Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KYFRED
That does not sound like an unfair wage, but how much of that is Union dues, what are the health insurance and other benefit costs that go into it. Assuming our costs of close to $12,000 per FTE, we are looking at an additioanl $6 per hour in employee costs. And at what price point would Hostess have to price their food to realize a profit. They may be overly leveraged, but this is not a strong market for manufacturing location sales.

Fair point...and why importing Mexicans is so popular today.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 11/16/12.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Of course, theres always this to ponder if you're an employee of hostess.

When a company hires a LIQUIDATION CEO prior to wage negotiations (to save the company), you'd have to be total fuggin' idiot to believe that Rayburn/Hostess is even remotely serious about trying to save the company. He was hired to liquidate the company...just a matter of when and how much he could bilk out of the employees.

He's a fuggin' hatchet man...plain and simple.

Last edited by BuzzH; 11/16/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BuzzH
GeauxLSU,

Why have the past 6 CEO's that Hostess hired in the last 8 years not had a fuggin' lick of experience between them in anything to do with the baking/snack industry?

Is it a good idea to hire a fuggin' plumber to fix your car?

Of course, THAT FACT probably had nothing to do with the demise of Hostess.

Right?

So you get to ask questions and I answer them but you don't answer mine? OK, you are not alone in those rules.
I take it you've never been a C level exec anywhere? It's not about the 'bakery industry'. It's about managing a retail goods manufacturing company. If the CEOs were coming up with new recipes and had never been in a kitchen before, you 'point' might have some merit.
But I concede. Blasted management strikes again. The unionistas are victims again... well... except for the union bosses of course. They win either way.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I heard on the Salt Lake City Fox channel last night that the executives still got their bonuses even though the company was going down hill. Asking the workers to take a pay cut when the bosses are getting bonuses is just too much in my opinion. The Unions screwed themselves but if the report was true about bonuses, I can see why they did it. They were p'o'd and not thinking straight!

Depends. What critieria for those bonuses based on? IMO bonuses based on stock prices are not in the long term best interest of a company but it happens and the executives themselves don't set the criteria.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RIP my friend...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If the company is failing, then the execs are failing. Execs are there to lead the company to profits. Granted, union contracts can hamstring them if the market changes after the contracts are signed, but there shouldn't be any bonuses paid when the company is running in the red.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Soooooooo I wonder how much they will sell for on EBay! laugh Got to love you guys arguing over who killed Twinkie the Kid. I sure both sides of this argument here are privy to all teh facts involved. crazy

I got to run now to stock up at my local grocery store.....prepare for the zombie hoards ya know! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs
bonuses based on stock prices are not in the long term best interest of a company but it happens and the executives themselves don't set the criteria.
Agreed. I'll take it further, the last publicly traded company I worked for will hopefully be the last. But the older I get the less it matters I suppose.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh bullchit...those execs deserve their BONUS pay...its the workers that dont deserve their $13.78/hour SALARY.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of you are under the misconception that 'bonuses' are only paid when a company performs well. I have never seen an executive bonus plan where the financial well being of the company is the only item they were bonused on. It many cases it's not even remotely the majority of what they are bonused on. And bonuses are not 'extra'. They sign on the dotted line when hired. It is part of their compensation just like salary. Variable, yes, but not 'extra'.

NRA Lifer

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The expression "monkey on your back" comes from an ancient fable about a man who, in a time of plenty, carried a monkey on his back and fed the monkey a banana whenever he ate one. (But today, no one pays any attention to the wisdom of ancient fables. And no body here will pay any attention to this post. �'est la vie.)

Came a time of famine. Fewer and fewer bananas until there were none. But the monkey's appetite for bananas still demanded satisfaction. It did the man in.

A friend of mine died from the same parasitic insistence. Literally.

In Alaska as a young man, he ate raw caribou and ingested parasites. As long as he was fit, the appetite of that inner colony was no problem. He stayed hard and strong as long as he was active.

He went back to his childhood home in Germany when he retired � stayed too long � got sick enough to be hospitalized � died there as puzzled doctors strained and struggled to diagnose what was killing him.

Autopsy revealed the cause � that colony of parasites had eaten his life out of him.

And of course the parasites died, too.

Unions often = monkeys = caribou worms.

That's the nature of the beasts.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh bullchit...those execs deserve their bonus pay...its the workers that dont deserve their $13.78/hour.
If they did what the items called for in their plan they not only deserve it, they are legally entitled to it.
Never had a bonus plan huh Buzz?

NRA Lifer

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Some of you are under the misconception that 'bonuses' are only paid when a company performs well. I have never seen an executive bonus plan where the financial well being of the company is the only item they were bonused on. It many cases it's not even remotely the majority of what they are bonused on. And bonuses are not 'extra'. They sign on the dotted line when hired. It is part of their compensation just like salary. Variable, yes, but not 'extra'.

And Employees also agreed on a contract of wages/benefits and also signed on the dotted line through negotiations with Management (who signed the same contract).

