Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Leupold m-8 6x

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
A little something to add to the dirty pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sweet! A new Winnie!
What's she chambered for and how do you like the new style mounts?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I would like to see a modified Ruger No. 1 quarter rib to mount a scope on a new Winchester High Wall

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Picked up this 30-30 Handi rifle today. Had a Buffalo Classic stock set waiting on it, so i swapped out the crappy wood stock these come with in favor of the nicer stock. Then i took a walk.

Here she is with anniversary present from my wife, a Ruger Vaquero in 45acp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And with old cartridge. And old Winchester silver tip.
Probably shouldnt be shooting these. Ha
[Linked Image]

I have a Leupold vxII 2-7x32 waiting for me to get a rail and its gonna go on it.

Love the little compact scope/ rifle combos.

Last edited by Joe_S; 02/23/13.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
9.3x74R

Case coloring by Turnbull.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful! What was the Turn around time for that work? I am thinking about sending my AH to Turnbull.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful 9.3mm !!

Nice choice on glass also.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This was done a while ago, so I don't know what his turn around time is now. Whatever it is, it's worth it. His color case hardening looks great on single actions too.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Wow! That's gorgeous.

Originally Posted by picturerock
9.3x74R

Case coloring by Turnbull.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 7.62x39 Assault Single-Shots....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

7.62x39 sure sounds asaulty to me! I'll never forget the night some kid got a hold of a C02 gun and took a shot in the general direction of his little broher. Terrible thing for sure, but the local media on our NBC station, who to this day couldn't tell the different between an assault rifle (whatever that is) and a point stick just would not let go of the fact that is was CO2, which in their minds was 10x worse than just a BB gun. As a kid I hated CO2s. Your first 10 shots were ok then things just got weaker from then on out and I had to buy more canisters. You better be careful about stating you own a 7.62! Or just call it a .308 stumpy and everything my be ok for a while.

C
C
BrentD,

In my browsing of this older thread I ran across your photo of the one that got away. It looked very familiar. I bought the Ballard, #10, Junior from Gene Kramer from Iowa at the Tulsa show several years back. I haven't seen another stock like it. The stock is numbered to the Ballard and all numbers match on it. If the stock wasn't original to the gun, it certainly was a period replacement and the lettering stamps are the same.

As soon as I figure out how to post a photo on this forum, I will post one of the rifle. Richard

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Richard, Thanks a bunch for your post. I'd really like to see your photos.

The guy at the Tulsa show from Iowa, was it maybe Gene Farmer rather than Kramer? Gene Farmer was a notable gun collector, shooter and historian who went to Tulsa frequently and specialized in Ballards. He often shot at the range where my photo was taken. In fact, he basically built that range and the Pine Ridge club with the owner of the rifle, Roy Watson and a group of others. We still shoot there twice a month.

Ah well, I got to rambling, but I do look forward to your pictures.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
C
C
BrentD,

You are correct. I went back to my notes and it was Gene Farmer. He was selling it for Roy Watson. Gene was a really nice guy and I visited at lenght with him. I had bought a Schoyen Ballard from Gene the year before at the Tulsa show.I read on the ASSRA forum that Gene passed away a year or so ago.
When Gene was at the Tulsa show with the #10 Ballard, I stopped by his table several times trying to buy the rifle, he came down a little and I came up alot, but I did finally come away with it. He was a very enjoyable guy to deal with and I certainly have no regrets about buying the rifle.

Buy the way, near what city is the Pine Ridge range? I live in eastern Kansas, so Iowa isn't that far away.

I like your longhorn photo-- raised registered longhorns for twenty years and still have one!

http://s1286.beta.photobucket.com/u...mp;_suid=1362267390429002758978803515294

Last edited by Crown_C; 03/02/13.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, that was Roy's rifle. He was using it to beat me that day that I took the picture. And yes, Gene drives a hard bargain. Never saw anyone get the better of him in a deal but he was pretty reasonable most of the time.

Can't make your picture work though. Not sure what the problem is.

Brent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

I don't remember exactly where, but I saw a 7.62x39 K1A with nice wood, and almost bought it, but missed out. Nothing traditional about them, but it's a appealing combo, and a bit off the beaten path. Looks like yours is a really good shooter. What bullets do they prefer?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
C
Brent,
Edited my earlier post and added photobucket photos. Should work now.

I mistakenly used the name Gene Kramer, as that was a rancher from Nebraska that I knew for years.

I never had the good fortune to meet Roy Watson, who was the actual owner of the Ballard # 10. Did he ever mention anything about the unusal stock?

Thanks-- Richard

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Richard,
Roy and I talked about the stock and where it might have come from. He had no information from the prior owner and we never saw or heard of another like it. She is beautiful though. You now have what I consider the single most beautiful Ballard of all time. Looks like you are a bit of a Ballard fan there.

I don't know much about longhorns, but perhaps you have heard of Dave Hillis - he raises longhorns on his Double Helix Ranch in Texas and I believe he is fairly well known for it. http://doublehelixranch.com/

C
C
Brent,

Thanks for the information about Roy and the compliment on the rifle. I really like it too. To bad about the lack of history on the rifle, so much has been lost over time on these great old guns.I do like the Ballards best, but still have a few High Walls and Hepburns too.Dave Crosno has one now that I can't wait to shoot this summer. It has an unfired Stevens-Pope barrel (#1179)and Dave is mating it to a Ken Hurst engraved receiver along with some of Daves XXX wood. I picked up the barrel about a year ago and when Dave bore scoped it, he didn't think it had ever been fired, perfect bore. The chamber cast I did shows it to be a 33-40 or 47.

Afraid I don't know Dave Hillis. I know alot of TLBAA breeders though, I was the National President during the late 80s and on the board over 20 years. I do know alot of Texans as over half of our membership are from Texas.

Richard

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my little night stalker ... Just too efficient ...

[Linked Image]

Va t'in tch�re !
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.