Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Are the unions garbage?????

Yes

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No Ken, Americans have a RIGHT to a job and they have a RIGHT to make as much as they 'want' regardless of how much value they provide. The list of RIGHTS in America is growing everyday. The list of responsibilities is going the other way of course.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Unions are good. Good at killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Are the unions garbage?????

Yes
Well if you consider that garbage, before it was garbage, was something that served a purpose but now just stinks up the place and is expensive to get rid of and if you don't get rid of it it lowers the value of the place it resides.... I guess you could make that case.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
No Ken, Americans have a RIGHT to a job and they have a RIGHT to make as much as they 'want' regardless of how much value they provide. The list of RIGHTS in America is growing everyday. The list of responsibilities is going the other way of course.

No they dont...but they do have a right to form a Union, the right to Union Representation and the right to Negotiate Contracts.

Not the rest, as you falsely imply.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You've missed the sarcasm in LSU's voice. It's loaded with oppositalk.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BuzzH

No they dont...but they do have a right to form a Union, the right to Union Representation and the right to Negotiate Contracts.

Aren't you the one that compared the union worker to Pee Wee Herman?
I suppose they have a 'right' to demand anything their little hearts' desire. But when their demands outstrip their value and they wind up unemployed all the while their trusted still employed fat and happy union bosses still get paid, well, you'll have to excuse my diminished capacity for sympathy at their plight. But then again, I'm not as strong as Pee Wee Herman I guess when it comes to negotiating for myself.

NRA Lifer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unions = legalized (and encouraged) mutiny.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Having owned my own business for about thirty years, I always paid my employees their fair share. They never missed a payday and, if they were working FOR the good our our team, they got regular raises.

Many paydays, Karen and I went home with no check. Sometimes we caught up later, but mostly not.

I simply love it when folks talk about the RICH self-employeed small business man; AKA a hearless SOB.

Diff subject: I observing the hiring of executives in the larger firms, I am ever amazed that the companies seem honor-bount to hire out of another industry. In the firearms industry, you've gotta be gunny or you fail.

I simply cannot tell you how many times I've seen folks from the bread, or carpet, or lumber industry sign-on as the El-Presidente of a gun or optics company. They may know marketing and employee control, but they know nothing about the firearms industry.

The singular exception was my good friend Gary Williams. Gary signed on at Leupold and was from the carpet or linoleum industry, but he quickly became Chub's protege. Gary thrived at Leupold and in the firearms industry, in general. He's gone from Leupold now ... and it is totally Leupold's loss, in my totally honest opinion.

God Bless,

Steve

PS. Totally off the subject; when Karen and I retired, at age 49, we gave our best employee, a lady named Gail, two years salary and I paid the taxes. The lady was wonderfully appreciative and followed her dream of starting up a small jewelry store.

She went broke in two years.

There is owner mentality, where we work hard to perpetuate the health of the business.

Then there is employee mentality, where they want to milk every frickin' dime out of the business and give as little as possible back.

Gail was unable to adapt to ownership. She'd look outside and the sun was shining, so she'd close up shop and take a two-day trip to the beach. Meanwhile, there were customers pounding on her door.

And she hired everything done. Trust me, an owner has to be able to do any job in the store better than any tradesman or any of his employees. To be successful takes enormous sacrifices and no ego.

ST

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Yep, and an employer has the right to reject contracts. The problem with union shills is they somehow believe they have some sort of inherent ownership of the company. This probably stems from the fact that their attitude is "if management doesn't give us what we want we'll just shut this place down."

Last edited by okbowman; 11/16/12.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just a question.

Was Bain Capital involved in this at all?

Bet they blame this on Bush and or Romney.
Yea,unions are just looking out for the rank and file...always.
Makes you wonder why the Teamsters agreed to the new contract.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unions are so awesome....

And needed in todays business climate...

wink

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
As someone already stated, why in the HELL do I need, or would I want, someone to negotiate MY salary.

[bleep] the meek right in the meek hole.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
As someone already stated, why in the HELL do I need, or would I want, someone to negotiate MY salary.

[bleep] the meek right in the meek hole.

You saw the wink...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Haven't read through all the posts, but I've got to say it if nobody else will.

Their products taste like crap.

Maybe there was a time when they were made better, but it sure isn't now. Sorry to see the jobs go, but I'll not miss the Twinkies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Their hotdog buns are excellent. Soft and goody.

The sweet junkfood is garbage.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Twinkies and Ho Ho 's are going for 100.00 a box on ebay already. shocked WTF? Can't people find better crap to blow money on?

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep, and an employer has the right to reject contracts. The problem with union shills is they somehow believe they have some sort of inherent ownership of the company.

Yep, and the Union has the right to reject a contract as well.

Unions assume no inherent ownership of the company. Their concern is the fair treatment of Employees, a safe working environment, and to make sure the Company is living up to the contract they agreed to.

Last edited by BuzzH; 11/16/12.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This probably stems from the fact that their attitude is "if management doesn't give us what we want we'll just shut this place down."

I always said that if I owned a company and they voted to unionize, I would shut it down as soon as possible. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
"Hostess's plan to pay Mr. Driscoll $1.5 million in a yearly base salary plus millions more in additional awards�the full details of which Hostess didn't disclose�sparked the ire of a federal bankruptcy watchdog and one of the biggest unions in the case.

"They have amazing laws in this land that allow a company to file bankruptcy and give the CEO...such a lucrative contract while demanding deep, deep givebacks from its employees," Frank Hurt, the president of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, or BCTGM, said in an interview last month. "

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.