Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
??????

So you get the same enjoyment from NY city alley rats as Big Game, assigning them the same value?

For fun, yes.

I hope that was just a keyboard fart

I remember getting buck fever over shooting mice with a BB gun when I was about thirty-five years old. Hunting is hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by rost495

And so whats wrong with long vs other choices we make. This argument never ceases to amaze me. There is no 100% foolproof weapon or shot.

Do the best you can, know your limitations and stay inside of them, the rest is no one else's business.

I'm not criticizing the shot and it is a great deer. However, when you post what you did on a public forum, you've made it everybody's business.

Yep.

Although I am happy the OP chose not to put the post in the deer hunting forum as mayhem would ensue and I too would have gotten in line to have a kick at the cat. smile

Nice buck.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
??????

So you get the same enjoyment from NY city alley rats as Big Game, assigning them the same value?

For fun, yes.

I remember getting buck fever over shooting mice with a BB gun when I was about thirty-five years old. Hunting is hunting.
Holyyy schit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice looking deer, a 600 yd shot on game is nothing to sneeze at, I'd say you did very well.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
FYI the shooter in question did place third at a regional long distance shoot this past month.

STRIKE WHILE THE IRON'S HOT
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I simply stated that passing up animals for the express purpose of attempting a longer shot is the wrong attitude to have when hunting

I couldn't agree more.

Game animals are not steel targets. A poor shot matters.

That being said, Congratulations on one unique Muley and one heck of a nice shot!!!!

First to the OP congrats, good shooting and nice buck, even with the "trash," LOL.

Personally I tend to agree with what Heavywalker said, but I also realize that is my own personal ethic, not to be confused with "ethics." And not to be imposed on anyone else. To put it another way, just because I may have tried to get closer or taken a shorter shot doesn't mean anybody else needs to think the way I do, or is in the wrong for not thinking the way I do provided they are capable of making the shot, which the OP obviously was.

It's true, game animals are not steel targets and a poor shot matters.

There was no poor shot here though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Ringman
??????

For fun, yes.

Holyyy schit.

Kind of what I was thinking, not sure how you can assign the same value to plague carrying vermin and trophy game animals. Better rethink that comment or reassess value system.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
having passed thru Wibaux Montana a million times, as flat and open as it is there, 600 yds would seem like a pretty common thing around there...

if the man has the equipment and knows how to use it, I see no problem with that..

problem usually is, all too many guys don't know how to use the equipment...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I say prepare for 600, hope for 100.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LB- Congrats on your great buck and on your shot as well!

NRA member

Mill Creek Rifle Club member
DeSoto, KS
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LBSmith
Every buck I seen today was under 400 and I wanted something around the 7 or 800 mark. This buck was only at 605 yards and I had myself talked out of shooting him for a while because I wanted a farther shot. But after looking him over for a good 30 minutes I decided to take him.

You could have walked 200yds in the opposite direction in that 30 minutes...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blargon
Every buck I seen today was under 400 and I wanted something around the 7 or 800 mark. This buck was only at 605 yards and I had myself talked out of shooting him for a while because I wanted a farther shot. But after looking him over for a good 30 minutes I decided to take him.

That is funny! grin

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blargon

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe just crawling smile Must say that it was obviously a good shot and a nice buck, but I would get more pleasure from a long shot if that is how the animal presented itself and it was my only choice.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 11/22/12.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Hey, at least he didn't burn up all his points for a trophy area, and then gut shoot a dink at 500yds, only to let the meat spoil. (not to mention forgetting his camera)

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Calvin
Hey, at least he didn't burn up all his points for a trophy area, and then gut shoot a dink at 500yds, only to let the meat spoil. (not to mention forgetting his camera)

You'd have to be a real moron to do that...

Congrats to the OP.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Calvin

You sure let JeffO get under your skin....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm pretty sure he just doesn't tolerate incredible stupidity.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Seafire

if the man has the equipment and knows how to use it, I see no problem with that..

+1

If he was outside his known competence level, that's one thing. That wasn't the case so I see no issues with his desire to achieve a personal first.

RLTW
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congrats on a great buck!!
600 yards is a heck of a shot and nothing to shake a stick at. There will be others. At least you got the right equipment/ know how.

I think im long range hunting cause aint nothin moving in these woods this year. Maybe i should start hunting mice...

Last edited by Joe_S; 11/25/12.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
having passed thru Wibaux Montana a million times, as flat and open as it is there, 600 yds would seem like a pretty common thing around there...

What he said
besides a feller would have to see more of Wibaux than the Tasty Freeze!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 160user, 93 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.