Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#7080683 11/16/12
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Along with a bunch of jobs. Lets here it for the unions. Just before the holidays, way to go.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Surely I won't have to buy twinkies made in China...

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unions are so awesome. If only evil business owners understood business economics like they do. We have several of the Nobel Prize winning union economists here. They'll be along to explain it to you post haste. It's 'magic'....

Oh well, what's a few more thousand on food stamps.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The insanity of some unions is legendary. WHY would the union "leadership" opt to stay out on strike when a complete closing is the result?? A bigger and better deal?? Hell no. Now NOBODY has a job. Organize this idiots! Do the union bosses at national level lose their pay?? Do they et their own "Golden Parachute"?? Will they share it with the out of work folks that they so "ably" "represented"???? Inquiring minds want to know.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That sucks bigtime, am I correct in assuming this to be a well over a hundred year old US company that just fell?

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only one of the unions - the bakers - didn't come to an agreement. I saw an interview with their union guy and he said they fully expected Hostess to either cave in or sell off to another company that would give them a better contract lol.

No way someone is going to buy Hostess. What is going to happen, and the CEO of Hostess has already said his is the path they will take, is they will sell off the trademarks that are worth something to a company already in the business and sell off the plants/property for pennies on the dollar.

Here's a list of closings as of 7am Friday. 18,000 employees in total.

Plant Status

Birmingham, AL: Closed

Anchorage, AK: Closed

Los Angeles, CA (Hostess): Closed

Los Angeles, CA (Dolly): Closed

Oakland, CA: Closed

Sacramento, CA: Closed

Denver, CO: Closed

Jacksonville, FL: Closed

Orlando, FL: Closed

Columbus, GA: Closed

Hodgkins, IL: Closed

Peoria, IL: Closed

Schiller Park, IL: Closed

Columbus, IN: Closed

Indianapolis, IN: Closed

Waterloo, IA: Closed

Emporia, KS: Closed

Lenexa, KS: Closed

Alexandria, LA: Closed

Biddeford, ME: Closed

Boonville, MO: Closed

St. Louis, MO: Closed

Billings, MT: Closed

Henderson, NV: Closed

Wayne, NJ: Closed

Rocky Mount, NC: Closed

Cincinnati, OH: Closed

Defiance, OH: Closed

Northwood, OH: Closed

Tulsa, OK: Closed

Philadelphia, PA: Closed

Knoxville, TN: Closed

Memphis, TN: Closed

Ogden, UT: Closed

Salt Lake City, UT: Closed

Seattle, WA: Closed

Last edited by NathanL; 11/16/12.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like the union Twinkies really stepped on their Ding Dongs this time.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I think this is their 3rd bankruptcy since 2000, and the second since this past January. Surely the union folks knew the company wasn't in good shape.

I'm picking up the vibe that all of the left views the results of most recent election as confirmation that the vast majority of the country embraces their views. As such, it's a pretext for them to become even more belligerent in their demands. I heard Patty Murray on NPR this am, saying there will be no Fiscal Cliff deal if it goes beyond 50% entitlement cuts to 50% tax increases. There's simply not enough $ among the rich to pay for that % of the total deficit.

I don't have any gold. I think I need to get my lead mated up to some brass, pronto.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rick, that should become a campfire classic! smile

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gonna be sickening to see what else falls in the coming months due to blowzero care and the union BS combined, talking about out living your usefulness = unions.

And hell yes on part two, been wearing out the arm on my presses since 11/08.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In all honesty, their bread had already went bankrupt. I used to think that Hostess bread was the best but the last few years, the cheap store brands were better. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
The insanity of some unions is legendary. WHY would the union "leadership" opt to stay out on strike when a complete closing is the result?? A bigger and better deal?? Hell no. Now NOBODY has a job. Organize this idiots! Do the union bosses at national level lose their pay?? Do they et their own "Golden Parachute"?? Will they share it with the out of work folks that they so "ably" "represented"???? Inquiring minds want to know.
They do it because the vast majority of the time it works and 'most' of them get to keep their jobs. They are simply mindless drones working for their union bosses and paying them to boot, all the while the union bosses convince the drones it's the guys signing their paychecks that are the evil ones. Quit ingenious really....

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This is just the beginning, it'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I was much younger, Hostess Ding-Dongs and Budweiser was a breakfast staple. It is the end of an era.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
During the 1950s when US Steel was king, Unions struck repeatedly and the industry was at the same crossroads Hostess is today. The Unions were warned at the impending loss due to cheaper costs abroads and their answer was "let it fail" which of course it did. You can fill in the blanks for just about any industry and it's not just unions. There was a thread here recently about college education and whether it was "worth it" or not. It was clear from that discussion where the problem lies and the democraps made great use of this during this past election.
The world needs McDonald's order clerks too and they can't expect to make the same money an "educated" person makes and that premise is easily extended to Twinkie Makers....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Unions are so awesome. If only evil business owners understood business economics like they do. We have several of the Nobel Prize winning union economists here. They'll be along to explain it to you post haste. It's 'magic'....

Yep - Note that the people at the Bakers Union are huge contributors to the workforce and I'm sure they will "feel the pain" of their union workers. crazy

http://www.bctgm.org/international/bctgm_whofrank.html

http://www.bctgm.org/international/bctgm_whodavid.html

http://www.bctgm.org/international/bctgm_whojoeseph.html

They have all been Union leadership in one form or another for > 40 years. Bet they are not taking a pay cut.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Worked so well for Eastern Airlines, these morons figured they follow along.

Just too bad Chrysler wasn't afforded the opportunity to do the same.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing quite like a Frozen Ding-Dong...RIP

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think that Little Debbie is behind alla' this,.....

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Worked so well for Eastern Airlines, these morons figured they follow along.

That one was a bit more complicated. My Grandfather was a pilot for Eastern and Uncle a mech and Aunt a gate person. It was a combination of Frank Lorenzo and Union stupidity combined with deregulation, fuel prices and Eastern poorly upgrading their fleet 10-15 years prior. Lots of blame to go around.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
222 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.