in various other firearms have worked well too,

Quote:
but I also think that getting a side lock dry in the first place is harder than for an inline

With the CVA mountain rifle a lot can hide in the drum part of the breech and affect both ignition and the charge. You need to take out the cleanout screw and work a couple Q-Tips through it.

I finish with water displacing oil and patch until dry. Then pull an impressive amount of oil and some water with a swab through the cleanout hole. Probably wouldn't do much for reliability when left loaded, which I've done with no problems.

#7078638 - 11/15/12 12:30 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: nighthawk]
chain Offline

Thanks guys. Bricktop, I love Pinedale, I was there elk hunting in Sept. My favorite place.

#7078663 - 11/15/12 12:36 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: chain]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks guys. Bricktop, I love Pinedale, I was there elk hunting in Sept. My favorite place.
Next time I go, I'll tell the chamber of commerce. smirk

#7079724 - 11/15/12 05:51 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: chain]
benchman Offline
Campfire Ranger

I have a CVA Bobcat that had ignition problems with Pyro. I tried a Musket cap, but did not have enough clearance to use it. Switched to 777, and that solved the problem.

#7079840 - 11/15/12 06:19 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: benchman]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: benchman
I have a CVA Bobcat that had ignition problems with Pyro. I tried a Musket cap, but did not have enough clearance to use it. Switched to 777, and that solved the problem.
That's nothing more than a placebo effect. Black powder has an ignition temperature of approximately 570 F (I've seen claims of a temperature as low as 450 F); Pyrodex and Triple 7 both have an ignition temperature of approximately 750 F. If for some reason you've led yourself into believing Pyrodex is harder to ignite than Triple 7 or vice-versa, you likely have other factors at work. At any rate, I've shot enough of all three mentioned powders in my T/C and my various Lymans to know better than to believe any claim that Triple 7 is easier to ignite than anything beyond simple dirt.

#7079932 - 11/15/12 06:39 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: chain]
bea175 Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Kpt.,TN , Montgomery, Co, VA
I have a CVA mountain rifle 54/58 that I got from a member here and I love the rifle but I am having ignition problems with Pyrodex. I leave it outside so not to get condensation but sometimes it just doesn't go off. I am pretty green to these weapons and I welcome all suggestions. Some guys locally have told me to go to regular black powder rather than Pyrodex. Thank you

go to 3F Triple Seven and this will solve your problems if you keep the rifle halve way clean

#7079992 - 11/15/12 06:55 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: bea175]
Bricktop Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: bea175
I have a CVA mountain rifle 54/58 that I got from a member here and I love the rifle but I am having ignition problems with Pyrodex. I leave it outside so not to get condensation but sometimes it just doesn't go off. I am pretty green to these weapons and I welcome all suggestions. Some guys locally have told me to go to regular black powder rather than Pyrodex. Thank you
go to 3F Triple Seven and this will solve your problems if you keep the rifle halve way clean
Uh, no.

#7080237 - 11/15/12 08:17 PM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: Bricktop]
captchee Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Idaho
If this is an original CVA mountain rifle , then it was made for the most part in the US . Later models are Spanish made starting early on Jukar and then Adesa.
The later guns also will be metric to include the neck of the nipple

Either way I donít believe it will mater if your using T7 or Pyro . The reason is that your running into an issue of ignition temperatures, as brick top mentioned .
Combined with a flash channel design thatís long and takes 2, 90 deg turns.

Through the years CVA used 3 different bolsters . Their very early drum bolsters were short necked bolsters . By the late 1970ís they went to a medium neck and then a long necked bolster .
What also changed was the flash hole exited from the booster to the main charge .
For some reason some of these long necked bolsters only contain a small slit for the flash to go through . While others have a larger flash channel size hole . Either way your flash is traveling right around ĺ of an inch before it reaches the main charge.

Put the modern powders aside and get you some BP .

Edited by captchee (11/15/12 08:18 PM)

#7081187 - 11/16/12 07:53 AM Re: Ignition Issues [Re: captchee]
chain Offline

I don't understand the two 90's now that you mention it. I will get some BP. Thanks Guys

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on TALLEY RINGS AND BASES!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
77 registered (4ager, 28lx, 270winchester, 10pointer, 1flier, 2legit2quit, 9 invisible), 780 Guests and 302 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50355 Members
72 Forums
631776 Topics
9060846 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.