Fair aint Fair though when the fertilizer hits the ventilator...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And Employees also agreed on a contract of wages/benefits and also signed on the dotted line through negotiations with Management (who signed the same contract).

Seems it is. They are all out of work.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bottom line is Hostess is an archaic company producing the same chit products they always have, charging constomers more for less of their chit products.

Consumers have changed, hostess didnt.

The company has filed chapter 11 three times. When that happens, its the fault of leadership and poor management...period.

IMO, the union did hostess and the employees the favor of speeding up the inevitable and epic failure produced by mismanagement. Best case 18,500 employees work for 70% of their wage for a few more months until management makes the decision to close the doors anyway. Which, IMO, was going to happen even if the employees agreed to work for free.

Hostess Management screwed the pooch...and its 100% correct that companies die from the neck up.

This is a function of a poorly run company producting a chit product that nobody wants.

GeauxLSU,
Why have the past 6 CEO's that Hostess hired in the last 8 years not had a fuggin' lick of experience between them in anything to do with the baking/snack industry? Is it a good idea to pay a CEO with NO experience in the the business he is running $29K a week in Salary with almost double that in stock options and benefits?

You whine like a bitch about 13.78/hour being "overpaid" by people that actually HAVE experience in the job they are doing...yet systematically think 50K/week paid to a douchebag with zero experience is A-OK?

Is it a good idea to hire a fuggin' plumber to fix your car?

Of course, THAT FACT probably had nothing to do with the demise of Hostess.

Right?

Man, i'd sure like to make 50k a week for running something I dont know anything about.
You going to find an awful lot of guys on this board with that bald spot on the back of there heads......
Companies always die,
From the neck up.
Always.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Were the Unions representing Hostess workers and Hostess in labor negotiations?

Yes.

Did Hostess offer the Unions a contract that would pay money for services rendered?

Yes.

Did the Unions turn down said deal?

Yes.

Did Hostess warn the Unions that they could either accept the deal or they would file bankruptcy?

Yes.

Did they file bankruptcy, and as of today are most of those Union workers out of a job?

Yes.

We can argue all day long about management, companies dying from the neck up, Hostess was a dead man walking, CEO's hired to do this and that. And you can continue to toe the Union line all you want. But none of that will change the FACT that the UNIONS walked away from the table and left these people out of work.

Thousands of workers out of work today, thanks to an agreement to pay a third party to collectively bargain for their jobs. Tell me again why a BAKER needs a UNION. i have a hard time understanding why a freaking baker or school teacher or restaurant worker or an electrician needs a union other than pure and simple GREED.

stop toeing the party line and tell me why a grown man would need somebody else to help him negotiate his salary.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
smalljawbasser,

You're right, Hostess was a dead man walking...everyone with a single firing brain cell knew it.

The current CEO, was not hired to save the company...he was hired to liquidate the company (hatchet man). Thats what the guy does, thats his expertise as a "CEO".

Any employee, or anyone with even a remote clue, could figure out the company was toast either way.

I'd also tell them to stick in their a$$ in this case. Why work for 70% for a few more months to see the exact same result? Why let them use your 30% Salary savings to pay off the top execs, stock holders, and the liquidation CEO?

Just so you can watch them close the doors on THEIR terms with an even larger profit from ripping off their employees? The current CEO never had any intentions of saving the company and anyone that thinks otherwise is a FOOL. The previous 5 CEO's they hired in the last 8 years couldnt do it...what would lead you to believe the current liquidation CEO could?

I can tell you exactly why you need somebody else in Negotiations. Management hires experts to represent Management and negotiate with employees, vendors, safety, etc. etc. Thats ALL they do, full time job that they're paid for.

You expect an employee wiring a house or baking bread to be successful in contract, health/safety, benefits, etc. negotiations to represent themselves versus paid experts? They have a full time job they're doing already, and it has nothing to do with negotiations of any kind. Management would eat them alive in negotiations...FACT. Akin to pee-wee Herman taking on Mike Tyson in a boxing match...aint happening.

Having properly trained/educated negotiation team creates a level playing field in all negotiations. For the record, I'm pretty damn good at it.

Its the same reason I'd hire a lawyer to represent me in court...if you dont, you're simply begging for the mercy of the court system.

I dont beg...wont do it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The average wage for a Hostess bakery worker is/was $13.78/hr.

That doesn't sound excessive to me.

It is excessive if they are only producing $13.77/hr in value.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The average wage for a Hostess bakery worker is/was $13.78/hr.

That doesn't sound excessive to me.
So almost twice, 190% of, the federal minimum wage isn't excessive for a factory bakery worker? Okaaaaayyyy........

With the wage add in all the union benefits and determine if that reaches the excessive point. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One false notion that underlies all this is the assumption that a job exists for the benefit of the worker. No one in his right mind hires employers just so that they'll have plenty of good food on their tables.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.